The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I wonder why (most) Americans don't do this.

A

Anon3x156

I always see Americans complain about their education system and how expensive college is in the states.
And a lot of people avoid college because of this.

Why don't you guys go to countries like Germany where college is free? or other European or non-European countries where college is free or very cheap. Europe is too far? Then go to Canada.

You'd have a Bachelor's in 3 years (in Europe), you would have lower living costs during college, you would have international friends, learn another language and have amazing memories.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I always see Americans complain about their education system and how expensive college is in the states.

Why don't you guys go to countries like Germany where college is free? or other European or non-European countries where college is free or very cheap. Europe is too far? Then go to Canada.

You'd have a Bachelor's in 3 years (in Europe), you would have lower living costs during college, you would have international friends, learn another language and have amazing memories.
It may be free for nationals but I doubt it's free for intentional students. In Canada international student fees are about triple the normal rate for Canadian citizens the last I checked.

A

Anon3x156

It may be free for nationals but I doubt it's free for intentional students. In Canada international student fees are about triple the normal rate for Canadian citizens the last I checked.
In Germany it's free for everyone.
Even if it's not free, it's definitely lower than 30 thousand dollars a year lol.

I don't know about Canada though.

TheGreatAli

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 21, 2023
Australia
In Germany it's free for everyone.
Even if it's not free, it's definitely lower than 30 thousand dollars a year lol.

I don't know about Canada though.
One problem though, you need to learn a new language

A

Anon3x156

One problem though, you need to learn a new language
Come on man there are a lot of majors in Europe that are taught in English

Also why do you see it as an obstacle? I see it as a benefit that comes with studying abroad.
I love learning languages. I want to learn French and Spanish so bad.

TheGreatAli

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 21, 2023
Australia
Yea but being able to go to those "cheap" or free universities, those are usually taught in the native language of the country. The majors that are taught in English are usually in private universities which charge the same amount as most other countries around the world.

I wanted to study in Germany or Spain but the language barrier prevented me.

A

Anon3x156

Yea but being able to go to those "cheap" or free universities, those are usually taught in the native language of the country. The majors that are taught in English are usually in private universities which charge the same amount as most other countries around the world.

I wanted to study in Germany or Spain but the language barrier prevented me.
Nah man you trippin...
For example in Turkey we have state-owned universities and there are a lot of majors that are taught in English.
This is more common in other more developed European countries. They use English in universities.

Also those private universities mostly cost around 5-10k, not 30k as in the US.

Also, it's not that hard to learn a new language. Might be challenging but definitely it shouldn't stop someone from studying abroad.

TheGreatAli

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 21, 2023
Australia
On second thought you are right. You've made me regret moving to Australia to study paying 50k per year..

A

Anon3x156

Yeah but you cannot live in Turkey without learning Turkish, the people there don't speak English
Bro you can learn the basics of any language, just to be able to hold basic conversations to handle your daily needs.
Also most people in universities speak English, especially if you're in a high quality university.

Also I remember there was an international English proficiency test where Germans scored higher than the Brits lmao.
German people speak very good English. Forget about Turkey.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Okay, just off the top of my head...

1. Americans don't like learning other languages.
2. Even if a class is taught in English, that doesn't mean that you're going to do well.
3. American English is different than the English the rest of the world speaks.
4. Americans are generally ignorant of how the rest of the world works, so they probably don't even know that there's free college to be had.
5. Europe is a place we talk about taking a year off before we go to college, not a place we dream of studying in.
6. Would a bachelor's degree from a European school help me get an American job? I suppose it depends on where and what industry, but the people who know that it'll help are smart enough to explore this option already. For the rank and file Americans, foreign degrees are a hindrance, not a help. For example anyone going into the medical field will have a tough time getting picked for rotations in hospitals...
7. College is for networking. Most Americans want to network with other Americans.
8. Americans have prettier girls in college. Or at least they used to when I went to college. I doubt much has changed.
9. Americans often take 5 years to go to college. Finishing in 3 years sounds like we have to grow up faster. Who wants to do that?
10. We can make international friends in our own universities.
11. Not to stereotype, but Americans are more fun. German are stodgy, buttoned up and not very fun.
12. A lot of American kids have an issue with this being the first time they're going to be away from home, and anywhere outside America sounds like it's going to be really really far away.
13. The GI bill won't pay for a foreign university.
14. Who cares about lower cost of living? Mommy and daddy and student loans pay for college. The people who you hear complaining are the ones that have started paying on their loans, which means that they aren't in college anymore...
15. At the end of the day, you can't beat a good old-fashioned American education. How do I know it's the best? Look at the price tag. Everybody knows that the more you pay the better it is. Lol.

As a caveat, these are not necessarily my beliefs, I'm just spouting what I think in general some might believe as reasons.

But I think it's funny how you ask the question, and then you started debating when you got answers. Are you curious, or do you just want to be right?

Why don't you come to America and try our universities before you get all judgy? ;)

A

Anon3x156

Okay, just off the top of my head...

1. Americans don't like learning other languages.
2. Even if a class is taught in English, that doesn't mean that you're going to do well.
3. American English is different than the English the rest of the world speaks.
4. Americans are generally ignorant of how the rest of the world works, so they probably don't even know that there's free college to be had.
5. Europe is a place we talk about taking a year off before we go to college, not a place we dream of studying in.
6. Would a bachelor's degree from a European school help me get an American job? I suppose it depends on where and what industry, but the people who know that it'll help are smart enough to explore this option already. For the rank and file Americans, foreign degrees are a hindrance, not a help. For example anyone going into the medical field will have a tough time getting picked for rotations in hospitals...
7. College is for networking. Most Americans want to network with other Americans.
8. Americans have prettier girls in college. Or at least they used to when I went to college. I doubt much has changed.
9. Americans often take 5 years to go to college. Finishing in 3 years sounds like we have to grow up faster. Who wants to do that?
10. We can make international friends in our own universities.
11. Not to stereotype, but Americans are more fun. German are stodgy, buttoned up and not very fun.
12. A lot of American kids have an issue with this being the first time they're going to be away from home, and anywhere outside America sounds like it's going to be really really far away.
13. The GI bill won't pay for a foreign university.
14. Who cares about lower cost of living? Mommy and daddy and student loans pay for college. The people who you hear complaining are the ones that have started paying on their loans, which means that they aren't in college anymore...
15. At the end of the day, you can't beat a good old-fashioned American education. How do I know it's the best? Look at the price tag. Everybody knows that the more you pay the better it is. Lol.

As a caveat, these are not necessarily my beliefs, I'm just spouting what I think in general some might believe as reasons.

But I think it's funny how you ask the question, and then you started debating when you got answers. Are you curious, or do you just want to be right?
Lmao hilarious answer
Why don't you come to America and try our universities before you get all judgy? ;)
What makes you think that a Turko has 50k 'Murican dollars to throw at your universities every year lol

I wish I had the money though. F Europe.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

What about Masters program? Sounds like good post-financial freedom retirement lifestyle.

Language wise I was thinking even if you cannot get admitted to the degree being taught in English (as they might be in high demand) at worst you can do a degree in English language. No way they are going to conduct it in their native language.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Lmao hilarious answer

What makes you think that a Turko has 50k 'Murican dollars to throw at your universities every year lol

I wish I had the money though. F Europe.

Are you from Turkey? The grass is always greener on the other side. Turkey IS home to some of the best-looking fairer species of the world.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
I don't get why people don't just print their own money. Just set up a printer in your basement and boom, all the money you could ever want or need.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I don't get why people don't just print their own money. Just set up a printer in your basement and boom, all the money you could ever want or need.
It happened in 2017 ICO crypto listing hype. Didn’t end well.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Someone can start a one man consultant company to do all the paper work for $800 dollar.

Last edited:

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
A

Anon3x156

Are you from Turkey? The grass is always greener on the other side. Turkey IS home to some of the best-looking fairer species of the world.
What does "fairer species" mean?

edit: I just googled, fairer refers to women i guess lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
If a MFer can't afford college without taking out loans, what makes you think they can change their life and move to another country for a few years? By taking out other loans? :santa"

A

Anon3x156

If a MFer can't afford college without taking out loans, what makes you think they can change their life and move to another country for a few years? By taking out other loans? :santa"
bro is you dummmmbbbbb you can live with 10k a year in Germany dude and college is 3 years there.. go work part time if you don't got the money you don't need to take any loans

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
as a student you can bro there are 1 person dorm rooms for 150-200€ and transportation is free for students

You seem to know a lot about this stuff. You really should start on YouTube or TikTok channel. Get the word out. Make ad revenue. Sign colleges as sponsors.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I studied in Germany for about about a month. Took two accelerated classes, and if I remember correctly, the cost of the program was $2k, which included a host family but not flight. I had considered going back for a "free" masters, but it didn't make sense to at the time when you have to pay for lodging, food, and other expenses.

My guess is that a lot of people who have the ambition to study internationally for an extended period of time are already getting good deals here in the US (full ride, scholarships, parental assistance, public uni, community->public). The rest just don't see it as a means to an end or have the financial ability to.

Studying for free in Germany is not a secret nor a catch-all solution to higher ed. It's in the top 5 destinations with like 500k international students per year and probably 10k Americans, so a lot of people are indeed already doing this.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Also why do you see it as an obstacle? I see it as a benefit that comes with studying abroad.
I love learning languages. I want to learn French and Spanish so bad.
I think they get stuck with the same job all their lives.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
You seem to know a lot about this stuff. You really should start on YouTube or TikTok channel. Get the word out. Make ad revenue. Sign colleges as sponsors.
Sounds like what a one person consultant side hustle can do.

-$800 package for full application procedure and advisory.
-How to apply, courses available and high school grades requirement, where to find places to live and how to find part-time jobs as students in Germany. What to be expected to live in Germany as a student….create a standardized knowledge template.
-With AI assistance anyone can write a 50 post blogs quickly to test market.

There could be lifestyle or personal reasons that are non-financial for someone to study oversea.

-Downside risk that this demand can be terminated by policy changes in Germany. Biggest downside is that demand is entirely seasonal. Probably only expect business to come in before the application period.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.