The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to ruin a good ad.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I like to get ads in the mail, they provide a couple minutes of hunger or envy inducing pictures and a very brief distraction from whatever it is I'm doing.

So as I was looking through a flier I got from pizza pizza, I noticed the ads were fairly effective. Colourful words, well illuminated foodstuffs, highlighted price. Pretty good feel to them.

The last ad I look at reads as follows:
ANY SIZE
pizza
with 3 Toppings
+ 10 Chicken Wings
+ 4 Cans of Pop
+ 1 Dipping Sauce
$20.99
Not valid with Party Pizzas

Not bad, right? It looks like a good combo deal, but there's a blunder. You see, PizzaPizza uses little orange blobs with white text in the corner for their 'upgrade cost'. Things like add 3 toppings for $2 and whatever. But this one says XL add $3.

That right there ruins the entire ad, I think. When reading that the first thing my greedy mind translates the top into is "Ok, so it's extra large..." That sets my expectations. By the time I notice the little dot, I feel insulted. It looks sneaky. I actually went from idly entertaining the possibility to focusing on how it looks sneaky... After all, "Any size" will translate to extra large (or maybe party pizza). It just looks like they're hoping the consumer has banner blindness and accepts the extra $3 charge when they make the order because they feel committed already.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.