The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Heavy steel product - how to scale?

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
My partner and I own a welding & fabrication shop. We do custom railing, artistic iron gates, custom steel garden planters, etc.

The term "impact millions" has caused a stir in my soul because - like MJ's books suggest - both scale and magnitude are causing me problems. Our growth just isn't what it could be.

I'm located just out of Salt Lake City Utah - and I'd love to send product to Chicago, or New York or Seattle - but these products are extremely heavy. I mean, the shipping cost for a 4' tall by 2' wide garden planter would be almost as much as the price of the design.

How can I take our custom made product to people in other cities in a cost effective manner?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The way I see it, you basically have 3 options...

1. Larger margin products that can eat shipping and still be valuable to customers and profitable to you.

2. Better local market penetration.

3. Ship batches to other cities to get better economies of scale with shipping. Different product hubs. Wholesale could accomplish this.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I don't have a sure answer, but what comes to mind is the fact that information is lighter than iron. Maybe sell the plans, or license them to fab shops closer to the customer? It's that or solve the problem of shipping costs, as far as I can think it.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Is it possible to manufacture the products in such a way that it would require a little bit of assembly by the customer in order to ship in much smaller boxes?

Back in the day I did a lot of marketing work for a company that makes large metal sculptures like palm trees and cacti. I believe they ship product in a way similar to how I mentioned above. They charge $150 flat fee plus $50 for each additional product. I think they had a distribution system of some kind or fulfillment warehouses closer to the coasts. They are headquartered smack in the middle of the country.

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
I don't have a sure answer, but what comes to mind is the fact that information is lighter than iron. Maybe sell the plans, or license them to fab shops closer to the customer? It's that or solve the problem of shipping costs, as far as I can think it.

Wow. I didn't even consider that. Maybe make some blueprints of each one of our custom made steel planters and move forward from there... that's a fantastic idea. THANK YOU.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
You're welcome. Hope it helps :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.