The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

guys I need your help

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
Hello
Our college published the accepted names for higher education Scholarship and yes my name is on that list , I got a chance to get my Master's and PHD degree money-free in engineering and yes that was all I wanted before I am Unscripted , now the Issue is that I got a job 9-5 and I barely can find time and energy to work on my personal project .
my time management skills are below zero and am a hell of a lazy person , what took people 1 hour took me 3 so I do push myself to the extreme in regarding working on my project after work even though I do realize how much it's important to me and that my whole life is dependent on it .
now with the scholarship results published my whole surrounding of people are pushing me to accept it and they cannot find a reason why should I not , they don't understand me but you guys do , If I accept it am afraid I will never have time to build my unscripted life and maybe I will even got trapped in getting busy that even the idea of unscripted will slip through my ears .

I need help I don't know what to do , I have tried so many ways to organize my time and manage it but after mostly 3 days I fail no matter what I do it seems that I can never build a habit so I can't rely on the Idea that i will have a better management skills and will be able to study and build a business at the same time .

so what do you think ? what do you advice me

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
"Unscripted "
iu

If I understand correctly, you need tips on how to manage better your time so you can pursue your PHD while building a business, am I correct?

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
If I understand correctly, you need tips on how to manage better your time so you can pursue your PHD while building a business, am I correct?
managing my time has became a nightmare to me , I am unsure anymore than i can do that , so asking for tips regarding this issue is not my main purpose out this thread am hopeless in this matter the only thing i can fight for is preventing more activities from hijacking what's left of my day, am asking for your opinion if i should take the scholarship or not considering the circumstances

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
As far as time management, seriously audit your time. I'm not the best at this myself and I'll find myself wasting one or two or a few hours away in front of the TV or computer sometimes or whatever. Be incredibly mindful of whatever you are doing at the moment. Remember, you have all the power to chose to do with what you have. Find pain in not improving or being the best version of yourself.

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
Time management is difficult at first, but gets better with time (see what I did there?) and much discipline.

Eisenhower Box:
How to be More Productive by Using the “Eisenhower Box”

Two Minute Rule:
How to Stop Procrastinating by Using the "2-Minute Rule"

Learn to chunk large tasks. Make yourself take action with the two minute rule. Find some nootropics, and possibly find your 'why.'
I am familiar with that box actually have tried it and about the 2-minute Rule I have previously watched a ted talking about nearly the same idea here it is
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7E973zozc

it's like you guys see no problem with continuing my educational degrees but managing my time

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I read something in The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck or The One Thing (can't remember off the top of my head) that said something like: "Life is not about being disciplined all the time. That would be incredibly boring and would lose its fun. Instead focus your will-power on one habit and keep reinforcing that habit for 66 days, which is the magic number when it comes to habit formation according to studies."

Build habits that support you.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
managing my time has became a nightmare to me , I am unsure anymore than i can do that , so asking for tips regarding this issue is not my main purpose out this thread am hopeless in this matter the only thing i can fight for is preventing more activities from hijacking what's left of my day, am asking for your opinion if i should take the scholarship or not considering the circumstances

Can't tell you which ingredients to use if I don't know what you're tryin' to cook buddy. That's a very personal decision at the end of the day and if you seek counsel from anyone, make sure they got the whole story or else their answer is irrelevant.

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
sounds like an interesting book to be on my list I will check that out , and yes I have tried building that one life changing habit still failed , It's like my mind is an anti-commitment freak

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
Can't tell you which ingredients to use if I don't know what you're tryin' to cook buddy. That's a very personal decision at the end of the day and if you seek counsel from anyone, make sure they got the whole story or else their answer is irrelevant.
doesn't my story above seem clear and sufficient? I know no one can tell me the exact ingredients but still some general cooking tips can be useful ,specially from people with nearly the same mentality so here is where am seeking help

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
honestly i think you will study and leave your important life depending project! otherwise you wouldnt ask this question....

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
honestly i think you will study and leave your important life depending project! otherwise you wouldnt ask this question....
"study and leave your important life depending project" is the phrase everyone around me is telling (family and friends), so maybe I only need someone to tell me the otherwise and that's why I came here , I just hanged out with my friend asking me to think and be logical implying accepting the scholarship and leaving business doesn't know that my brain cells takes every thinking direction but logical

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
"study and leave your important life depending project" is the phrase everyone around me is telling (family and friends), so maybe I only need someone to tell me the otherwise and that's why I came here , I just hanged out with my friend asking me to think and be logical implying accepting the scholarship and leaving business doesn't know that my brain cells takes every thinking direction but logical

your family and friends run any business?

Do you make any profits with your project atm?

1. If you go study you will loose all the learning process behind a business, like fail and error, how to make sales etc...

2. One question that i hate most in my life is " What if" ....

I cannot told you how to decide, but i wanted to say also with my preview sentence, if its so important to your life why shouldnt be worth it to follow this project.

Also you can start studying and you write just 20 to 50% of the exams per semester if you can manage this?

How would Bill Gates decide? How would people decide with an entrepeneurial mindset, what do you think?hmm think about it.

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
t
How would Bill Gates decide? How would people decide with an entrepreneurial mindset, what do you think?hmm think about it.
thank you
........you know after all it's my life and I should live it the way I want not what other people want , the entrepreneur life burn inside of me is all I want to live even if i never succeed or make it I will be content with trying and not settling down for mediocrity.
you can't give your all while your mind and attention is two half shuttered .... I can't
and so I shall as the song above says follow your heart and my heart doesn't beat for a Dr prefix

bugsybunny

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 2, 2016
Now the Issue is that I got a job 9-5 and I barely can find time and energy to work on my personal project...

Assuming you are getting 8 hours of sleep + work commute time, I can assure you that you have at least 25 weekday hours to attribute to your business. And another 20-24 hours on weekends. You have 40-50 hours that you can actually attribute to your business.

Not having time with a 9-5?
Not having time is clocking in 40 hours in 3 days.
Add commute time and you literally only have time to eat and sleep.
I didn't complain though...because while I worked 40, there were guys working 44-48h in 3 days.

Sacrificing sleep and showing up to work, half-dead, in sub-optimal weather conditions, risking your life, dangling hundreds of feet in the air is one of the most motivating experiences to get out of this scripted life.
I am fortunate to have experienced it.

As life sucking as those days were, they make me appreciate just how much time I really have.

Sorry to sound crude, but I've wasted enough responding to this thread.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
..it's like you guys see no problem with continuing my educational degrees but managing my time

It's like you want the forum to give you the reply you're looking for. If you say:

..my time management skills are below zero and am a hell of a lazy person , what took people 1 hour took me 3..

you're either distracted or slow, on top of being "a hell of a lazy person." Address the time management issue and it'll free up time for you to think on your own whether or not you should be pursuing higher education.

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
It's like you want the forum to give you the reply you're looking for. If you say:
yes and that's where I missed up , I thought someone else can help me with the decision but realized that it's merely my own mission since no one can ever know me the way I do and no one knows what's best for me like me

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
so what do you think ?

You're doing too much at once.

Getting a PhD is a full time effort. Getting your PhD while working a job is brutal. Getting your PhD while working and starting a side project? I can't imagine.

And you say you're a lazy person on top of that? Ouch.

You are trying to juggle 5 balls when you can't even catch the first.

So - pick something, and get very, very good at juggling that one thing.
Then put another ball into the mix. See how they play together. Get very good at juggling those two balls.
Then a third.

There are people out there who can get a PhD, work a full time job, start a side business, be a parent, volunteer, travel, and read a book a week but I don't know many people who can just 'decide' to do all that at once from nothing. They build up to it. They get very, very good at juggling everything together. But they didn't start that way.

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
There are people out there who can get a PhD, work a full time job, start a side business, be a parent, volunteer, travel, and read a book a week but I don't know many people who can just 'decide' to do all that at once from nothing. They build up to it. They get very, very good at juggling everything together. But they didn't start that way.
I have always wondered about these people they are like superHumans with super time management skills , never actually thought that they build up to it ,that gave me a light to walk towards thank you .

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Is getting your Master's and PhD a life goal you want to accomplish either way, even if you had all the money in the world? If so, I would say go for it now.

Is the business you want (or think you might want) to start related to engineering where an advanced degree and greater understanding would help? If so, are you sure? Then I would say go for it now.

Think of it this way - in your life, you're going to have a successful business, make a lot of money, be a "Fastlaner/Unscripted " either way. One route just delays this process a little bit.

When you're older and already have a lot of money and have accomplished your goals in this aspect of your life, are you going to wish you took up this opportunity and had your Master's and/or PhD?

No one can answer this for you. You could do both at the same time. Or you could start a business now and get your Masters/PhD later (and pay for it?). Completely up to you, but it helps to look at it from several different perspectives in your life, especially looking back retrospectively. This has helped me with similar decisions.

Also, the guys above have offered great advice too. Whatever you decide though, be committed.

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
Is getting your Master's and PhD a life goal you want to accomplish either way, even if you had all the money in the world? If so, I would say go for it now.

Is the business you want (or think you might want) to start related to engineering where an advanced degree and greater understanding would help? If so, are you sure? Then I would say go for it now.

Think of it this way - in your life, you're going to have a successful business, make a lot of money, be a "Fastlaner/Unscripted " either way. One route just delays this process a little bit.

When you're older and already have a lot of money and have accomplished your goals in this aspect of your life, are you going to wish you took up this opportunity and had your Master's and/or PhD?

No one can answer this for you. You could do both at the same time. Or you could start a business now and get your Masters/PhD later (and pay for it?). Completely up to you, but it helps to look at it from several different perspectives in your life, especially looking back retrospectively. This has helped me with similar decisions.

Also, the guys above have offered great advice too. Whatever you decide though, be committed.
those are core questions depending on them I can take my decision in less than a minute , good mindset you got there also thank you

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.