The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google Shows Home Page Instead of Sub Page

Marketing, social media, advertising

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Hi. I run sydneypahire.com.au I have a page where the home page is showing up in Google even though a sub page seems far more relevant. For example:

1613774655407.png

This is the page that I want it to go to:

I can't work out why. The sub page has a fair bit of text, images, videos, relevant page title, H1, H2 etc.
If you look at my competitors below they're sub pages are showing up & some have hardly any content.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I spoofed my computer to search as if I was in Sydney, and I saw both pages show up in the top two spots, home page, then product page.

So you could be seeing a personalized search result that's ignoring the product page.

It's also possible that this is just a test. If your product page used to show up there, maybe Google it's just testing your homepage in that position. Depending on how it performs maybe things revert back.

If this is a legit ranking, then I think SEOguy is right in his first diagnosis. It's probably a factor of the content being so close in relevancy, that your home page has more links/authority giving it the edge.

Regardless, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Getting the top two search results in Google is an example of doing something right. That's actually hard to do. Both pages are highly relevant to the search term. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about "fixing" this.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
How many links do you have pointing to the page? How similar is the content?

If you mean external links:

1613798110302.png
That's a lot of links. The few that I was able to access seemed spammy.

1613798188503.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
I spoofed my computer to search as if I was in Sydney, and I saw both pages show up in the top two spots, home page, then product page.

So you could be seeing a personalized search result that's ignoring the product page.

It's also possible that this is just a test. If your product page used to show up there, maybe Google it's just testing your homepage in that position. Depending on how it performs maybe things revert back.

If this is a legit ranking, then I think SEOguy is right in his first diagnosis. It's probably a factor of the content being so close in relevancy, that your home page has more links/authority giving it the edge.

Regardless, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Getting the top two search results in Google is an example of doing something right. That's actually hard to do. Both pages are highly relevant to the search term. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about "fixing" this.
Thanks BizyDad. Yes it could be a location thing because I'm not in Sydney at the moment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.