• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

First, luck was overrated, then underrated

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by JAVB, Aug 27, 2018.

1. JAVB

JAVB Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $267
    Let's talk about "luck". Yeah, that one that some would say is "the reason" to one's success, and others would disregard as of trivial and not really important (what matters is "hard work"! kind of people). Which group are you?

I dislike these losers who keep saying that success only comes to those lucky ones. These lazy ones won't do s*** and just complain. Out of their mentality and our present entrepreneurial fever/era and the Internet, we've seen a revolution against luck and chance. This is the second group... the "I can be Elon Musk, Bill Gate, or Warren Buffet" group.

If you follow the entrepreneurship media, you'll see how the majority of success stories that get publicity mostly praise the hard-working entrepreneur who founded this startup, who had this amazing idea, who raised millions of dollars... I see his/her picture and I'm like... what am I doing wrong? You never read about being in the right city, or the right moment in history/industry, the right age, right university... you name it.

My point with this post is that we need to stop wishing the "same" kind of success we read everywhere. Our story, our success (or fail) story, will come out of our hard work, yes, but also out of our own circumstances, and yes, chance and luck. Let's give credit where it is due and let's keep working hard but knowing from the beginning that f***, it may just not work. Period.

Magica likes this.
  2. Magica

Magica PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    I'm trying to open my eyes to both sides as there are many deciding factors. Luck is as important as hard work; the results may vary even if I'm following the exact steps those successful people tell me. We all want a guaranteed path to success. No, there isn't.

3. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,856
    When I was a teenager, I went on my high school orchestra's trip to Walt Disney World. We went to this recording studio in the middle of nowhere. There was a very professional conductor that went through music with us and we got to record music for this upcoming ABC show. One thing he told us was "Success is when preparation meets opportunity. A person could practice music all day but never have the opportunity. Another person may have opportunites given to him every day but if he doesn't work for it he'll never be successful."

4. lewj24

lewj24 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,161
    Most people think luck is random. They think one day they'll just end up getting lucky. Go ask people what luck is and they will say things like winning the lottery, being born into money, or having natural talents.

That's not at all what luck is.

Luck is odds. Luck is math. Every action you take changes your odds one way or the other. Most people do things that decrease their chance of getting lucky like watching TV, eating junk food, buying things they can't afford, etc. When your best odds are the lottery... You're going to lose.

The lucky ones are the ones who work on their goals consistently. You may fail, you may mess up, but when your actions every day are designed to get you closer to achievement, what are the odds you will get there if you never give up? Odds are you'll eventually get lucky. Especially compared to a normal person.

But when described like this it doesn't seem like luck at all.

Because it isn't. It's work.