The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlaners: what's your opinion on my recent life story and vague future plans? Feedback appreciated

VoraciousReader

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
May 31, 2017
UK
There's no internet community I'd trust for advice more than this one so I'd much appreciate any feedback or comments. I intend to contribute to this forum more when I feel I have more worth sharing

I left University two years ago after doing well on a "useless" degree. For the last year of Uni I was working on building a freelance copywriting/blogging sideline. I put about 20 hours a week into this and by the time final exams rolled round I was earning about 1k a month which at the time was very satisfying. My clients were very satisfied with the work and my writing skill was steadily improving. Anyway one set of clients ran an SEO business and offered me an online "internship". I was wowed at some of the things they showed me over skype convos; dozens of sites they ran, private blog networks, numerous pieces of software that seriously impressed me at the time. The man who I worked with (who ran the company) was a highly intelligent and persuasive person, although he was extremely eccentric

So I took them up on the offer after graduation. They told me I'd get a cut of profits on sites I worked on. I was always skeptical about that but didn't really care since I was in it to learn money web skills. So I ended up devoting 40 hours a week to working on their sites and SEO campaigns. I learned an absolute ton over 3 months or so, but predictably I outlived my usefulness to this outfit and they ghosted me. I was pissed for sure, but I knew that I'd learned a ton and realised that I loved internet marketing. Unfortunately at around the same time I was forced to break up with my "college sweetheart" (lol). This hit me much harder than expected and left me mired in depression and self destructive behaviours for several months. I had to move back in with my parents and with my writing income dried up and desperate need for money I took on a construction job. Fastforward 18 months and I'm working off the last week of my notice.......

Construction really isn't for me and I knew it was only a stop gap. It's allowed me to save a ton of money and get my head straight again..... But I decided recently that I want to pick up where I left off with digital marketing and entrepreneurship and become the pro I always knew I could (MJs books helped enormously)

So I have a one way ticket to Asia booked for next month. I decided that a completely different environment would be good to shake me out of my complacency. I plan on getting a part time teaching job over there (20 hrs a week) and devoting another 30-40 into my continued education

As I have no business idea and I'm as green as can be, I figured that focusing on learning valuable skills was the best path so I can maximise opportunities and ideas when they inevitably come

So I want to teach myself:

• Copywriting
  • Basic Web Design/Dev
  • SEO
  • PPC
  • Web Analytics
I plan on teaching myself these by setting up my own small project sites to practice on. Once I feel competent I will try my hand at some freelancing. I will also be living in a city beloved by remote workers and digital entrepreneurs so I will be doing my utmost to mix with interesting people and keep my eyes open for opportunities....... I feel like I'm sure to uncover an unmet need sometime in the not too distant future that will present me with a fastlane opportunity, and I want to be in the best place possible to find and capitalise on it

So there's my maddeningly vague life plans for the next year or so. If anybody has read through this wall of text (apologies, I intended to be more concise) then I thank you. If you want to comment, call me an idiot, or offer some of your perspective - then I thank you doubly. Hope your weekend is going great :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
best of luck to you. Im currently in the construction industry , and looking to get into the internet business entity. I find that trading time for money only gets you so far.Once you have built something and have the ability to scale it , its limitless . Yes I have failed several times in other venues, MLM as such. M J,s book has helped to open my eyes wider to passive income . You are on the right track if you stay focused on thing you want to build. I quit my job and had kids and a house payment and jumped into my own business and never looked back years ago . I was scared to death , but I had to make it work . Having the attitude ,this must work ,this will work no matter what helps over come fear and keep focused . Just know your going to make some mistakes ,just learn from it . Sounds like your pretty committed ,so go for it .

fastlane2

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2017
sacramento
There's no internet community I'd trust for advice more than this one so I'd much appreciate any feedback or comments. I intend to contribute to this forum more when I feel I have more worth sharing

I left University two years ago after doing well on a "useless" degree. For the last year of Uni I was working on building a freelance copywriting/blogging sideline. I put about 20 hours a week into this and by the time final exams rolled round I was earning about 1k a month which at the time was very satisfying. My clients were very satisfied with the work and my writing skill was steadily improving. Anyway one set of clients ran an SEO business and offered me an online "internship". I was wowed at some of the things they showed me over skype convos; dozens of sites they ran, private blog networks, numerous pieces of software that seriously impressed me at the time. The man who I worked with (who ran the company) was a highly intelligent and persuasive person, although he was extremely eccentric

So I took them up on the offer after graduation. They told me I'd get a cut of profits on sites I worked on. I was always skeptical about that but didn't really care since I was in it to learn money web skills. So I ended up devoting 40 hours a week to working on their sites and SEO campaigns. I learned an absolute ton over 3 months or so, but predictably I outlived my usefulness to this outfit and they ghosted me. I was pissed for sure, but I knew that I'd learned a ton and realised that I loved internet marketing. Unfortunately at around the same time I was forced to break up with my "college sweetheart" (lol). This hit me much harder than expected and left me mired in depression and self destructive behaviours for several months. I had to move back in with my parents and with my writing income dried up and desperate need for money I took on a construction job. Fastforward 18 months and I'm working off the last week of my notice.......

Construction really isn't for me and I knew it was only a stop gap. It's allowed me to save a ton of money and get my head straight again..... But I decided recently that I want to pick up where I left off with digital marketing and entrepreneurship and become the pro I always knew I could (MJs books helped enormously)

So I have a one way ticket to Asia booked for next month. I decided that a completely different environment would be good to shake me out of my complacency. I plan on getting a part time teaching job over there (20 hrs a week) and devoting another 30-40 into my continued education

As I have no business idea and I'm as green as can be, I figured that focusing on learning valuable skills was the best path so I can maximise opportunities and ideas when they inevitably come

So I want to teach myself:

• Copywriting
  • Basic Web Design/Dev
  • SEO
  • PPC
  • Web Analytics
I plan on teaching myself these by setting up my own small project sites to practice on. Once I feel competent I will try my hand at some freelancing. I will also be living in a city beloved by remote workers and digital entrepreneurs so I will be doing my utmost to mix with interesting people and keep my eyes open for opportunities....... I feel like I'm sure to uncover an unmet need sometime in the not too distant future that will present me with a fastlane opportunity, and I want to be in the best place possible to find and capitalise on it

So there's my maddeningly vague life plans for the next year or so. If anybody has read through this wall of text (apologies, I intended to be more concise) then I thank you. If you want to comment, call me an idiot, or offer some of your perspective - then I thank you doubly. Hope your weekend is going great :)

your vague future plans? i feel like you have a good grasp on what you want out of life, you've learned from the experiences you've been thru and well i think you'll do just fine, when you wake up in the morning right down the top 3 goals you want to accomplish based on importance then work on those till you've completed them then move on to the next 3 and repeat until you've successfully accomplished all you set out to do

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Looks like you are figuring it out, keep going. Try to make money and educate yourself at the same time. It will speed you up.

Good luck!

VoraciousReader

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
May 31, 2017
UK
Looks like you are figuring it out, keep going. Try to make money and educate yourself at the same time. It will speed you up.

Good luck!

Thanks

All I'm going to focus on is just putting the hours in and trusting the process. Even if it takes me 5-10 years to see any real success I'll be happy. Did you do something similar?

your vague future plans? i feel like you have a good grasp on what you want out of life, you've learned from the experiences you've been thru and well i think you'll do just fine, when you wake up in the morning right down the top 3 goals you want to accomplish based on importance then work on those till you've completed them then move on to the next 3 and repeat until you've successfully accomplished all you set out to do

Thanks for the advice. That makes a lot of sense. Time management and organisation are definitely areas I need to work on. There's a gold thread on here about laser focus and productivity using some kind of app. I've been thinking about implementing something like that when I'm off the road and settled in a couple of months, I think I'll use that thread as a guide. To do lists are great too though, I always used to get more done when I used to write them for the next day before going to sleep!

best of luck to you. Im currently in the construction industry , and looking to get into the internet business entity. I find that trading time for money only gets you so far.Once you have built something and have the ability to scale it , its limitless . Yes I have failed several times in other venues, MLM as such. M J,s book has helped to open my eyes wider to passive income . You are on the right track if you stay focused on thing you want to build. I quit my job and had kids and a house payment and jumped into my own business and never looked back years ago . I was scared to death , but I had to make it work . Having the attitude ,this must work ,this will work no matter what helps over come fear and keep focused . Just know your going to make some mistakes ,just learn from it . Sounds like your pretty committed ,so go for it .

Yeah you're right mate. From what I've learned from MJs books (and others) and just observation of the world, creating business systems that can scale is the only way to truly crack it for most people. What do you do in construction? I worked for a roofing firm for the last 18 months. Are you already working on your internet business?

Thanks. It sounds like you're on a great path and aren't going to let anything get in your way. Best of luck to you too!

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
Thanks

All I'm going to focus on is just putting the hours in and trusting the process. Even if it takes me 5-10 years to see any real success I'll be happy. Did you do something similar?

Thanks for the advice. That makes a lot of sense. Time management and organisation are definitely areas I need to work on. There's a gold thread on here about laser focus and productivity using some kind of app. I've been thinking about implementing something like that when I'm off the road and settled in a couple of months, I think I'll use that thread as a guide. To do lists are great too though, I always used to get more done when I used to write them for the next day before going to sleep!

Yeah you're right mate. From what I've learned from MJs books (and others) and just observation of the world, creating business systems that can scale is the only way to truly crack it for most people. What do you do in construction? I worked for a roofing firm for the last 18 months. Are you already working on your internet business?

Thanks. It sounds like you're on a great path and aren't going to let anything get in your way. Best of luck to you too!

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
Tile contractor self taught by school of hard knocks and common sense.Roofing is a young mans job, I have done it in the past .Im looking at somethings now ,but not any focus yet

VoraciousReader

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
May 31, 2017
UK
Tile contractor self taught by school of hard knocks and common sense.Roofing is a young mans job, I have done it in the past .Im looking at somethings now ,but not any focus yet

Well good luck, hope you find something solid to focus on

VoraciousReader

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
May 31, 2017
UK
Where you moving to in Asia?

Depending on where you move, it can be more of a distraction than a help.

Ho Chi Minh City

I'm well aware it has the potential to be a distraction. But I've wanted to spend some time away from my home country for years and think I can make it work. I likely won't get another chance while I'm young. The country is booming and I understand there's a large contingent of western remote workers and entrepreneurs there...... No doubt it will be distracting at times but I think overall it will fit my goals better than my current living situation

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ho Chi Minh City

I'm well aware it has the potential to be a distraction. But I've wanted to spend some time away from my home country for years and think I can make it work. I likely won't get another chance while I'm young. The country is booming and I understand there's a large contingent of western remote workers and entrepreneurs there...... No doubt it will be distracting at times but I think overall it will fit my goals better than my current living situation

I'm in HCMC right now. Definitely a distraction but you can make it work. I'm leaving in two days, but message me if you have questions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.