The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Dropshipping to build up capital and experience?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Ywan

New Contributor
Dec 3, 2018
Hi guys,

I need your advice. I have an idea for a brand with a few products, but need about 15-20 k to implement the idea. Since I can't and don't want to take a loan, I will have to bootstrap it.
Now for my question: I was thinking of doing a dropshipping store to both build up the capital I need for the brand and learn about online marketing right away so that by the time the brand launches I have some experience and I don't have to start from scratch.

What do you guys think about this? Is dropshipping in 2021 profitable enough to build up the capital with it or are there better options?
If so, what would that better options be? What would you do instead to build up capital?

Thanks.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

monfii

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2020
Brussels
When Jeff Bezos built Amazon end of the 90s, he thought about doing dropshipping and eventually sided against it because he didn't see the business plan. Now, dropshipping has made some people millions, but that was before consumers heard about aliexpress. Generally, it's a bad business model because you control nothing, and create no value.

If you want to learn sales, marketing, etc, i recommend you pick a skill (design, web design, copywriting) and start a side hustle with that skill. Or you can build a blog. My blog taught me tones I wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Finally, regarding your main idea, you should test and validate it before investing 15k-20k.

Good luck

Monfii

Ywan

New Contributor
Dec 3, 2018
When Jeff Bezos built Amazon end of the 90s, he thought about doing dropshipping and eventually sided against it because he didn't see the business plan. Now, dropshipping has made some people millions, but that was before consumers heard about aliexpress. Generally, it's a bad business model because you control nothing, and create no value.

If you want to learn sales, marketing, etc, i recommend you pick a skill (design, web design, copywriting) and start a side hustle with that skill. Or you can build a blog. My blog taught me tones I wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Finally, regarding your main idea, you should test and validate it before investing 15k-20k.

Good luck

Monfii
This is exactely, what I asked myself. Where is the value, that one creates when doing dropshipping. I could not find a good answer.

Thanks for the tip with learning a skill. I will definitely consider that. Is there one skill, that is better than the others? Or is it just a question of how much time you invest in a skill to get good, because they all are valuable?

Do you happen to have any tips on how to test an idea before investing money?

Thanks.

poseidn

Contributor
Aug 1, 2016
all dropshipping will do is lose you capital.. very rare to succeed with it and requires lots of ad spend before ever see profit.

It's not some get rich quick scheme you can use to plug n play and build your money up to invest in other things, although the ads, youtube vids will make it out to be like that. Even very skilled DR marketers will burn through lots of $ before profiting. Not a easy option as you seem to think (thank the gurus for that!)

monfii

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2020
Brussels
This is exactely, what I asked myself. Where is the value, that one creates when doing dropshipping. I could not find a good answer.

Thanks for the tip with learning a skill. I will definitely consider that. Is there one skill, that is better than the others? Or is it just a question of how much time you invest in a skill to get good, because they all are valuable?

Do you happen to have any tips on how to test an idea before investing money?

Thanks.

It depends on you and it depends on the market. The market is craving for blockchain developers at the moment. Is it smart to learn blockchain development as a side hustle?

If you have 5 years to waste, why not. But you don't, so the answer is no.

You need a skill you can learn reasonably fast and that the market needs.

Web design is one idea: GOLD! - How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Copywriting is another idea: GOLD! - Lex DeVille's: 15 Days to Freedom - Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less

If you can do web design, copywriting, some SEO, and some online ads (Facebook, IG, TikTok, Pinterest) then you can offer online marketing agency services: GOLD! - CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Finally, to learn how to validate your idea, you can check out my thread: EXECUTION - Is this the way to best validate my idea?

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - can you DM me your info and I will send on some proper links. I could type it out but it...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
It's an affiliate link, so it's hard to give those up! The affiliate links are automatically...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
I would suggest you change the free book to paid as soon as possible, and use the revenue to...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
A week ago someone asked if one of my courses is still relevant (referring to the Upwork...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...

What are Fastlaners Currently Reading?

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads