The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Idea

Idea threads

Yesi.Ale

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 18, 2023
I came up with this new business idea for a product its not really new but it fits a market need however my fear is that it may come to close or infringe on a already patent idea. I want to put it into action but I don't want to catch a serious law suit for it. So my idea is to start a side hustle to build up extra capital in order to hire a patent attorney as a safe so they can let me know if my idea will infringe on the patent idea. Is this a good plan? If not How else should I go about things?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
Call around. An IP attorney may be able to do a consultation and advise you on the risks enough to decide if it's worth pursuing. The cost to look into it may be lower than you expect, don't be afraid to ask for an estimate. The real cost would likely come from filing your own patent.

Yesi.Ale

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 18, 2023
Call around. An IP attorney may be able to do a consultation and advise you on the risks enough to decide if it's worth pursuing. The cost to look into it may be lower than you expect, don't be afraid to ask for an estimate. The real cost would likely come from filing your own patent.
thank you

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 30, 2023
Read The Right It. It is the exact thing you need - I know because I needed it bad.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
If your idea is to so close to another product, does the product need to be created? Maybe it does. IP lasts for 20 years in the United States. If you think the product you want to make is to similar, can you change the design? There are a bunch of similar product that has design changes that allows you to work around the IP. Depending on how well IP is written, if the person who holds the patent is very general and broad in their IP and can be more difficult to work around their IP. If it is narrow in scope, it may be easy to work around the design.

Do a patent search on Google Patents and see what similarities there are to your design. If it is basically the same product, then you should see if you can differentiate your product enough.

This is what I would do. Basic patent search to see what is out there. Draw or CAD design your product idea. Try and differentiate from other products where you can that will improve the product. Reach out to a patent attorney and ask talk to them about your idea. Provided images of your product verses competing ideas. They can give you more accurate legal advise in their intro conversation that should be free. Based on what they say, make your decision on how you will proceed.

IP lawyers will want you to get a provisional patent as soon as possible, stating that you may have someone take your patent if you don't file ASAP. Thought it might be true, it is also self serving. They want your money. If you file to early, you also may run out of time filing for your non-provisional patent(one-year after filing your PPA) and will be forced to spend $5-10k for your non-provisional patent or lose the rights to the IP.

There is also pro bono work you can get from the USPTO if you earn less than 3x the federal poverty line, which is like $45,000 annually on your last tax statement. I would start with just calling an IP lawyer first though.

Yesi.Ale

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 18, 2023
If your idea is to so close to another product, does the product need to be created? Maybe it does. IP lasts for 20 years in the United States. If you think the product you want to make is to similar, can you change the design? There are a bunch of similar product that has design changes that allows you to work around the IP. Depending on how well IP is written, if the person who holds the patent is very general and broad in their IP and can be more difficult to work around their IP. If it is narrow in scope, it may be easy to work around the design.

Do a patent search on Google Patents and see what similarities there are to your design. If it is basically the same product, then you should see if you can differentiate your product enough.

This is what I would do. Basic patent search to see what is out there. Draw or CAD design your product idea. Try and differentiate from other products where you can that will improve the product. Reach out to a patent attorney and ask talk to them about your idea. Provided images of your product verses competing ideas. They can give you more accurate legal advise in their intro conversation that should be free. Based on what they say, make your decision on how you will proceed.

IP lawyers will want you to get a provisional patent as soon as possible, stating that you may have someone take your patent if you don't file ASAP. Thought it might be true, it is also self serving. They want your money. If you file to early, you also may run out of time filing for your non-provisional patent(one-year after filing your PPA) and will be forced to spend $5-10k for your non-provisional patent or lose the rights to the IP.

There is also pro bono work you can get from the USPTO if you earn less than 3x the federal poverty line, which is like $45,000 annually on your last tax statement. I would start with just calling an IP lawyer first though.
Thank you I appreciate the help

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.