The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are these books worth reading ?

For any book discussion

Dr. Goldenage

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 18, 2023

Bachelor Pad Economics: The Financial Advice Bible for Men​

The Intelligent Investor Rev Ed.: The Definitive Book on Value Investing​

Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!​

The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life​

Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!​

Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor​

The Little Book That Still Beats the Market​

Which one is the best/worst ?

Which ones would you add to the list ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
From your list: I read Rule #1. It was pretty good at losing me money! Also, I see more margin of safety shit on your list. If you do not have money don't bother with investing now. Investing makes sense if you have a lot of money. For now, read Unscripted and the Millionaire Fastlane 2 times each.

Another notable book I also like is The 4-hour Workweek, but it overpromises. But, some of the strategies in that book eg delegation and hiring people I tried and are solid. Also moving to a country where your money buys more stuff when you accumulate wealth makes sense (Portugal I am looking at you). But take it with a grain of salt.

Rich Dad Poor Dad I have not read, I saw the summary on youtube and I agree with the point that your house is a liability instead of an asset if it is not rented out. But I would disagree with taking uncalculated risks mentioned in the book. Also, I do not like books talking about investments especially focusing on real estate. The real estate market still has risk so you need to be careful and make informed choices when investing to mitigate it.

The last book I would read for money if I was starting out is The Psychology of Money which helps you understand a bit about how money works, how your personal values play a role, and what financial independence means so that you can design your success path.

So to summarize if you want to read books about money, and you are a beginner, start with Unscripted and the Millionaire Fastlane . Read them 2 times, then read the Psychology of Money and then the 4-hour Workweek.

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark
I have only read Rich Dad, Poor Dad, but those books lead me to Unscripted and then The rich dad books are completely absolete.

Besides the obvious (MJ's books) I would add the book of Simon Sinek; start with why. It has a lot of power regarding working with purpose (instead of passion)

Kirby73

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 31, 2021
I've got The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life on Audible, its ok.

My view is that we can get carried away with reading books in the search of answers (guilty) but I think its about reading a few and then get started and course correct and read relevant books along the way.

For me Unscripted is good for where I am at right now

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I have only read Rich Dad, Poor Dad, but those books lead me to Unscripted and then The rich dad books are completely absolete.

Besides the obvious (MJ's books) I would add the book of Simon Sinek; start with why. It has a lot of power regarding working with purpose (instead of passion)
Start with why is a very bad book. It has 0 actionable advice. It is just feel-good shit. I don't know if we are reading the same book.

In summary, Simon in "Start with Why" emphasizes the importance of passion as a byproduct of a strong "Why." When individuals and organizations have a clear understanding of their purpose, they can ignite passion in themselves and others, leading to greater success and a deeper sense of fulfillment.

This is shit. In general, Simon is shit, but you can learn a lot by incorporating his tactics, as with most gurus.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Rich Dad Poor Dad I have not read, I saw the summary on youtube and I agree with the point that your house is a liability instead of an asset if it is not rented out. But I would disagree with taking uncalculated risks mentioned in the book. Also, I do not like books talking about investments especially focusing on real estate. The real estate market still has risk so you need to be careful and make informed choices when investing to mitigate it.
The funny thing is that RDPD is more of a motivational book, rather than a how-to book.

John T.Reed, an actual real estate guy, did a teardown of the Kiyosaki book back then:

Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!​

Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!​

Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor​

My thoughts overall is that the value investing thing (margin of safety and all) evolved through the ages, based on whatever problems the markets had in those days.

Benjamin Graham came up with the initial theory with the aim of selecting companies that were strong enough to weather the Great Depression of his time.

Also, folks did not participate much in stocks back then. You didn't even have the stock charts of today...just some rudimentary ticket shit and you had to rely on your broker for dear life.

Warren Buffett saw a world that was quickly opening up to globalisation-- so that was why he started looking beyond just 'cheap' companies, and instead focused on long-term competitive advantages. And he was right, because the world got more connected and competitive even today.

Now that would be looking for businesses that could satisfy your Commandment of Control and Entry.;)

Bear in mind that Buffett does not 100% rely on value investing, as the gurus teach!
Since he has a HUGE chunk of ownership in many companies he picks, he is an activist investor.
Now that is a different ball game.

Also, although Buffett has warned folks against options, he has turned Berkshire into a great trading house of sorts for writing options.

So I'd just go with the Little Red Book, but if you still wanna read Buffett's lore, go with his shareholder letters.
If you wanna learn how an industry titan thinks, that is a good read.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Start with why is a very bad book. It has 0 actionable advice. It is just feel-good shit. I don't know if we are reading the same book.

In summary, Simon in "Start with Why" emphasizes the importance of passion as a byproduct of a strong "Why." When individuals and organizations have a clear understanding of their purpose, they can ignite passion in themselves and others, leading to greater success and a deeper sense of fulfillment.

This is shit. In general, Simon is shit, but you can learn a lot by incorporating his tactics, as with most gurus.
I’m curious as to what you define as actionable advice? I’ve read this book and thought it was decent.

Is there a difference between advice that says find a strong purpose vs move to a different country?

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I’m curious as to what you define as actionable advice? I’ve read this book and thought it was decent.

Is there a difference between advice that says find a strong purpose vs move to a different country?
Bullshit advice: Work harder!
Actionable advice: Work on designing your environment to achieve your goal without needing willpower. Everything that you need should be easy to reach. Book a timeslot in your calendar for this task.

Bullshit advice: Stop smoking don't be a pussy!
Actionable advice: Alen Car's book: Here is how your addiction works and how your mind plays tricks on You. Once you see the way this works you cannot unsee.

Bullshit advice: Lose weight. Don't be a pussy. Eat less! Move more! Don't you want to live more?
Actionable advice: Keep trigger foods out of the house. Out of sight out of mind! Try measuring your portions. Weigh yourself 5 times a week just to be conscious and take the average or median weight to keep track. Start with 1 good habit at a time.

Bullshit advice: Find your purpose!
Actionable advice: Write down your values and what you care about on a piece of paper or on a notepad. Rank these on a scale of 1 to 5. Ask yourself why you value these things. What actions can you take now in 1 week, 1 month and in 1 year's time to honor those values? Design your life based on these actions.

I hope this makes sense!

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Yes, all books are worth a read for the very fact that everyone knows at least one thing you don't - and you never know what passing phrase, sentence or paragraph can spark a new idea.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Bullshit advice: Work harder!
Actionable advice: Work on designing your environment to achieve your goal without needing willpower. Everything that you need should be easy to reach. Book a timeslot in your calendar for this task.

Bullshit advice: Stop smoking don't be a pussy!
Actionable advice: Alen Car's book: Here is how your addiction works and how your mind plays tricks on You. Once you see the way this works you cannot unsee.

Bullshit advice: Lose weight. Don't be a pussy. Eat less! Move more! Don't you want to live more?
Actionable advice: Keep trigger foods out of the house. Out of sight out of mind! Try measuring your portions. Weigh yourself 5 times a week just to be conscious and take the average or median weight to keep track. Start with 1 good habit at a time.

Bullshit advice: Find your purpose!
Actionable advice: Write down your values and what you care about on a piece of paper or on a notepad. Rank these on a scale of 1 to 5. Ask yourself why you value these things. What actions can you take now in 1 week, 1 month and in 1 year's time to honor those values? Design your life based on these actions.

I hope this makes sense!
I'd say that the short ones are actually better advice.
The longer ones are the "teach me all the steps" kind of advice.

How I lost weight: I stopped eating as much, started counting calories and started going to the gym 6 days a week.

Don't be cute. Do what you know you should do.

All these small "actionable" things will be detrimental to you actually becoming a strong person. A book says find you purpose. Instead of calling it "bs advice" and whining a strong a independent man goes and searches "how do I find my purpose".

So in summary, the ones at the top are the things you need to do and know you need to do. The things at the bottom are cute the more complicated version of the truth.

Is Allen cars book life-changing? Yes
Does putting food out of sight help? Yes

Will they solve your problem ? No

The problem of the fat guy isn't that there is fast food in his house. His problem is that he eats to much shit and doesn't move.

The problem of the broke wantreprenuer (me) is not that I don't have a perfect productivity system. It's that I don't work hard and focused.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I'd say that the short ones are actually better advice.
The longer ones are the "teach me all the steps" kind of advice.

How I lost weight: I stopped eating as much, started counting calories and started going to the gym 6 days a week.

Don't be cute. Do what you know you should do.

All these small "actionable" things will be detrimental to you actually becoming a strong person. A book says find you purpose. Instead of calling it "bs advice" and whining a strong a independent man goes and searches "how do I find my purpose".

So in summary, the ones at the top are the things you need to do and know you need to do. The things at the bottom are cute the more complicated version of the truth.

Is Allen cars book life-changing? Yes
Does putting food out of sight help? Yes

Will they solve your problem ? No

The problem of the fat guy isn't that there is fast food in his house. His problem is that he eats to much shit and doesn't move.

The problem of the broke wantreprenuer (me) is not that I don't have a perfect productivity system. It's that I don't work hard and focused.
I wish people knew what they should be doing but they don't. Most people are morons. This is why the average person is overweight or obese and living paycheck to paycheck. They have not developed a good system for when their friggin willpower will run out. And it will always run out at some point. They have no plan B for that. Most people think that they are superhuman when indeed they are monkeys in space. Hint, we all are.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Seems like you like investing related book.

The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution​

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.