The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I silly for changing careers from Engineering to Sales?!

hammybean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 17, 2023
Hi all,
great to be here, I've recently read fastlane millionaire, which opened my eyes to the mindsets and beliefs I used to have that were flawed.. so I decided to change careers from process engineer to sales engineer.

I'm a 24 yr old man that had a good slowlane job with with a good company, but after reading flm, I wanted out, and I didn't know where to start besides learning something new, sales?!

I don't know how to set up businesses, I don't know how to find suppliers or manufacturers, I don't know how to market, and I am too afraid to wager the small sum of cash I have saved in a venture that will likely end in failure because I lack experience in business...

maybe some words of advice from someone that's been in similar shoes to me?

thanks for reading

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
if you are an engineer, you should reach out to me. i run an engineering firm. might be opportunity

hammybean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 17, 2023
if you are an engineer, you should reach out to me. i run an engineering firm. might be opportunity
have posted on your page mate, cheers, I am in the UK btw, experience in lean system and process optimization

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hi all,
great to be here, I've recently read fastlane millionaire, which opened my eyes to the mindsets and beliefs I used to have that were flawed.. so I decided to change careers from process engineer to sales engineer.

I'm a 24 yr old man that had a good slowlane job with with a good company, but after reading flm, I wanted out, and I didn't know where to start besides learning something new, sales?!

I don't know how to set up businesses, I don't know how to find suppliers or manufacturers, I don't know how to market, and I am too afraid to wager the small sum of cash I have saved in a venture that will likely end in failure because I lack experience in business...

maybe some words of advice from someone that's been in similar shoes to me?

thanks for reading
It's a smart transition. I've been in a similar boat. You are going to gain valuable skills, especially people and leadership skills, and mindset changes. Your technical thinking will always stay with you too.

And you will have one thing the other salesmen will never have - being an engineer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hammybean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 17, 2023
It's a smart transition. I've been in a similar boat. You are going to gain valuable skills, especially people and leadership skills, and mindset changes. Your technical thinking will always stay with you too.

And you will have one thing the other salesmen will never have - being an engineer.
thanks for the reply brotha

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Another engineer here. Following 10 years of corporate slow lane I founded a consulting firm that experienced 25+ years of steady growth. It was a great run and a very good living and I was considered “successful”. But it was still slow lane and followed the script. The ONLY way to move from the slow lane to the fast lane is through conscious effort and a lot of hard work. Your slow lane path is probably not critical to the process; what is important is to start planning your first side hustle asap and start executing. You don’t need to invest all or even most of your nest egg initially; just figure out how to turn $1 into $2 and go for it. The fast lane is full contact, and you can’t learn and grow by watching from the sidelines.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...