The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

22, squarely in the Slowlane. Here to make my escape! (Introduction)

FluidWater

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 30, 2023
Hey everyone,

I'm currently 22 and a recent college graduate, where I studied finance and computer science.

I have been working in tech as a software engineer for the last few months and am making decent money (6 figs). However, I have the burning belief that there is more to life than this. I cannot imagine doing this for the next 40 years. I have not had a specific FTE, but, I have a general malaise about the 9-5 lifestyle.

I recently read all of MJ's books which was incredibly educational and inspiring. This weekend I got very clear on my goals using the 1/5/10 framework. And I have started using the daily planner from GoalSumo.com (today, my most important task is to make this introduction post).

One of the biggest transitions I need to make in life is to transition from consumer to producer.

I have read a ton of books, watched numerous videos, listened to copious podcasts, and have taken action on a number of things (mainly in the realm of health, fitness, productivity, and finances). However, I feel that the shift from implementing things for myself to producing value for the world will be a difficult but worthwhile endeavor.

I will have $100K saved by the end of this year, and am excited for all the possibilities that this provides. In the meantime, I will keep my RAS open for opportunities and start taking massive action on ideas.

Excited for this journey and to meet you all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

knz

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Apr 6, 2020
Sounds like you're putting the fastlane fundamentals in place. Looking forward to reading about your transition from consumer to producer and what that area of producing might be.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Dude hell yeah!
Saving 100k will be a hell of a nest egg and would let you live without a job for at least a year while also purchasing inventory or equipment for whatever you do decide to start. You have a golden opportunity here so just don't lost sight. I lost sight a couple times despite starting at 22 as well and all of a sudden I was in my late 20s- not fun lol.
Best of luck.

A

Anon3x156

Dude hell yeah!
Saving 100k will be a hell of a nest egg and would let you live without a job for at least a year while also purchasing inventory or equipment for whatever you do decide to start. You have a golden opportunity here so just don't lost sight. I lost sight a couple times despite starting at 22 as well and all of a sudden I was in my late 20s- not fun lol.
Best of luck.
100k would let him live without a job for a year? That's in the U.S
If he moves to a cheaper country, that money would let him live without a job for way longer.
I could live with 100k for 10-11 years in Turkey.

Cost of living comparison

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like you have all the tools, from skills to a little bit of savings to really do something impactful.

Welcome aboard and great to have ya.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
638%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey everyone,

I'm currently 22 and a recent college graduate, where I studied finance and computer science.

I have been working in tech as a software engineer for the last few months and am making decent money (6 figs). However, I have the burning belief that there is more to life than this. I cannot imagine doing this for the next 40 years. I have not had a specific FTE, but, I have a general malaise about the 9-5 lifestyle.

I recently read all of MJ's books which was incredibly educational and inspiring. This weekend I got very clear on my goals using the 1/5/10 framework. And I have started using the daily planner from GoalSumo.com (today, my most important task is to make this introduction post).

One of the biggest transitions I need to make in life is to transition from consumer to producer.

I have read a ton of books, watched numerous videos, listened to copious podcasts, and have taken action on a number of things (mainly in the realm of health, fitness, productivity, and finances). However, I feel that the shift from implementing things for myself to producing value for the world will be a difficult but worthwhile endeavor.

I will have $100K saved by the end of this year, and am excited for all the possibilities that this provides. In the meantime, I will keep my RAS open for opportunities and start taking massive action on ideas.

Excited for this journey and to meet you all.
Welcome and glad you are recognizing signs and symptoms of the 9-5 life early on. I was able to get out by 24, as I was in a similar position as you (full time engineer with great pay).

You are in a GREAT place to start your fastlane journey as you have a solid income stream coming in to experiment and go through all the trials and tribulations.

Good luck on your journey !!

FluidWater

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 30, 2023
Sounds like you have all the tools, from skills to a little bit of savings to really do something impactful.

Welcome aboard and great to have ya.
Welcome and glad you are recognizing signs and symptoms of the 9-5 life early on. I was able to get out by 24, as I was in a similar position as you (full time engineer with great pay).

You are in a GREAT place to start your fastlane journey as you have a solid income stream coming in to experiment and go through all the trials and tribulations.

Good luck on your journey !!

@MJ DeMarco @fastlane_dad

Thank you both!

FluidWater

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 30, 2023
Dude hell yeah!
Best of luck.
100k would let him live without a job for a year? That's in the U.S
If he moves to a cheaper country, that money would let him live without a job for way longer.
I could live with 100k for 10-11 years in Turkey.

Cost of living comparison
I agree. Can easily stretch it to a few years in an international location and leave enough for bootstrapping something.

Cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...