The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$200,000 in equity...Now What?

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
I just stumbled across a beautiful 5/4 duplex (one unit being a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and the other a 3 bedroom, 2 bath. . Its REO and listed for $160,000. ARV in the area is $360,000 and it needs about $10,000 in repairs (To bring it up to market value, its still livable w/o repairs). Fair market rent in the area for a 2/1 is $900. Its not yet listed on the MLS. I have No Cash & Bad Credit. What can I do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I just stumbled across a beautiful 5/4 duplex (one unit being a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and the other a 3 bedroom, 2 bath. . Its REO and listed for $160,000. ARV in the area is $360,000 and it needs about $10,000 in repairs (To bring it up to market value, its still livable w/o repairs). Fair market rent in the area for a 2/1 is $900. Its not yet listed on the MLS. I have No Cash & Bad Credit. What can I do?

email the information to me? :cheers:

Seriously though, you need a partner. Do you have any cash? If so, buy an option on the property. For example, approach the owner (bank I presume) and tell them you will give them $5k for a 60 day option to purchase at $160k. Then bust your a$$ finding a buyer and sell them the property.

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
will the bank accept the offer if there is a contract clause subject to a partner pending decision or assessment aka If i don't find a buyer within the 60 days i get my buy option back? I don't have 5k, but I'm sure I can obtain it somehow...
I was thinking about a hard money lender, but most only lend 60-70% and I have shitty credit (which i'm working on)
Any-other options?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
will the bank accept the offer if there is a contract clause subject to a partner pending decision or assessment aka If i don't find a buyer within the 60 days i get my buy option back? I don't have 5k, but I'm sure I can obtain it somehow...
I was thinking about a hard money lender, but most only lend 60-70% and I have shitty credit (which i'm working on)
Any-other options?

With an option, you are essentially buying time, nothing else. With the option, you are buying 60 days of time for $5k. You would not get the money back. This is the risk you take with options. If there really is $100k of equity, the property should sell pretty quickly once it gets listed so you shouldn't have problem selling it for a profit if you get on the front end of the deal.

Your only other option is to go to FFF (friends, family and fools) for money and a partner. Maybe you could find some FFF's who can cumulatively front you the 20-30% down payment in exchange for a piece of the deal. Of course you will also need a partner with good credit who can qualify for the mortgage.

LesG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 15, 2010
San Francisco
Most would want to partner or pay you a finders fee.

If that won't work, HML still works if it really is this good.
You just need a HMLer that wants the property if you default.
You can email me the situation.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Find a partner, fast because if its as you say it will probably be under contract in a couple of days.

If it isn't than it probably isn't a very good deal.

AdamJordan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2010
I agree with the Above comment..Absolutely find a partner on it. The only thing I would put into question is the price of the property and your return on it. I'm in Florida, but no matter what state you're in you should be able to find a better priced property than that. As a real estate investment agent, I'm working with a property that is a 4/2 block duplex. believe it or not 35K!! needs about 5-10k in rehab and expecting rent to be 600-700 per unit. All i'm saying is that you dont neccesarily have to stretch your wallet when sometimes all it takes is finding the RIGHT deal.

Adam Jordan

jrmartin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Aug 4, 2010
SW Florida
I agree with the Above comment..Absolutely find a partner on it. The only thing I would put into question is the price of the property and your return on it. I'm in Florida, but no matter what state you're in you should be able to find a better priced property than that. As a real estate investment agent, I'm working with a property that is a 4/2 block duplex. believe it or not 35K!! needs about 5-10k in rehab and expecting rent to be 600-700 per unit. All i'm saying is that you dont neccesarily have to stretch your wallet when sometimes all it takes is finding the RIGHT deal.

Adam Jordan

The price of his property seems like it could be right in line with the market depending on where he is at! Also, if FMR really is $900 for a 2/1 then they should easily be looking at $2500-3000/month in rental income.

I dont think his issue is not having the money to put into THIS property, I think its not having money to put into ANY property. Swift, I would suggest you find someone with some liquid cash who can pick up the deal. I wouldnt suggest you go into it looking for some sort of partnership, but instead look to collect a finders fee of sorts on the property. Take some quick cash (if your numbers are really accurate, say 5-8K) and ask to be kept in the deal for the experience sake. Develop the relationships, gain some knowledge, put some much needed money in your pocket, and then start bringing a little more to the table later on down the line.

Adam, if I had to guess, I would say either Tampa or Lehigh Acres??

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada

Speaking for myself, rental property is worth 5x gross annual rent. Assuming that I could gross around $2,000 a month for this duplex that would translate to $24,000 per year. The maximum price that I would pay is $120k. That would give me the leeway to absorb the costs associated with all the expenses that this rental will need.

Even if I could gross $2,500 a month this would translate to a max price of $150k.

Considering the current market environment I would put in a bid of $110k and see what happens. There would be a good chance that the bank would respond favourably.

I could be horribly wrong (it happens often), but I don't think that I could tenant the duplex for $3,000 gross a month unless it is in a fairly upscale neighbourhood. It would need to be a B+ or A- building I think.

Considering that you have no cash and poor credit you could try and bird dog the opportunity to an investor for a couple thousand. It would be worth it especially if you could get it under contract from the bank and indication that they would consider $120k.

As an investor myself I would not find ARV useful. It doesn't give me any useful information about the propery unlike gross rent, property tax, crime stats, etc.

For myself, each of my 2 bed 2 bath condos in Phoenix, AZ (bought short sale or REO) are 830 sq ft and they rent out for $700 a month in B- neighbourhoods and are listed at $35K to $40k each. So 3 of these would rent out for $2,100 gross so that's why I'm thinking that the ballpark for this duplex is around $2,000.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.