The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your listings on other companies websites:ex: Powered by ______

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I have seen many websites putting their content, search functions and such on other peoples websites, sometimes it says powered by, sometimes not. This seems like a big thing i know its been around forever but im trying to understand how companies are fully capitalizing on this. Lets say you have a real estate listings website, how does this help you. It seems all of the content stays on the other persons website, and most of the time never getting to yours, how is this beneficial? Why let other sites grow a customer base, will they not try to start their own company similar to yours once they get a taste?

Does this take a ton of custom programming and such to actually get on other people websites?

here is an example loopnet is powering another website.

Property Search

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I can't answer the first few but I can help with this one..

Does this take a ton of custom programming and such to actually get on other people websites?

Yes it would. What type of programming experience do you have? I something put together (for my own experimentation) I could let you see if you'd like. Granted, I'd definitely need to add comments, and what not to help it make more sense for others. :rofl:

The basic idea behind how it works is easy (and there are a lot of ways you could do it. My example would only be one of the ways. If you don't have much programming experience it probably wouldn't be of much help to be honest. Things you should probably know:

-HTML
-JSON
-Jquery
-PHP

Edit: You should also know what sanitizing input is if you planned to incorporate it into your website. There is none since there was no intention of ever putting it up.

moop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 1, 2010
The website you linked to, I'd imagine they have some sort of profit sharing/affiliate arrangement with loopnet.

If they did become a competitor, loopnet could easily cut them off.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
But i feel i see a huge opportunity lets say you wanted to approach the times newspaper or something, once they get a taste and traffic for your content they may just start generating a business off of yours.......?

I could never code this myself. php but i would obviously have to pay someone, it seems difficult buuut everyday they just make things easier and easier. it seems the tracking would be the biggest issue for both parties not just hosting your content on their websites.

I see smart ways to implement this with bigger companies maybe one day.... dare i say buyout?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Loopnet is powering their search. A website like that would not be able to have their own real estate search engine. For that website, it's simple code drop into their site and they give their customers a way to search for listings.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
I have seen many websites putting their content, search functions and such on other peoples websites, sometimes it says powered by, sometimes not. This seems like a big thing i know its been around forever but im trying to understand how companies are fully capitalizing on this. Lets say you have a real estate listings website, how does this help you. It seems all of the content stays on the other persons website, and most of the time never getting to yours, how is this beneficial? Why let other sites grow a customer base, will they not try to start their own company similar to yours once they get a taste?

here is an example loopnet is powering another website.

Property Search

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking about the business model, can you reprhase it?

Deege

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 12, 2008
Well from what it looks like, without much research, Loopnet seemingly provides an easy way to add an MLS listing system to a Real Estate website, an awesome alternative to setting up and updating your own database of your listings, combining them into a search function giving each listing specific parameters to make the users search time quicker and more dialed.

I ran into this problem once when i designed a website for a local RE Agent.

As you can imagine it's quite a bit of coding, why not use their service when its seemingly drag and drop code.

But what does Loopnet get out of it?
I'm not sure, It could be anything from improved SEO to hoping to get a curious lead, or even direct leads. Either way, that "Powered by" isn't there for nothing, you have to know there getting a stronger customer base just by providing a simple but usable service

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
well i really was just wondering what does loopnet get out of it? Now imagine someone went to realestatesales dot com and loopnets content was there, plenty of people out there will continue to go to that site to find listings so loopnet almost lost their own customer.

This is unless loopnet is getting customers from these sites, i just do not see how they would do that. So my big question was how is loopnet benefiting from this?

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Specificly for this company - loopnet, I think that their revenue model is based on lead generation to brokers.

If you search for a property (through their site, or the powered search tool), you have a decent link to contact the listing broker. I also noticed some referall information in the link - so thats my bet.

If this is the case - they are happy that someone is using their tools and databases, because they just bring them more customers.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
no but the only thing that is happening is click the button "contact this broker" and it brings up the "email this person" and it goes through the back end, but they do not sell the lead.

It is a monthly service for everyone. What is confusing is if you actually click around it never brings you to loopnet so again, people can use that other site fully functional without going to loopnet.

The only way people will go to loopnet is if they click the logo at the bottom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.