The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You have to leave your comfort zone!

Anything related to matters of the mind

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
This is something I have experienced on my way so far. It is one of the most important things you need to do in order to be successful - be it your business, human relations or something completely else.
So let it say me once again: You have to leave your comfort zone in order to have success!

But What is the comfort zone?

All the things that feel familiar and safe. The environment you surround yourselves with because your are (or at least think you are) in control of what is going to happen next.

But comfort zone sounds good? Why on earth should I leave it?

Because you are missing thousands of opportunities! Let's for instance assume you're in the library and see a wonderful girl all alone who's just about to leave. You neither have a girlfriend nor are you married and you'd really like to get to know this girl simply because of her looks.

If you immediately approached her you can stop reading this text now. You're already an expert in leaving comfort zones.

But let's be honest. More than 90% of the population would not approach her. Of course they'd let the opportunity slip away because it would feel 'strange' for them to approach her and just say Hi and start talking. Maybe they'd be feared of rejection. Maybe they'd be feared the situation could embarass them.

The truth is: Everything they are feared of is an illusion. They don't know what's going to happen - they predict. And unfortunately people always tend to predict the worst. In reality you don't know anything about this girl and therefore cannot predict anything either. The only way to find out what's going to happen is to try it out. Believe me, the chances she'd react totally different than 90% of the population would expect are extremely high...

Leaving your comfort zone will not just improve your life when it comes to human relations (like in the example) but literally every area of it!

Sounds good! But how can I leave my comfort zone?

By doing things that feel strange or have an excuse for. Two little things that will help you:

- Start off slowly
- Accept instead of fight the strange feeling that occures

The rest you'll have to find out for yourselves - it's all part of the process. Believe me it'll be worth it. Don't be the 90% - be part of the 10% who don't find excuses but solutions.

This all was written from my personal experiences. If you'd like to hear another source talking about the comfort zone read this aritcle by Bob Parsons, founder and CEO of Go Daddy:

Want to be successful? Get out of your comfort zone! Start a new business. Risk your life. Try public speaking.

I hope this helped some of you - Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Awesome post! Rep++++

I think once you get out of your comfort zone enough times the uncomfortable becomes the comfortable, or almost the norm. I think we all run into things in everyday life that proves this.

The girl example is fantastic. I think you can tell alot about the guy who didn't approach her and the one who did. The common denominator for not taking action is ultimately the fear of failure, and it implies to everything for talking to a girl who might not be interested to starting a business that may leave you bankrupt.

I've found with even with myself that leaving your comfort zone is just the beginning and to do it consistently is difficult but attainable. Even to this day I sometimes choose inaction over action, but what helps me is when I ask myself "What's the worst that can happen?" If the girl rejects me, there's a thousand others just like her. If the business fails, I'll start another. This is the mentality I've been trying to attain and I think in a way I'm almost there.

Great thread!

razda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Dec 10, 2008
Utah
dk, this post shows wisdom beyond your age. Well beyond. When I was 17 I did not have that kind of wisdom. All I thought about was playing sports and having fun with friends. Great Post!! :great:

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I wrote this article a while ago, but think it somewhat fits this thread. DKT91 is spot on about getting out of your comfort zone.

Is your boss paying a good price for your life? Are you really giving your job the best? Have you given your best effort, your best attitude, the best years of your life?

These questions may seem bizarre but here's my point. Too many of us get locked into jobs and only focus on making it from day to day. Unfortunately, we often forget to look at the big picture.

I promise not to ramble on about self-enlightenment or advocate quitting everything so you can spend years bouncing from hostile to hostile. Honestly, I know little about those topics anyway. I will challenge you to examine your life and ask if this is really what you want it to be.

In our society, we are conditioned to do the following: go to school, get a job, start a family, work, work, work, retire, then work some more, and die. It seems that most people choose to live a boring existence rather than live adventurously. What ever happened to "follow your dreams", "be your own boss" and "live life to its fullest"? I mean lets face it; this is your shot. Life goes on whether you’re willing to live it or not, so are you really happy with your progress thus far?

Of course I realize that work is a necessity of life. In fact, it is good to work because it gives individuals a sense of self-fulfillment and it often yields products that benefit others. I m not saying, don't work. I am just asking, does your job make you happy? It seems a rare thing to find someone who absolutely loves his job. Oh those people are out there, but the majority of workers I would say would rather be doing something else if they could.

People settle for comfortable and "stable" even at the cost of their own happiness. Sure working for a large company may offer a descent salary, good benefits, and a promise of gold watch at retirement, but is it really worth it? Is it really worth investing your time in this company for 20, 30, even 40 years in the hope of reaching the goal they set for you? For some the answer is yes, but not at this forum. I wonder, is there something out there that you are better suited for and that will ultimately lead you to a happier existence? Why not at least consider it?

When you were young, did you think, "When I grow up, I want to be a doctor, a fireman, a police man, or an astronaut?" How many of you planned on being a successful millionaire and retiring early? Now, did you ever think you would grow up to take on the job you have now? If not, then what happened?

Too often we allow ourselves to be funneled into jobs based on past decisions. The more we invest in a job, the less our dreams and ambitions influence our lives. Why should dreams fade away and never be realized? So this is my challenge to you, what would you like to do if you could change your life right now?

Now, decide what must be done to fulfill that. You say there is too much at risk? Then is it possible to keep your job and pursue your dream on the side? Even if you only invest an hour weekly toward your dream, what's the worst that could happen?

The worst, you will be able to say you tried to live your dream. At best, you will succeed, live a happier life, and inspire others to dream as well.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
This is something I have experienced on my way so far. It is one of the most important things you need to do in order to be successful - be it your business, human relations or something completely else.
So let it say me once again: You have to leave your comfort zone in order to have success!

But What is the comfort zone?

All the things that feel familiar and safe. The environment you surround yourselves with because your are (or at least think you are) in control of what is going to happen next.

But comfort zone sounds good? Why on earth should I leave it?

Because you are missing thousands of opportunities! Let's for instance assume you're in the library and see a wonderful girl all alone who's just about to leave. You neither have a girlfriend nor are you married and you'd really like to get to know this girl simply because of her looks.

If you immediately approached her you can stop reading this text now. You're already an expert in leaving comfort zones.

But let's be honest. More than 90% of the population would not approach her. Of course they'd let the opportunity slip away because it would feel 'strange' for them to approach her and just say Hi and start talking. Maybe they'd be feared of rejection. Maybe they'd be feared the situation could embarass them.

The truth is: Everything they are feared of is an illusion. They don't know what's going to happen - they predict. And unfortunately people always tend to predict the worst. In reality you don't know anything about this girl and therefore cannot predict anything either. The only way to find out what's going to happen is to try it out. Believe me, the chances she'd react totally different than 90% of the population would expect are extremely high...

Leaving your comfort zone will not just improve your life when it comes to human relations (like in the example) but literally every area of it!

Sounds good! But how can I leave my comfort zone?

By doing things that feel strange or have an excuse for. Two little things that will help you:

- Start off slowly
- Accept instead of fight the strange feeling that occures

The rest you'll have to find out for yourselves - it's all part of the process. Believe me it'll be worth it. Don't be the 90% - be part of the 10% who don't find excuses but solutions.

This all was written from my personal experiences. If you'd like to hear another source talking about the comfort zone read this aritcle by Bob Parsons, founder and CEO of Go Daddy:

Want to be successful? Get out of your comfort zone! Start a new business. Risk your life. Try public speaking.

I hope this helped some of you - Good luck!

One way many of you, who are scared of doing stuff out of your comfort zone, can do is this (Just a suggestion). Find yourself a die. Find yourself a paper and a pencil and write 6 choices for the die to choose from.

Can look something like this:

1. Quit my job today. Call the boss and say "Boss, I quit the job today. Take care".
2. Start a corporation. Invest your savings and take it from there. Just do it. No second thoughts, just take it out of the savings account and start the damn thing. Think afterwards and get going.
3. Go to sleep now and sleep on it. It doesn't matter if it's daytime and you need to do other stuff, just go to bed and sleep. Wake up when you wake up, no alarm clock.
4. Just spend a day promoting yourself in the local supermarket. If the manager tell you to leave, stay put and only leave if the police comes for you. Write a big sign with a big face on it: yours. A big smiling face and a text benief it saying "I can help you out, just tell me what you want and pay me and I will help you".
5. Sell every asset you have and invest everything in your most hidden dream. Bask in your dreams, no matter the outcome of it. Money can always be made back, lost dreams can't.
6. Just do what the hell you want.The die is out of order today.

Just an idea for you to consider. Why do this:)? It is a way of breaking patterns and doing utterly crazy things to expand as a person. This may sound like a silly concept, surely, but you will be surprised how addictive it is. Believe it or not, it does change your brain and how you percieve life and risks. The more risks you take in life the less scared you will become, because the things you do the most are things you soon take for granted. They become "normal".

You only reach new levels by first doing a crazy thing and then make that level you reach the new "normal". As you know, it is all about perception of reality.

Above else, make it a game. Don't take new stuff to serious, just experiment and have fun. Having fun is important. Don't put choices on that list that you would not in a lifetime do if it was chosen. For example don't put "I will cut of my leg if it becomes a 6", because I am certain you wouldn't do it and it wouldn't be beneficial for your development either. Be risk taking, experiment but under responsible forms. OK:)?

CardinalsFan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 6, 2008
Charlotte
One way many of you, who are scared of doing stuff out of your comfort zone, can do is this (Just a suggestion). Find yourself a die. Find yourself a paper and a pencil and write 6 choices for the die to choose from.

Can look something like this:

1. Quit my job today. Call the boss and say "Boss, I quit the job today. Take care".
2. Start a corporation. Invest your savings and take it from there. Just do it. No second thoughts, just take it out of the savings account and start the damn thing. Think afterwards and get going.
3. Go to sleep now and sleep on it. It doesn't matter if it's daytime and you need to do other stuff, just go to bed and sleep. Wake up when you wake up, no alarm clock.
4. Just spend a day promoting yourself in the local supermarket. If the manager tell you to leave, stay put and only leave if the police comes for you. Write a big sign with a big face on it: yours. A big smiling face and a text benief it saying "I can help you out, just tell me what you want and pay me and I will help you".
5. Sell every asset you have and invest everything in your most hidden dream. Bask in your dreams, no matter the outcome of it. Money can always be made back, lost dreams can't.
6. Just do what the hell you want.The die is out of order today.

Just an idea for you to consider. Why do this:)? It is a way of breaking patterns and doing utterly crazy things to expand as a person. This may sound like a silly concept, surely, but you will be surprised how addictive it is. Believe it or not, it does change your brain and how you percieve life and risks. The more risks you take in life the less scared you will become, because the things you do the most are things you soon take for granted. They become "normal".

You only reach new levels by first doing a crazy thing and then make that level you reach the new "normal". As you know, it is all about perception of reality.

Above else, make it a game. Don't take new stuff to serious, just experiment and have fun. Having fun is important. Don't put choices on that list that you would not in a lifetime do if it was chosen. For example don't put "I will cut of my leg if it becomes a 6", because I am certain you wouldn't do it and it wouldn't be beneficial for your development either. Be risk taking, experiment but under responsible forms. OK:)?

this is awesome rep+

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Oooo a great thread that almost passed me by, Speed++ for all.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Hell yes!

Haven't read the whole thread, but you couldn't be more on point.... I got out of a few comfort zones and have now positioned myself to kill it.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
I don't know about you, but there is something special and addictive with feeling cold sweat and when you feel like you are about to puke because of high anxiety. That is the thing to strive for:). You also get used with this kind of living after a while. It becomes "normal".

I felt high anxiety today actually. Most of my days are filled with these anxiety attacks because I often leap way before I think. Bad or not bad, I have thrived on it so I guess it is very good....for me:). I need someone to worry for me though, that would free up more time for me to be even more "jump at it"-ich. A virtual assistant perhaps. Tim Ferriss did write about a journalist who actually did delegate the worrying part of his life:). Everything goes, yes?

I like to think of Howard Hughes, especially the one Leonardo Di Caprio played in the The Aviator movie:). Howard Hughes was portraited as this guy who just leaped before he thought too much. His associates had to do the clean up, but anyhow:). See that movie if you haven't yet done so. You can learn a ton from certain movies even if they are in most cases made up with fiction.

I remember one scene from the The Aviator movie where Howard is looking on a new plane model and says something like "XXX company can't buy this, it hasn't got the money for it. Sooo, I guess I have to pay for it myself. Call up Noah Dietrich":). Then the next day, or whatever day it was, Noah calls up Howard and really gives him hell for buying airplanes he couldn't afford:). Leap before thinking...hehe. "You solve it", was his answer to what should been done about those "goddamn planes"....hehe. I like such people, they just jump at it and then let the chicken littles worry about the problems. In many cases the chicken littles exist to worry for us entrepreneurs, why worry ourselfs when it is clearly unhealthy for you:)? Some people seem to like to worry too, so why take that away from them? That would be cruel don't you think:)?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I don't know about you, but there is something special and addictive with feeling cold sweat and when you feel like you are about to puke because of high anxiety. That is the thing to strive for:). You also get used with this kind of living after a while. It becomes "normal".

I felt high anxiety today actually. Most of my days are filled with these anxiety attacks because I often leap way before I think. Bad or not bad, I have thrived on it so I guess it is very good....for me:). I need someone to worry for me though, that would free up more time for me to be even more "jump at it"-ich. A virtual assistant perhaps. Tim Ferriss did write about a journalist who actually did delegate the worrying part of his life:). Everything goes, yes?

This is funny as shit! lol

As someone who has suffered from chronic anxiety in the past, it's funny to hear the polar opposites sometimes.

Colbehh

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 7, 2008
I suffer with anxiety over this every day, but I am making progress!

For those that have read the book might remember this quote, but I try to say it out loud everyday to help keep myself focused on my goals and that quote is..

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WEREN'T AFRAID?"

Every time I come to a crossroad where I become nervous I keep repeating that in my head, and it helps to give me strength to make decisions that I most likely would not have done. You have to keep focusing on how things could be if you would just take small steps to change and let the hope give you courage to move. Because let's face it for you guys that already hate/dislike so many things about your life, ask yourself, "How much worse could it really be to change?"

savvacon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Feb 12, 2009
North of Toronto
Excellent post, for me public speaking was something I would try to avoid at all costs because I just did not feel comfortable at all doing it. Until a boss of mine said "Hey, you're speaking in front on the whole company next week... nothing big just give them an overview of the project" I don't think I slept for days; talk about leaving my comfort zone. But the day came, I did it and since then I had to do dozens of similar speaking presentations and I don't worry about them anymore. If anything I feel like I'm in the "zone" in front of people now and I have had lots of opportunities arise because I do so well in front of a crowd.

God

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 7, 2009
I think I first heard this idea about the "comfort zone" at Eban Pagan

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think I first heard this idea about the "comfort zone" at Eban Pagan

And let me guess, he hired you to post pimp his stuff on various forums? That shit don't work here.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

I like to think of Howard Hughes, especially the one Leonardo Di Caprio played in the The Aviator movie:). Howard Hughes was portraited as this guy who just leaped before he thought too much. His associates had to do the clean up, but anyhow:). See that movie if you haven't yet done so. You can learn a ton from certain movies even if they are in most cases made up with fiction.

I remember one scene from the The Aviator movie where Howard is looking on a new plane model and says something like "XXX company can't buy this, it hasn't got the money for it. Sooo, I guess I have to pay for it myself. Call up Noah Dietrich":). Then the next day, or whatever day it was, Noah calls up Howard and really gives him hell for buying airplanes he couldn't afford:). Leap before thinking...hehe. "You solve it", was his answer to what should been done about those "goddamn planes"....hehe. I like such people, they just jump at it and then let the chicken littles worry about the problems. In many cases the chicken littles exist to worry for us entrepreneurs, why worry ourselfs when it is clearly unhealthy for you:)? Some people seem to like to worry too, so why take that away from them? That would be cruel don't you think:)?

lol, it wasn't until this post that I realized that there is some sort of font or symbol that is translating into smily faces. For the past couple of weeks I just thought you were in a REALLY good mood. lol--still lol'ing over here.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
lol, it wasn't until this post that I realized that there is some sort of font or symbol that is translating into smily faces. For the past couple of weeks I just thought you were in a REALLY good mood. lol--still lol'ing over here.

ROFLMAO!!! I thot the exact same thing!!!

:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

jportz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 27, 2008
Australia
From Felix Dennis' "How to get rich":

The bottom line is: if I could do it, you can too.

I am convinced that fear of failing in the eyes of the world is the single biggest impediment to amassing wealth.

If you shy away for any reason whatever, then the way is blocked, the gate is shut - and will remain shut.

Be willing to fail in public and you have jumped the hurdle holding most people back from getting rich.

I85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 22, 2008
Iowa
You guessed wrong. Better luck next time.
Considering your comment added absolutely nothing to the thread, but free advertising...I would have "guessed" the same thing.

You're next comment was just as useless, and those comments probably won't get you to far here. Just my opinion.

Great thread DKT, right now I am deciding wether or not I should move across the country...which I think I would really like. However, I don't know a single person where I want to move :(. You can always meet new people though :). Money is also another factor, but the one that worries me the least.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
From Felix Dennis' "How to get rich":

The bottom line is: if I could do it, you can too.

I am convinced that fear of failing in the eyes of the world is the single biggest impediment to amassing wealth.

If you shy away for any reason whatever, then the way is blocked, the gate is shut - and will remain shut.

Be willing to fail in public and you have jumped the hurdle holding most people back from getting rich.

One reason why so few people accumulate any real wealth is because they dislike being outsiders. It's a very horrible subject for anyone. But it is very important to think for oneself and not fall into the mood of pleasing people for the sake of it. Convention is not always right. Just look around, the people who have accumulated the most success is the people who dared to go their own way in the first place. Of course they needed people to succeed, but the key factor is that they did it while walking their own unique path. They did it their way so to speak.

I guess they did it on a very bumpy road:). I sure as hell can tell you my road has not been perfect at all. It seems that the more different you are the more hell you get for it. But it also creates so much more wealth opportunities so I guess it benefits oneself in the end. See it as the price to pay.

jportz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 27, 2008
Australia
One reason why so few people accumulate any real wealth is because they dislike being outsiders. It's a very horrible subject for anyone. But it is very important to think for oneself and not fall into the mood of pleasing people for the sake of it. Convention is not always right. Just look around, the people who have accumulated the most success is the people who dared to go their own way in the first place. Of course they needed people to succeed, but the key factor is that they did it while walking their own unique path. They did it their way so to speak.

I guess they did it on a very bumpy road:). I sure as hell can tell you my road has not been perfect at all. It seems that the more different you are the more hell you get for it. But it also creates so much more wealth opportunities so I guess it benefits oneself in the end. See it as the price to pay.

Great Explanation! I think this is exactly what Felix Dennis was getting at. When I think about every autobiography I've read about anyone successful, you can tell - usually even in their childhood, that they show are uncanny amount of daring...

The teenage Richard Branson, after getting kicked out of school for fooling around with a girl, created a fake suicide note claiming he was unable to cope with the shame of his expulsion and gave it to someone too nosy not to open it straight away. When they "stopped" him at the local cliffs, the expulsion was overturned. Branson was clearly never afraid to be an outsider in any area of his life!

Barry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 27, 2011
Jamaica
Bump for newbies! Awesome Post

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
We have to take a risk. Being out in your comfort zone, you learned a lot of things outside your world. Learned new experiences and new motivation in life. And that is the key of having a successful life and business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.