The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would You Buy These?

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Hey Everyone,

Hope the mods don't mind me posting this thread.

Wanted to get some outside opinion on our upcoming sunglasses line. Seeing as my thread is in the INSIDERS section.

Frames are made out of TR90 memory plastic. A flexible material that's very durable.

All our lenses are Polarized. 7 layers of protection, 100% UVA/UVB protection, Sctach Resistance, Polycarbonate Core, Polarized, etc.

Our price points aren't final. But it will be somewhere between $80 - 120 USD

Below are some concepts I've created.

If you like you can see my INSIDERS thread here, If you would like to see our progress.> https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/process-project-execution-threads/45203-new-project.html

Not gonna post every color, cause we have a lot of variations.

But here are a few. I'll do a couple posts showing each concept.

Would like to know if anyone would actually BUY a pair of these?

the V.1 - Inspiration from the Audi R8

V1_Black_WhiteAccent.jpg
V1_GlossBlack.jpg
V1_MatteBlack.jpg
V1_WhiteBlack_GrayAccent.jpg

More images are shown in our INSIDERS thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• V1_White_BlackAccent.jpg
    V1_White_BlackAccent.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 295
  • V2_Black_WhiteAccent.jpg
    V2_Black_WhiteAccent.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 284
  • V2_BlackWhite_GrayAccent.jpg
    V2_BlackWhite_GrayAccent.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 287
  • V2_MatteBlack.jpg
    V2_MatteBlack.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 290
  • V2_White_BlackAccent.jpg
    V2_White_BlackAccent.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 282
  • V3_BlackWhite.jpg
    V3_BlackWhite.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited by a moderator:

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
V.2 - Similar to our V.1, inspired by the R8.

V2_BlackWhite_GrayAccent.jpg
V2_GlossBlack.jpg
V2_MatteBlack.jpg
V2_WhiteBlack.jpg

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser394

Hard to tell with only one angle pictures. Any chance of getting more pics/pics with models wearing them?

Depends on your price point too. They aren't bad looking, and I like how they tie in with cars.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Sorry.

Price point is between 80-120$

These are just 3d concepts. We're goin into production soon. But we're trying to gauge what people like.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
I'm not really feeling the connection with the cars. But they do look pretty awesome and I'd buy a pair if they felt high quality in the flesh. They are kinda like a cooler version of the Smiths I wear.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Thanks exige. ;)

appreciate the feedback.

And ya. The car connection is minimal. It's merely inspiration.

Don't wanna totally rip stuff off. Just be inspired by it, design wise.

rorschach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2011
Belgium
Why don't you put this up on kickstarter? When people like it they'll back you up and you'll have money to work with. If they don't you lost nothing.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Why don't you put this up on kickstarter? When people like it they'll back you up and you'll have money to work with. If they don't you lost nothing.

Were launching a Indiegogo campaign soon.

Kickstarter doesn't allow Eyewear products anymore.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
I like the first R8 inspired ones.
I find some of them too...plastic toy looking for the price you are giving (but that's only my opinion).
I thought the first V1 was inspired by the R8 before reading it, for the V2 it is not so obvious and the Lamborghini inspired version is noticeable when you know it (still my point of view).

Hope it helps

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
First of all, I LOVE the concept; eyewear inspired by exotics. I get to wear the car on my face and carry it around with me. LOL

I find that they all look the same. I know they are different but if they are inspired by different cars then why do they look SO similar when the real life cars look so different?

Just remember that someone SAYING they will buy it and someone ACTUALLY opening up their wallets and buying a pair are two completely different things.

If I had $100 to spend on a pair of sunglasses would I buy a pair? Ehhh yes and no. Yes in that I like the concept and the look :D. But no in that I have never heard of this brand and there are a lot of alternatives and that I have to try them on.

Whats your strategy? Do you have a partner. Have you showcased at exotic car meetups? Exotic car forums? Tradeshows? Exotic car dealerships? Do you have an idea of a showcase stand to put into stores?

I see a huge opportunity here if you can partner with a exotic car meetup or a exotic car dealership or anything of the like. People need to see credibility in your brand. I need to associate it with something else that is already of great value.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
First of all, I LOVE the concept; eyewear inspired by exotics. I get to wear the car on my face and carry it around with me. LOL

I find that they all look the same. I know they are different but if they are inspired by different cars then why do they look SO similar when the real life cars look so different?

Just remember that someone SAYING they will buy it and someone ACTUALLY opening up their wallets and buying a pair are two completely different things.

If I had $100 to spend on a pair of sunglasses would I buy a pair? Ehhh yes and no. Yes in that I like the concept and the look :D. But no in that I have never heard of this brand and there are a lot of alternatives and that I have to try them on.

Whats your strategy? Do you have a partner. Have you showcased at exotic car meetups? Exotic car forums? Tradeshows? Exotic car dealerships? Do you have an idea of a showcase stand to put into stores?

I see a huge opportunity here if you can partner with a exotic car meetup or a exotic car dealership or anything of the like. People need to see credibility in your brand. I need to associate it with something else that is already of great value.

All these designs are just concepts for our 1st production run.

Were launching with one style at first. So that's why there similar. trying to find the best style to launch with. Other styles down the road will vary.

BUT. Go to Spy, Dragon, or Oakleys website and look at the SPORT sunglasses, there all the same except for small changes in size and slight changes in shape.

Yes, we have a strategy.

Yes, I have a partner.

No to the other stuff. because we dont have a physical product yet. We have a manufacturer in China, there just awaiting our design.

We have a lot of friends that are exotic/super car owners. So a lot of them are getting free pairs to help us spread the word. when were ready.

Were also gonna be handing out free pairs to other people as well for testing.

thanks for the feedback ;)

cheers

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Please note everyone!

CARS ARE JUST INSPIRATION. THAT IS IT.

THEY ARE NOT MEANT TOO LOOK LIKE CARS, OR TAKE FROM ANY CARS.

they merely inspire my design process.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
bump.

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
I like them man, they look sweet and I like the colors you have so far. As long as the material you're using is good quality and these are well made sunglasses then $80-$120 is a good price point too. Good stuff.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Please note everyone!

CARS ARE JUST INSPIRATION. THAT IS IT.

THEY ARE NOT MEANT TOO LOOK LIKE CARS, OR TAKE FROM ANY CARS.

they merely inspire my design process.

Considering that's the thing I see people mentioning most frequently (although this thread is a small sample), I would take that into consideration before production.

If people like the idea of glasses pulling direct inspiration from exotic cars, and they want that, why not give it to them in a way that doesn't require you to get licensing? Having to explain "they're just inspiration" is basically the same as saying "I'm not making what you're asking me for."

I also thought the idea was for them to be pulled/model directly after different exotic cars. To "wear on your face," as socaldude said, and I was really digging that concept.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Considering that's the thing I see people mentioning most frequently (although this thread is a small sample), I would take that into consideration before production.

If people like the idea of glasses pulling direct inspiration from exotic cars, and they want that, why not give it to them in a way that doesn't require you to get licensing? Having to explain "they're just inspiration" is basically the same as saying "I'm not making what you're asking me for."

I also thought the idea was for them to be pulled/model directly after different exotic cars. To "wear on your face," as socaldude said, and I was really digging that concept.

I understand that.

I just don't want to be locked down to something, design wise.

I want to be able to design as I see fit.

Cars are just my flavor of the month right now. Next month it might be Apple, or an F22 Raptor, or robots, etc.

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Would like to know if anyone would actually BUY a pair of these?

Take my 2 cents w/ a grain of salt. I'm not even close to an entrepreneur nor i have experience in building products. So, that being said i really like your glasse's, but i would only buy them when i try it on myself and see how i look w/ them. But i think the main point is... shouldn't you've done this question BEFORE spend money,time,energy on building a product w/o knowing if people would buy it ? That's why product validation is so important... so you don't ask this question AFTER you build your product.

Despite that, the glasses are good looking for sure, congrats on that :)

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
thanks ;) appreciate the feedback.

We have a lot of people already interested in buying. Just testing this forum too see what people like.

people need sunglasses.

why does Oakley, Spy and Dragon have to dominate the space.

Meatface

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 4, 2013
New Jersey
I like the designs, they are just not my style. I think there are consumer that would be interested in these for sure, but the price point may be a bit high without an established brand or product history in the market.

As for Oakley, Spy and Dragon dominating the space, they have extensive marketing budgets and they are already established in the marketplace. I think you could have a place in the market with your designs, but you will also need to market your product to the right people with the right story. What is your angle, why should someone purchase your product over the multitude of eyewear products out there?

Good luck with this project, I am interested to see where it goes.

sethnejame

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 24, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Vick,

My first thought was, they look like something Batman would wear (in a good way.) I'd wear the hell out of them. They feel very sporty. Do you have any in red??

Deege

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 12, 2008
Very cool, definitely headed for a competitive marketplace. Ever thought of sponsoring some "extreme" youtubers? I think your target market will largely depend on adrenaline junkies. At least thats what i get from the style.

Have them showcased in a video with someone that has a ton of subscribers. There's a thought.

Edit: It would be super cool to have a virtual "try-on" tool on the website.

Edit 2: It would be cool if there were some incentive to make the audience involved in a charity type project. Great for IndieGoGo too. Maybe 10% goes to prescription glasses in a 3rd world country or something.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Why so cheap? Sunglasses like those go for $200 all day. consumers think cheap price means cheap quality

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Hey guys, didn't know people were still replying to this thread.

The images posted above are OLD. the new style can be seen on my website here > iwear8.com

Our new pricing structure is $170

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
My personal feedback, they look nice n sporty. I have some oakley oil rigs that are similar. I need to try on sunglasses before purchasing. I am unlikely to order just to try them on and go through the hassle of returning them. If that objection is handled with super easy prepaid return, I think more people might give it a try. How about going farther up the price scale with carbon fiber glasses? "The strongest, lightest sports glasses" USP. I think its probably a tough job differentiating (esp a new brand) from all the $10-$20 glasses out there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.