The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I don't need a billion dollars

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Excitement EATS money

When you get excited by a cash amount, it slips out of the cracks really fast. You "indulge" yourself because you CAN.

Fast moving cash like this creates pollution, because the more trinkets you have to create to feed your money supply, the more bits and pieces get thrown into landfills (with physical products).

Larger businesses, that FEED an exciteable host, are less likely to survive; due to excessive expenditures on ineffective marketting, unnecessary aquisitions, and bad/lax positioning (we are the best! Enough said! I love to boast and pretend I'm immortal!).

And, fast draining cash, causes a paradox where you need more cash to excite you, but lose it too quickly to reach the goal. This causes you to feel short changed and is unsustainable.

Instead of chasing billions, reduce pollution, feel complete in yourself, be responsible for cash amounts no matter the size, and do not be dependent on indulging.

If billions EXCITE you, they will EAT away at you.

YES be free, be rich, but never forget "its all good".

Billions? Why bother?

Find your own way to riches, and don't take on anyone elses meaning of it but your own.

BECOME in yourself what a billionaire means to YOU if you wish. Or just take the best parts and be the best you that you wanna be.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
What is ironic is I was just thinking. If I had a billion dollars and met a billion people and gave them each $1.00, those billion people still wouldn't be happy or satisfied with life. :) So probably why Billionaires are happy doing what they do, because all the negatives in the world want to stay in their negative ways. The weirdest thing is when they think you're victimizing them because they want to play victim. Weird is understanding you can never go back to the negative thinking. lol I might have a five minutes, maybe a day, but it never goes down to thinking like most people.

For some reason I don't believe you can make a billion dollars if you're a victim and negative. Unless you're doing crime and than you do time and lose it anyway.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Million or Billion doesn't really make a difference to me. :) Wealthy & Wise is nice. :)

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Why I want a billion dollars:
  • Build my dreamhome (a custom built modern castle) = 25 million
  • Build my dream office/studio (yet another castle) = 25 million
  • Research and Development into underwater construction advancements = 100-300 million (hoping to find a way to build an underwater castle resort just cuz that's how I roll)
  • Research and Development into space construction advancements = 100-300 million (castle on the moon bitches)
  • Play with consciousness transference+backup: 4 billion+
Honestly, I'm a very eccentric and weird person. I like weird things, I have weird ambitions, I'm okay with throwing money at my goals and the entire reason I want money is to spend it on my odd quirks and passions. Basically my personality is akin to Tony Stark's obsession with engineering and improving Iron Man body armor and AI.

D

DeletedUser394

What if making a million dollars & making a billions dollars required the same amount of time and effort? Would you prefer the million?

But they don't, so what's the point of the question?

I literally have no idea what OP is talking about.. ever. So I'm strictly referencing your quote.

Most 'wealthy' people reach a threshold where any addition to their net worth/income becomes irrelevant.

There's really no point for anyone here to want to make 'billions', or to even strive towards something like that. With the wealthy people that I connect with (some on the forum, who will remain nameless out of privacy), the general consensus is that lifestyle doesn't change much past a certain amount of assets.. and it's a lot smaller than most realize.

I'm pretty confident in saying that nobody on this forum will be a billionaire. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to win the powerball, while getting mauled by a shark and/or being struck by lightning. But I know we must retain the rah rah 'we can do anything' attitude so prevalent here. Can anyone make a million dollars here? Absolutely, anybody with just a job can even manage that. Will the majority of users get there? Heck no.

Are there people here capable of making 10 million.. 100 million... 250 million? A handful of forum members can. A billion? Not likely.

Now, I certainly have confidence in many of the real entrepreneurs on this forum (yourself included), but some people really fail to grasp the enormity of 1 billion dollars. It sounds cool, but the reality is that it is such an elite club, that it becomes more or less statistically impossible to gain access to. And the 'rewards' are overblown when you realize you can have your perfectly great, satisfaction filled life, and make a real difference in the world.. with much less than that.

'Aim for the moon, land among the stars' or whatever that quote is supposed to be sounds nice, but people blow it out of proportions.

If a person enjoys what it is that's making them money, then by all means they should continue. Most will realize that there comes a time when it just isn't worth it.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
But they don't, so what's the point of the question?

and you can't make a good living without a college degree, right?

There's really no point for anyone here to want to make 'billions', or to even strive towards something like that.

So because it's hard to achieve or unlikely, one shouldn't strive for it?

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” - Henry Ford

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I literally have no idea what OP is talking about.. ever. So I'm strictly referencing your quote.
LMAO. yup.

Regarding the rest of what you said:

It's true.... most people aren't very ambitious. And like it or not: MOST PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM are sidewalkers with big dreams. Maybe I'll be disliked for saying it, but it's true. Reading a book and joining a community is just the first step of many that need to be taken and most don't have the balls to take it any further.

They want things because it sounds nice on paper, they want things because they think it'll solve all their personal problems, they want things because they need something to aspire to.

When it comes down to LIFE (not just business/money) most people are boring and lazy and don't know how to aim for and achieve goals. When left unattended and free, they destroy what they have. When given the opportunity to grab life by the horns they just DO NOT.

When given true opportunity and time and resources, most people act as if they're F*cking teenagers and their parents left the house for the week.
When left in what I call "sandbox" mode, they just F*ck around until they're forced back into hardship.

And then there are the brave knights and warriors, there are people who aren't content sitting around and enjoying the world provided to them by others. There are world shapers and dreamers. The people with the fire will rise to the top and the people who think "wouldn't it be nice" will be left in their dust.

D

DeletedUser394

I never mentioned college. Education is largely irrelevant.

My point is that most people choose the wrong goals, or blow it completely out of proportion.

Oh, a Henry Ford quote... haven't heard that one before.

Speaking for myself, I used to want the exact same 'out of this world, unrealistic goals' preached all the time. A billion, 10 ferraris in every colour.. because why not?

Now, I'm 22, I don't have to work ever again, I can travel whenever I want, I do what I want. I spend half my time training competitive speed skating because I love it. A billion? Every exotic car known to man, and a penthouse in every major city? aka some of my old goals? Forget about it.

I've reached my first 'number', and now I grow it more slowly.

When I was first confronted with this idea (the 'having enough' principle) it was presented to me by one of the wealthiest, most respected members here on the forum. And I didn't believe it, at all.

But I'm certainly convinced now. Living it.

Maybe you'll hit your first number and realize that your old goals sucked. We change over time of course, that's natural. Maybe you'll hit it and want to keep going. More power to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I never mentioned college. Education is largely irrelevant.

My point is that most people choose the wrong goals, or blow it completely out of proportion.

Oh, a Henry Ford quote... haven't heard that one before.

Speaking for myself, I used to want the exact same 'out of this world, unrealistic goals' preached all the time. A billion, 10 ferraris in every colour.. because why not?

Now, I'm 22, I don't have to work ever again, I can travel whenever I want, I do what I want. I spend half my time training competitive speed skating because I love it. A billion? Every exotic car known to man, and a penthouse in every major city? aka some of my old goals? Forget about it.

I've reached my first 'number', and now I grow it more slowly.

When I was first confronted with this idea (the 'having enough' principle) it was presented to me by one of the wealthiest, most respected members here on the forum. And I didn't believe it, at all.

But I'm certainly convinced now. Living it.

Education statement was created with the same mindset, I assume you had, when you decided that making a million and making a billion requires more effort and time. It sounds like you believe it because, it's expected to be true. Reminds me of how the world is flat or how flying is impossible.

I've talked to a famous billionaire who told me its not much of a difference between million & billion, time, effort, and risk rise. I've read from other billionaires that there is a big difference between the three. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, all relative.

Yes, people do choose the wrong goals and it is unlikely that anyone will ever become a billionaire or millionaire. I agree with you, on that. But in my opinion, "because it's unlikely" isn't the reason they don't become a millionaire or billionaire. They don't actually want it enough.

From your post, all I could see is "can't do it", "not likely", "odds are against you", blah blah. I respect your opinion and agree with some things you said, but just not the mindset. I also don't believe your intentions were negative.

Speaking for myself, a billion dollars is on my "why not" list, after achieving what's on my priority list. If I find a good reason not to pursue it, then I wont. If I want it, I'll get it. Unlikely didn't stop the greats, won't stop me, or anyone else on this forum

We've probably heard the same "having enough" principle, from the same member. Agree with that thinking as well. Get enough to be happy, then go be happy.

Congrats on reaching your number though.

My apologies to the OP, didn't intend to derail this thread with mindset talk.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
My apologies to the OP, didn't intend to derail this thread with mindset talk.
This whole thread is mindset talk, and you've done nothing but added value to it. I can see Billy's kickin your a$$ in the right direction.

As per topic, no I don't ever need a billion dollars, like I said before.
However, I do want my name to be remembered centuries from now. Being rich wont do that. It might get me a century or so (ex: Rockefeller, Hilton, Carnegie)

The people most remembered are people of knowledge.

Seneca, Plato, Aristotle, Sun Tzu. These names are thousands of years old.
Or more recent, Descartes, Machiavelli, Da' Vinci. Hundreds of years.

Being rich doesn't instantly mean success.
But it sure friggin helps.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
What if making a million dollars & making a billions dollars required the same amount of time and effort? Would you prefer the million?

That is a real dilemma. But I think if the effort is equal, I'd want the ability, but not the desperation.

The way I see it, going HALF way, is likely to just screw you out of everything.
BUT I do not think a billion dollars is going all the way, because its an easy goal to set (too easy).
So it will act as an illusion, and screw you up.

A billion dollar process and execution is what I want.
Excellence.

And if its a choice between excellence and a billion, I'll choose excellence.

I aim, to not be disappointed with millions, if my plan was for billions and to not be disappointed with billions if I aimed for millions.
An openess to possibility, an acceptance of the results you get, and a reduction of envy and fear.

What causes beliefs to last through hardship? Those quickly spun and infectious, or those taken through rigorous testing and observed to be the best?

We all must start somewhere, but in order for beliefs to last, I think they must adapt somewhat.

I believe billions are not possible for all, due to inflation, so I question its merit as an unquestioned goal.

(hoping to find a way to build an underwater castle resort just cuz that's how I roll)

Lol, I wasn't expecting you to whip out the under the sea card
In that case of course

I'm a big fan of Elon Musk,
He's playing with outer space, so it IS possible to attempt innovations for a brighter future.

I've talked to a famous billionaire who told me its not much of a difference between million & billion, time, effort, and risk rise. I've read from other billionaires that there is a big difference between the three.

It is probably them saying
a) You need flow and to not worry
b) You need to apply effort rigorously

Which enhance each other IME

What is ironic is I was just thinking. If I had a billion dollars and met a billion people and gave them each $1.00, those billion people still wouldn't be happy or satisfied with life.

I was thinking about that the other day, and I came down to the conclusion you need to see the difference between, when it will truly help and when it won't.
And you need to help in a way that is bigger than money.

Wealthy & Wise is nice.

How do we achieve THAT, is a good question. How does a person go from slogging away, to wealthy and wise? Is it money, or is it something ELSE.

What is that something else, and how do we get you there?

See... I think its about getting from a state of desperation, into a sense of capability that makes your actions generate money.

How do we get you to B, is probably worth more than the billions that may follow...

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.