The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who's gonna pay for it? (Why those evil 1% hoarders!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colbehh

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 7, 2008
I'm far from an expert on these matters, but here is my thinking:

1. Government Aid. The college system is able to be propped up even with massive tuition increases because of loans and free aid. If they would stop giving hand outs and allowing students to take out as much as they pleased then they would be forced to adjust tuition as attendance drops. If they're going to give out aid like this then you should be forced to take majors that are actually in need (STEM majors)

2. Stop rehashing the same things. People spend 4 years in college (at least) learning many of the same things they should have learned in high school, and if they didn't well then those need to be remedial classes that are paid for on their own dime. You can easily wipe out 1-1.5yrs of school if you stop forcing students to retake Math, Biology and English classes. (The sidenote to this is that high school education needs to be revamped as well. 12 years of schools seems excessive to me.) That would cut out a years worth of tuition at least.

3. Not everyone is university material. Sorry, that's the way it is. We need uneducated labor. It's not an insult to those who do it. Some don't have the drive or ability to make it thru college but you can still make a living (A great one as an entrepreneur even). Work on apprenticeship programs. Expand trade, business, vocational schools. Allow these schools to take over 'less educationally intensive' white collar jobs like Accounting.

Nobody makes them go to an expensive school. They can go to a community college. However, the current society makes them think that paying more for a school increases their chances of getting a job because a degree from a CC is worth less than a degree from an Ivy league school. I'm not saying that they are exactly the same but is one degree worth 50x the other?

Just like nobody makes you drive a BMW vs a Honda, we can choose to get a Honda and still get around, or we can complain that BMWs are too expensive but still choose to buy them.

The interesting thing about Ivy league schools are that they usually have extensive in-house financial aid programs that for people that can't afford it but make the cut they go for next to nothing. That seems fair to me. Let the schools invest in those great minds.

Whenever I see these movements or whatever. I just hear a lot of, "Me, me, me." with no regard to personal responsibility. I never hear anything about how they're going to give back either. You never see someone say they're going to dedicate their professional lives to making it easier for the others after them. It's all about how to fix their immediate problems right now because they've found themselves in a shit position.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Wow! I read your whole reply to be respectful. But man I have zero time to debate this. I have zero time to watch the news. I retracted my statement. I guess What i should have said was theres probably 1000's of students able to come up with a more logical solution. Call me dense, uneducated, whatever floats your boat. It has no bearing on my values or opinions. Don't waste your own time with a massive write up filled with examples of matrix and assume I will give a rats behind.

Always love the guy who jumps in an argument, then when he has no real points, opinions or counters he resorts to the typical 'i dont have time for this" or "I couldn't give a shit anyway" type stuff.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I'm far from an expert on these matters, but here is my thinking:

1. Government Aid. The college system is able to be propped up even with massive tuition increases because of loans and free aid. If they would stop giving hand outs and allowing students to take out as much as they pleased then they would be forced to adjust tuition as attendance drops. If they're going to give out aid like this then you should be forced to take majors that are actually in need (STEM majors)

2. Stop rehashing the same things. People spend 4 years in college (at least) learning many of the same things they should have learned in high school, and if they didn't well then those need to be remedial classes that are paid for on their own dime. You can easily wipe out 1-1.5yrs of school if you stop forcing students to retake Math, Biology and English classes. (The sidenote to this is that high school education needs to be revamped as well. 12 years of schools seems excessive to me.) That would cut out a years worth of tuition at least.

3. Not everyone is university material. Sorry, that's the way it is. We need uneducated labor. It's not an insult to those who do it. Some don't have the drive or ability to make it thru college but you can still make a living (A great one as an entrepreneur even). Work on apprenticeship programs. Expand trade, business, vocational schools. Allow these schools to take over 'less educationally intensive' white collar jobs like Accounting.

The interesting thing about Ivy league schools are that they usually have extensive in-house financial aid programs that for people that can't afford it but make the cut they go for next to nothing. That seems fair to me. Let the schools invest in those great minds.

Whenever I see these movements or whatever. I just hear a lot of, "Me, me, me." with no regard to personal responsibility. I never hear anything about how they're going to give back either. You never see someone say they're going to dedicate their professional lives to making it easier for the others after them. It's all about how to fix their immediate problems right now because they've found themselves in a shit position.

You hit on something there. Why are we still spending 2 years out of 4 having these kids have general ed classes? Sure seems like a slick way to extend out the timeline of a degree and therefore rake in some more dough. Lets face it 90% of majors have zero real world need for any of the general ed classes. These kids need to be learning skills and trades. Learning how to actually do the job they will be doing in the real world. I mean, theres kids coming out of 4 years of school getting a job and then still not having a clue about what they are doing.

In the end nobody is holding a gun to anybodies head. They have to make their own decisions. Are costs high at major universities? sure. Obviously the market supports that. Doesnt mean they have to go to those places.

There are so many 2 year degrees that would likely produce a better outcome then many of these worthless 4 year degrees people end up going for. Plumbing, electrician, HVAC, welder, mechanic, heavy equipment etc...

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Always love the guy who jumps in an argument, then when he has no real points, opinions or counters he resorts to the typical 'i dont have time for this" or "I couldn't give a shit anyway" type stuff.
Lol this is number one issue i have with social media. I retracted my first comment minutes after I posted it. I realized I was not in the position to discuss the topic. You were beating a dead horse two pages ago. Keep chirping little birdy! I sharpened 3 chainsaws and fixed a worm drive power chord walked my dog. kept my 3 year old busy and managed to knock out 20 pages of a good book since 12:30.So ya! I'm to busy to give a shit. If you ever find yourself in ottawa Let me know. We can have a pointless debate ok? Have a nice day :)

BookWorm88

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 10, 2015
mj-popcorn.gif

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Anyhow, when I viewed this clip I saw two people talking-- the leader of an organization trying to solve a problem and an interviewer who asked some hard questions. You saw Fox News. That's the difference between someone who wants to evaluate a discussion to find the point of views and someone who wants to protect their beliefs from critical scrutiny.

Well, to be honest, I think you kind of asked for an episode of "The Idiots Are Back" when you tiptoed on your own forum's rules by posting this video. Surely you knew what wretched weeds could grow from the seeds you sowed. @Shdreams posts in this thread constitute the reaping. :cool:

Lol this is number one issue i have with social media. I retracted my first comment minutes after I posted it. I realized I was not in the position to discuss the topic. You were beating a dead horse two pages ago. Keep chirping little birdy! I sharpened 3 chainsaws and fixed a worm drive power chord walked my dog. kept my 3 year old busy and managed to knock out 20 pages of a good book since 12:30.So ya! I'm to busy to give a shit. If you ever find yourself in ottawa Let me know. We can have a pointless debate ok? Have a nice day :)

Back with another dose of gimpy grammar and crippled syntax, I see. :spam:

@MJ DeMarco I blame you for this. I blame you for every word typed by shdreams in this thread, even the words "and" and "the."

I blame you for every comma, every period, and every misplaced comma and misplaced period. If stupid sentences were contagious - like somehow reading illogical sentences made me ill - this could've been a dangerous move for you. Someone, like me, could file a lawsuit. I can see the headlines now: "MJ DeMarco Sued By Ubermen$ch" for allowing highly contagious, extremely dumb sentences to be typed on his forum.

Shame on you, MJ. Shame, shame, shame.

If this thread weren't so damn entertaining - and, for @Shdreams, educational! - I'd say [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG] this bitch.

D

Deleted35442

@Cyriex .... You need to get your writings on this topic in the hands of the politicians, media, decision makers !
Your ideas need to be discussed to begin to help solve this problem.
My Daughter will be nearly $80,000 in debt when she graduates. Unbelievable.
Haha. I wish man. You'd think someone in congress has some sense to do address the cost in some way. But universities have long lobbied in Washington, and I assure you, they're not lobbying to make education more affordable to your daughter or the rest of us. I think this article drives this point home. Look at where tuition & fees rise over "all prices" I have a (legal) idea to force regulators to react and get viral attention to this issue. I'll post it soon.

@rc08234 Oh Lawd.
@Tim0thy_D Good for you. You're well ahead of your peers.
@luniac The tuition and fees are too high. Private for-profit institutions are downright predatory. The issue, which many here would agree though is many aren't cut out to be entrepeneurs. Some people are born followers and want the security and comfort zone of a job. In terms of "Free education" let's not forget that we essentially get "free education" through K12. There are technical high schools out there already. I propose an optional 12th year of high school where students can take relevant classes to a two year degree program and get the second year free. There are loads of relevant two year programs that are in demand, especially in healthcare. This is doable.
@SirTristram There is nothing intelligent about simply demanding the 1% pay for overpriced education. She's simultaneously demanding all debt be erased and that public college education be free. She goes to Northeastern, a private college. Does everyone continue to graduate and the debt keeps getting erased? The COST is the issue here.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
I think you're missing the point a bit.

We have all seen the brutal interviewing tactics by those in the mainstream media, irrespective of the channel. TV personalities have mastered the art of the interview, and can make a public experience an absolute nightmare for the unprepared.

However, Cavuto does not loud talk this girl. I didn't catch him even interrupt her once (he certainly didn't interrupt her more than she interrupted him).

The stupidity of the movement speaks for itself. The simple fact of logic is that capitalism produces fruit, and attempts to defile the system of capitalism with excessive levels of government intervention are unrealistic and unsustainable. They produce only demise if implemented.

The scary part is that this generation does not know that. This girl is not the problem. The culture is the problem. This one individual is merely a singularity, enmeshed in a mass of mumbling millennial morons. It's as if when they speak, you can literally hear Winston Churchill's immortal quote: "The best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter." Well, in this case, nine minutes.

@jon.a

Don't you love it when people say "government should pay" for this or that, as if "government" itself has any money.

Saying that the "government" should pay for something is a euphemism for saying that the productive members of society should be further financially burdened by some wisher's whimsical wanting.

Sure, there are smarter people. They are our college-educated leaders in public office, the ones spending trillions upon trillions every year - each year more than the preceding year - digging the debt hole ever deeper and ever wider.

The problem is that stupid ideas don't magically become smart ideas, just because a smart person thinks it. In the mind of a dummy or a genius, a dumb idea is a dumb idea.

Most of it, at least in the United States, boils down to ignorance of the facts:

Most billionaires are self-made, not heirs

There are More Self-Made Billionaires on the Forbes List than Ever Before

The girl made a claim that the top 1% owns 99% of the wealth. I find those numbers highly suspect.

In any case, that claim is irrelevant, and only shows her inability to link empirical data to logical arguments and conclusions.

In the United States, they can't tax wealth. LOL. Not until you die, anyway. They can only tax income.

The facts about income taxes:

The Richest 1% of Americans Pay 24% of Federal Taxes

The Top 1 Percent Pays More in Taxes than the Bottom 90%

The Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 68 Percent of Federal Income Taxes

The Top 20% of Earners Pay 84% of Income Tax

Translation: The productive members of society give to society when they fill needs in the marketplace, and when they are taxed. In the USA, they are already taxed extremely and excessively. No surprise that people are starting to leave in record numbers, as Cavuto mentions.
I thought it was so funny when the interviewer asked her if her friends wanted to be successful and would be willing, no no happy to pay 90% taxes on their 250,000 a year income. and just blankly just says "Yes" like a robot.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
We can have a pointless debate ok? Have a nice day :)

Just a conversation about the decline of Western civilization. You're right. No big deal.

I thought it was so funny when the interviewer asked her if her friends wanted to be successful and would be willing, no no happy to pay 90% taxes on their 250,000 a year income. and just blankly just says "Yes" like a robot.

Yes, and the scary part is that Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed a tax rate of 100%, for the top tax bracket. This was back in the middle of the 20th Century.

Things settled back to normalcy, but we've already seen where this can go. At least, my grandparents did. I only know because I find such things interesting... and if you can learn to spot and study patterns and systems in The Matrix, you can eventually learn how to manipulate said patterns and systems in your favor.

Anyway, the whole tax the rich - more specifically, the high income earners - idea is not not new. Most dumb ideas are much older than the people who buy into them, at least partially because such people do not learn from - or even study - history.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I really hate to caller her "stupid" or "dumb".

I think confused and frustrated is more appropriate.

But its just more evidence of my generation's huge entitlement mentality.

Now that they realize that they have been lied to their whole life, instead of taking responsibility, the only other option is to blame the external.

I think she is someone who has been coddled at home and in an education system that promises success to those who mindlessly adhere to their ideas.

The truth is that the solution to this problem is more personal responsibility, it sounds cliche, but its good for you, and its the best thing you can do for yourself, because it puts the power back into your hands instead of waiting for someone or something else to come to the rescue.

Admit it, you may be smart, but you fell for the lie that college is a path to success, you now realize that those cushy 50k a year jobs are nowhere to be found. The solution is not who to blame or punish but what are YOU gonna do about it to fix it. Take responsibility. Do something about it. This is the best solution and option. Its whats best for you. Use that effort to do something about it, not protest about how life is not fair and others are holding you back.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I really hate to caller her "stupid" or "dumb".

I think confused and frustrated is more appropriate.

But its just more evidence of my generation's huge entitlement mentality.

Now that they realize that they have been lied to their whole life, instead of taking responsibility, the only other option is to blame the external.

I think she is someone who has been coddled at home and in an education system that promises success to those who mindlessly adhere to their ideas.

The truth is that the solution to this problem is more personal responsibility, it sounds cliche, but its good for you, and its the best thing you can do for yourself, because it puts the power back into your hands instead of waiting for someone or something else to come to the rescue.

Admit it, you may be smart, but you fell for the lie that college is a path to success, you now realize that those cushy 50k a year jobs are nowhere to be found. The solution is not who to blame or punish but what are YOU gonna do about it to fix it. Take responsibility. Do something about it. This is the best solution and option. Its whats best for you. Use that effort to do something about it, not protest about how life is not fair and others are holding you back.

Maybe they don't know the solution. Reading your post made me realize it's almost like the matrix. We are the ones that know the truth and got out of it/fighting to get out of it, the others don't know, so they don't know that they don't know if that makes sense lol. If it wasn't for rich dad poor dad and TMF I might still be in "matrix" going to college looking for a job and benefits.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Reminds of a video @MJ DeMarco posted a few years ago that basically explained tax rates of sidewalkers/slowlaners/fastlaners with the analogy of 3 neighbors. I wish I remember what it was called.

EDIT- Found it.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Reminds of a video @MJ DeMarco posted a few years ago that basically explained tax rates of sidewalkers/slowlaners/fastlaners with the analogy of 3 neighbors. I wish I remember what it was called.

EDIT- Found it.
Gonna post this and see what my FB friends say....

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
G

Guest34764

This. I'm a senior in HS right now and you just described it perfectly.

The agenda right now is "apply to as many colleges as possible and hope you can get into the best one."

When the counselors sit you down for the "college" talk, this is what it discussed:
  • What college are you wanting to attend?
  • What degree do you want?
What is not discussed:
  • How will you pay for tuition?
  • Does your profession REQUIRE a degree? I'm positive the counselors would recommend some kind of study if I told them I wanted to be a F*cking janitor.
  • What's the best way to serve the market (find jobs) with your degree?
Nope. It's hush hush, pick a college and go with the F*cking flow.

What's that? You don't think you need to go to college? BLASPHEMY. Here, take this brochure.

Can confirm.I'm a sophomore and they do this whole college planning and stuff once every semester.I had a paper for homework and I wish I still had it, but it was a college planning sheet.We had to fill in blanks and one of the blanks was for salary.Get this, the highest salary LISTED ON THE PAPER WAS 75K.75k a year is not what I want.The paper was also made by a University.It was complete side-walker questions thru out the whole 2 pages.Honestly, I found it laughable but others in my class were raving on about all the choices and education they'll be getting for the sweet-sweet 75k a year.If a kid couldn't identify that they were being pushed into college then I can't feel sorry for them.You go to college on a good choice.You don't go to college getting herded like the rest.

AKA How to kill a kids dream of 1,000,000

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
View attachment 11066

I did find a picture on my phone.This is the front page, but there was college stuff on the 2nd page.I'm not saying that I hate college, but the way they're herding students into it is pretty shitty.Also,jealous of my soon to be 5 million bucks ;)
Notice that it says "own a used car OR paying on a new car"?

G

Guest34764

Notice that it says "own a used car OR paying on a new car"?

This hurts my soul,but do you know what'll make me feel better?That totally rad one week vacation that I've been waiting years for!Hell yeah, anyone up for some crushed spirits and some shots?

D

Deleted35442

View attachment 11066

I did find a picture on my phone.This is the front page, but there was college stuff on the 2nd page.I'm not saying that I hate college, but the way they're herding students into it is pretty shitty.Also,jealous of my soon to be 5 million bucks ;)
Lmao. This is F*cking class man. But got to keep the flock in line, nom sayin? Bet this raised an eyebrow or two in your administration.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
This hurts my soul,but do you know what'll make me feel better?That totally rad one week vacation that I've been waiting years for!Hell yeah, anyone up for some crushed spirits and some shots?
Trust me man. It isn't easy being apart from the group. But you'll graduate soon enough and then you'll never talk to these people again.

BlakeRVA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Aug 24, 2015
I actually do think the government perhaps should pay for higher education, BUT maintain strict grade based criteria, unlike the travesty that is welfare.... yes... thats socialist.. whatever.

The government and private individuals already DO pay for many higher performing students college. It's called a scholarship. You want someone else to pay for college? You need to be better than the 99 other kids applying for the same scholarship.

Keep in mind, I am saying this as a 21 year-old who is a Senior in college preparing to graduate 20k in debt. I believe that we should eradicate government backed private student loans because tuition inflation is absurd because of this. Nonetheless, there is no point in complaining at this point because I can't change the fact that I am in debt. However, we (the burdened college loan re-payers who post on this forum) should think through an entrepreneurial lens and say "how can we turn this problem into an opportunity?" Thanks to entitlement syndrome - education as we know it is going to change. Unfortunately, unless this girl changes her attitude she will not be a part of the group that reaps the reward. She is approaching the issue under the framework of "Here is a problem, HEY YOU, fix this!" instead of "What can I do to solve this problem?"

Whoever solves this issue can potentially be very, very wealthy. Remember: Wealth = Scale x Magnitude

Do high tuition rates effect a lot of people? Yes, millions (scale)
Do people feel burdened by the debt they incur? Yes, very much so (magnitude)

Sounds like a recipe for success. Are you going to be the benefactor of this or a bystander watching others succeed? Your choice.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You want someone else to pay for college? You need to be better than the 99 other kids applying for the same scholarship.
And that would make them...

...the 1%.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I think you're missing the point a bit.

We have all seen the brutal interviewing tactics by those in the mainstream media, irrespective of the channel. TV personalities have mastered the art of the interview, and can make a public experience an absolute nightmare for the unprepared.

However, Cavuto does not loud talk this girl. I didn't catch him even interrupt her once (he certainly didn't interrupt her more than she interrupted him).

The stupidity of the movement speaks for itself. The simple fact of logic is that capitalism produces fruit, and attempts to defile the system of capitalism with excessive levels of government intervention are unrealistic and unsustainable. They produce only demise if implemented.

The scary part is that this generation does not know that. This girl is not the problem. The culture is the problem. This one individual is merely a singularity, enmeshed in a mass of mumbling millennial morons. It's as if when they speak, you can literally hear Winston Churchill's immortal quote: "The best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter." Well, in this case, nine minutes.

@jon.a

Don't you love it when people say "government should pay" for this or that, as if "government" itself has any money.

Saying that the "government" should pay for something is a euphemism for saying that the productive members of society should be further financially burdened by some wisher's whimsical wanting.

Sure, there are smarter people. They are our college-educated leaders in public office, the ones spending trillions upon trillions every year - each year more than the preceding year - digging the debt hole ever deeper and ever wider.

The problem is that stupid ideas don't magically become smart ideas, just because a smart person thinks it. In the mind of a dummy or a genius, a dumb idea is a dumb idea.

Most of it, at least in the United States, boils down to ignorance of the facts:

Most billionaires are self-made, not heirs

There are More Self-Made Billionaires on the Forbes List than Ever Before

The girl made a claim that the top 1% owns 99% of the wealth. I find those numbers highly suspect.

In any case, that claim is irrelevant, and only shows her inability to link empirical data to logical arguments and conclusions.

In the United States, they can't tax wealth. LOL. Not until you die, anyway. They can only tax income.

The facts about income taxes:

The Richest 1% of Americans Pay 24% of Federal Taxes

The Top 1 Percent Pays More in Taxes than the Bottom 90%

The Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 68 Percent of Federal Income Taxes

The Top 20% of Earners Pay 84% of Income Tax

Translation: The productive members of society give to society when they fill needs in the marketplace, and when they are taxed. In the USA, they are already taxed extremely and excessively. No surprise that people are starting to leave in record numbers, as Cavuto mentions.

Admittedly im not well versed in the complexity of how taxes work.

I do think though that "No taxation without representation" is no longer in effect.
Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but elections are a sham.

Then you got things like this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/leesheppard/2013/05/28/how-does-apple-avoid-taxes/

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The government and private individuals already DO pay for many higher performing students college. It's called a scholarship. You want someone else to pay for college? You need to be better than the 99 other kids applying for the same scholarship.

Keep in mind, I am saying this as a 21 year-old who is a Senior in college preparing to graduate 20k in debt. I believe that we should eradicate government backed private student loans because tuition inflation is absurd because of this. Nonetheless, there is no point in complaining at this point because I can't change the fact that I am in debt. However, we (the burdened college loan re-payers who post on this forum) should think through an entrepreneurial lens and say "how can we turn this problem into an opportunity?" Thanks to entitlement syndrome - education as we know it is going to change. Unfortunately, unless this girl changes her attitude she will not be a part of the group that reaps the reward. She is approaching the issue under the framework of "Here is a problem, HEY YOU, fix this!" instead of "What can I do to solve this problem?"

Whoever solves this issue can potentially be very, very wealthy. Remember: Wealth = Scale x Magnitude

Do high tuition rates effect a lot of people? Yes, millions (scale)
Do people feel burdened by the debt they incur? Yes, very much so (magnitude)

Sounds like a recipe for success. Are you going to be the benefactor of this or a bystander watching others succeed? Your choice.

And that would make them...

...the 1%.

Around 3 years back i had a pretty decent summer only tutoring job. I was an independent contractor for Champion Learning Center in new york and tutored math and english to kids in their homes. I set my own hours, made 15 dollars an hour, at the time i thought that was a pretty sweet job. The tutoring was free for the kids, it was a government funded program.

Well when next summer rolled around the sequester happened, the program lost all funding, and no more tutoring for the kids.
Meanwhile the congressmen who put the sequester into effect maintained their salaries.

I mean i know this is how the world works, but damn it the system got faults.

When the too big to fail banks crashed in '08, bailing them out in the socialist fashion that we did was ok, but maintaining a measly SUMMER ONLY tutoring program is too much for the nation's coffers. GTFO with that bullshit.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Wo

EDIT- Found it.

Wow what a great video, so going to post this on my Facebook! Time to clear out whinners anyways!

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
I really shouldn't post on these threads, but sometimes I can't help but tweak your guys' tails. So consider this. Technology keeps getting better and replacing more jobs, that is, a greater share of the work needed to provide goods and services is done by capital (machines, computers, robots) than traditional labor (humans). How does capitalism work when there's no jobs? If machines are creating all the wealth, should the benefits only accrue to whoever happens to be in control of capital at that moment (or whoever happens to be around at the end of a long process of technological improvement wrought by millions of people over hundreds of years), or can a case be made for things like (the horror!!!) a basic income? If a machine has improved to the point where it replaces the labor done by a human then keeping that human alive basically becomes "free". Are we really living thru a "crisis of lazyness" or is it simply that machines keep raising the bar well beyond the level where humans can compete unless they also control capital?

Last edited:

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Wow what a great video, so going to post this on my Facetlebook! Time to clear out whinners anyways!

Hollow propaganda that can be debunked with little effort. Sorry, but passive income can't be conflated with income you have to work for... unless you're just trying to outright lie and deceive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!