The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where do I sell my inventions?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Hello all, I wanted to see if you guys can give me a different perspective. I have a passion for inventing. A golf product and sold a maybe 4 of them on Etsy and 7 of them in person, and getting a lot of great feedback. Now that its done, I am moving onto my next project. Heres my issue.

I want to sell my inventions myself. Don't get me wrong, if I got a connect with a big chain or someone's storefront, I'd take it. I have that single product in the golf niche, but I'm not interested in trying to sell other things in that golf niche or starting a brand. The next project I am working on is for the Automotive detailing niche. Should I make websites for each new invention and promote? Should I just stick with etsy? Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I have no idea about how golf is played- not there yet:rofl:

Did you make it from scratch? It means you have the manufacturing process sorted out then.

A quick search for “golf gift for men” results in the attached photo, which seems quite similar.

Attachments

• 14FAAF67-2DC9-4B88-AB58-E172BE6088E0.png
    14FAAF67-2DC9-4B88-AB58-E172BE6088E0.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
I have no idea about how golf is played- not there yet:rofl:

Did you make it from scratch? It means you have the manufacturing process sorted out then.

A quick search for “golf gift for men” results in the attached photo, which seems quite similar.
Yes, made from scratch, and its not the same at all. I'm looking for advise on where I should sell individual products, other than eBay

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Yes, made from scratch, and its not the same at all. I'm looking for advise on where I should sell individual products, other than eBay
platforms that have a search function such as Etsy are great for starters. You need good SEO and of course, people interested in buying what you have to offer.

the alternative is building your own website and bringing the traffic yourself via ads.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You should give Amazon a try. But it is up to you to let the world know about your invention. Don't think that if a big box store buy's your product that you magically get sales.

Zealander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 20, 2020
European union
Why exactly do you want to sell the items yourself? If you are somebody who is good at inventing you should stick to that and let the people that are good with manufacturing and distribution take care of that part.

In your case I would try to get royalty deals with manufacturers/distributors and move on to inventing some other cool stuff.

2dads

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 27, 2021
BRISBANE, Australia
"4 of them on Etsy and 7 of them in person, and getting a lot of great feedback. Now that its done, I am moving onto my next project"

Why leave your first project in the Golf invention? If you have feedback and can make changes and you have sales why not continue?

"I want to sell my inventions myself. Don't get me wrong, if I got a connect with a big chain or someone's storefront, I'd take it "

I know a bloke who makes stainless steel water bowls/stations for dogs. He sells directly and refuses to sell into PETBARN/DOG STORES due to control of the price and customer experience. Some times having a spot in a huge store can be a blessing or a curse. Build a strong brand & email list and have full control (CONTROL IS KEY - OWN THE COW / DO NOT RENT THE COW)

Channel selection, where does your customers live, hang out and operate. No point trying to sell on Etsy if your product is "Control Spring for GEA IQ Cow Milker Claw" which is used in the dairy industry. This would be better suited for forums in your country or the world in the dairy industry like: www.cattleforum.com etc or google ad's.

Find your customers, show them your item solving their issue and push towards your sales funnel. That may be a website or to contact you directly (this is a mission in its self - fun part :p )

Best of luck - feel free to send me a message if you want to chat more or have any questions

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
You should give Amazon a try. But it is up to you to let the world know about your invention. Don't think that if a big box store buy's your product that you magically get sales.
I thought about this. Definitely doing the research.
"4 of them on Etsy and 7 of them in person, and getting a lot of great feedback. Now that its done, I am moving onto my next project"

Why leave your first project in the Golf invention? If you have feedback and can make changes and you have sales why not continue?

"I want to sell my inventions myself. Don't get me wrong, if I got a connect with a big chain or someone's storefront, I'd take it "

I know a bloke who makes stainless steel water bowls/stations for dogs. He sells directly and refuses to sell into PETBARN/DOG STORES due to control of the price and customer experience. Some times having a spot in a huge store can be a blessing or a curse. Build a strong brand & email list and have full control (CONTROL IS KEY - OWN THE COW / DO NOT RENT THE COW)

Channel selection, where does your customers live, hang out and operate. No point trying to sell on Etsy if your product is "Control Spring for GEA IQ Cow Milker Claw" which is used in the dairy industry. This would be better suited for forums in your country or the world in the dairy industry like: www.cattleforum.com etc or google ad's.

Find your customers, show them your item solving their issue and push towards your sales funnel. That may be a website or to contact you directly (this is a mission in its self - fun part :p )

Best of luck - feel free to send me a message if you want to chat more or have any questions
My feedback is all good so far. I'm ok with selling to a big brand, because I'd rather invent full time thank deal with the customer experience.

Why exactly do you want to sell the items yourself? If you are somebody who is good at inventing you should stick to that and let the people that are good with manufacturing and distribution take care of that part.

In your case I would try to get royalty deals with manufacturers/distributors and move on to inventing some other cool stuff.
I'd prefer to just invent full time rather than do everything myself, however, I'm not sure where to begin with that. I have tried reaching out to some storefronts about selling my product but no luck.

2dads

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 27, 2021
BRISBANE, Australia
Getting into stores you need to show that your product has a demand, you can do this on a local level - markets, trade events etc. Numbers speak for them selves, a strong ecommerce record of sales and that your product is needed, solves and issue and brings value is ideal.

Without this your just another person who wants to sell a product to an established business with out the process, pretty much going from Start to Finish line in one step, instead of running the race. Getting into a store which is not your own means you lose control and if you own have one channel - that means your F*cked if they pull your "widget" or bring out their own copy at a cheaper price.

I'd prefer to just invent full time rather than do everything myself: to invent is great, however if you just want to tinker and play then do it - but if your inventions don't bring value and bring in sales, then what is the point? Maybe once you hit fastlane - but I think your missing a huge part - building sales

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.