The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"When You're Rich, Remember Me!"

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"I'm a giant loser and will never try to do anything, so when you are rich give me something for nothing"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
he got 16 A*'s (Which is pretty much straight A+'s in high school terms) and completed his A-Levels in 1 year. Everyone, including teachers, used to go on about how he was going to be a millionaire/billionaire

The C students are the ones hiring the "A" students. "A" students have proven they can follow instruction, do as their told, and complete tasks with excellence. Perfect employee material, obedient and effective.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I had this conversation with my brother:

Brother: "Well, if you become a millionaire, pay off my mortgage, will ya?"
Me: "That sounds like a great deal. I do all the work, take all the risk, and you get a house out of it, yeah, that sounds AWESOME"
Brother: "Consider it charity!"
Me: "Or I could give it to cancer research and actually do good in this world"
Brother: "You're a prick".

Mind you it was more lighthearted than it sounds but I go through this conversation in some form with anyone who knows that I have a business going on. One of my friends came into town and gave me the "remember me" bit. My father told me to remember where I came from. Same with my mother. The only ones not asking are those who have their own shit going on and plans of their own for their future.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
When I was in discussions to sell my first company I had a close relative ask me how much money I was giving him... And he was 0% kidding.

I'll give you a big giant check for exactly what you earned.

Then I'd buy him one of those big checks and hire some bikini girl to present it to him with a fat zero on it. Made out to Dickhead.

A

Angus

From The 48 Laws of Power
Law 4 - Always Say Less than Necessary
Law 9 - Win through your Actions, Never through Argument
Law 38 - Think as you like but Behave like others

One of the best things you can do is shut up about everything you do and know;
at the end of the day, if it doesn't benefit your networking, telling people that you're an entrepreneur is just another way of fishing for validation.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I live a very low key lifestyle to avoid conversations with people like that.

I hate hearing the, "Remember me when you're rich" speech. I simply don't want to deal with people wanting money, expecting money, hoping for money. It's annoying.

When you're young, you tend to feel like you have to prove something to the world. The car, the house, the clothes, etc. What many will find further down the road is that the process of striving for success and happiness is often a game of subtraction.

I've seen the scenario played out so many times:
1. Get rich.
2. Get the house, cars and other material things.
3. Realize all that stuff is adding more stress than anything else. Family and friends start expecting handouts. "If you drive a Lambo, but won't give me $100 then you're a jerk."
4. Subtract all the extras and "downgrade" to a simpler life with less stress.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you become a millionaire.... Lol

Million is just a number. The day you wake up with a million dollars in the bank the world won't look any different. There will not be some newfound peace about how you want to pay off lazy family's homes.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
When I was in discussions to sell my first company I had a close relative ask me how much money I was giving him... And he was 0% kidding.

SemiSentient

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Mar 12, 2014
Indiana
When I left my last job, a few of the guys were gathered around talking. I said bye and before I left one of them asked, "Are you going to remember us when you're a millionaire?"

To which I responded, "Are you going to remember me if I go broke?"

He laughed and said "probably not". I walked out the door without saying a word.

G

GuestUser113

Every-time I tell a friend or extended family member about my ventures, this is the general response.

Anyone else get this?

406220_453976457967409_28114574_n.jpg

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I think you guys are taking this way too serious...I think people just mean it playfully. I used to tell my ex "don't forget about us little people when you make it" when she would tell me about becoming a singer. It's really not a big deal.
There tends to be a spark of truth behind most jokes.

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
The C students are the ones hiring the "A" students. "A" students have proven they can follow instruction, do as their told, and complete tasks with excellence. Perfect employee material, obedient and effective.
I was a high school drop out.
Bored.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
This is why I try to avoid telling people about what I'm working on. I'd rather have someone think I have nothing in the works and surprise people later than go around talking about my dreams. Undersell and over-deliver, etc.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I'm done with the whole "little people" story. If you're under belief "you're little", and I somehow need to remember you, BYE.

The only thing little about me is my height. Someone I was very good friends with once said to me "Oh, when you're back up on your feet again (after my business collapsed), you'll probably forget about little ol' me"

Guess what?

I did.

No time for mediocrity.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Damn it is nice to see your screen name popping up here again.

Thanks. Good to be back.

It is nice to talk real estate over at the bigger pockets forum. But, I cannot get on board with the general way of thinking over there. Not fastlane enough...

... and I missed my friends over here. :D

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
There is one guy that used to go to my secondary school who was 2 years older than me and he got 16 A*'s (Which is pretty much straight A+'s in high school terms) and completed his A-Levels in 1 year. Everyone, including teachers, used to go on about how he was going to be a millionaire/billionaire and how he should 'remember us little people' and of course I can't say whether or not he will become wealthy as I don't know his choices but the students in my school concluded that 'they were never going to be rich' as they aren't as smart as the guy. Before he even got those grades hardly anyone spoke to him or even acknowledged him but now when he comes back to my college/sixth form everyone treats him like he's a celebrity(my friend even asked for his autograph lol), it's like they want to get on his good terms for the future. Just goes to show how people believe that you're grades/degree/etc actually determine how rich you can become.

SOUND and SOLID point. This is why people slave away for others ALL their life. Because they think an A = $$$ in the bank.

Good luck. I have an 8 figure friend who never even finished highschool and he's BALLING to the max.

Yeah people always talk about the little people.

My mentor JH Said this to me last night " People live in poverty because they are SO wrapped up in their sufferings that they give out thoughts of only lack and sorrow. They expect want. They open the door of their mind only to hardship and sickness & poverty. True, they hope for something better, but their hopes are so drowned by their fears that they never have a chance"

Enough said.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
"happy birthday man! Remember when your rich to share your wealth with your best buddy!"

The F*ck....:cookoo:

ProweJosh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 10, 2014
There is one guy that used to go to my secondary school who was 2 years older than me and he got 16 A*'s (Which is pretty much straight A+'s in high school terms) and completed his A-Levels in 1 year. Everyone, including teachers, used to go on about how he was going to be a millionaire/billionaire and how he should 'remember us little people' and of course I can't say whether or not he will become wealthy as I don't know his choices but the students in my school concluded that 'they were never going to be rich' as they aren't as smart as the guy. Before he even got those grades hardly anyone spoke to him or even acknowledged him but now when he comes back to my college/sixth form everyone treats him like he's a celebrity(my friend even asked for his autograph lol), it's like they want to get on his good terms for the future. Just goes to show how people believe that you're grades/degree/etc actually determine how rich you can become.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
you might understand it some day…
No, no... I GET IT.

It's so funny that you guys here are all smart enough to build your own businessses, but not smart enough to realize that most of the people that say that are usually just saying it as something nice to say. It's a COMPLIMENT towards you!

I always get the "Don't forget me when you're famous!". No, I laugh about it and think "Wow, this person has really put a lot of faith into me! What a nice thing to say!".

Now I know you'll say "But I have made money and I KNOW That people will come and leach from me!".

Yeah, but in the end it's just a nice to expression that people use when they have nothing else to say.

I imagine the next thread will be "Some a**hole said break a leg right before I went on stage! How dare he!".

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I live a very low key lifestyle to avoid conversations with people like that.

I hate hearing the, "Remember me when you're rich" speech. I simply don't want to deal with people wanting money, expecting money, hoping for money. It's annoying.

When you're young, you tend to feel like you have to prove something to the world. The car, the house, the clothes, etc. What many will find further down the road is that the process of striving for success and happiness is often a game of subtraction.

I've seen the scenario played out so many times:
1. Get rich.
2. Get the house, cars and other material things.
3. Realize all that stuff is adding more stress than anything else. Family and friends start expecting handouts. "If you drive a Lambo, but won't give me $100 then you're a jerk."
4. Subtract all the extras and "downgrade" to a simpler life with less stress.

I'm going to get a nice big house that I don't invite jackasses to.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Nope I don't, but I can say the moment you become rich, they'll probably want to be your best friend. All those people that never supported you on the way up. lol Imagine that!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I sure do. I just can't comprehend somebody accepting the fact that they can never be rich. It's really sad.

You can if you think you can, but unfortunately most people don't think.

I accept it. not everyone is meant to walk the same path. I have had people say that to me, but honestly I didn't even take them seriously. they say the same thing when you buy a lottery ticket. if you win remember me! I don't usually talk about being a "millionaire" I talk in generalizations about business ideas. never actual dollars.

I can picture myself making a post of I finally sold my idea!!! or My product got purchased by a major manufacturer or something to that effect but I would never put out the $ amount. I think its rude. like asking a woman her age or weight LOL

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.