The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When side gig is making more than slowlane job

Anything related to matters of the mind

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
How do you guys stay motivated at work (slow lane job) when side things you do are making more money.

For the past 3 years I've made an extra usually 1500/month with my side hustle ,not really putting it into high drive. At work I usually make around 1000-1200/week.

Now for the kicker this past month I really kicked it into high drive. in the last month I've made some good gains. Invested around 6 grand, made back around 16 grand. so around 10k in profit. Plan on investing again and can probably get this thing to make a good 3-5k/(profit) a week within the next 3 months. And maybe even twice that within the next 8 months, with more infrastructure and space.

Now I've noticed I'm mopping around at my slow lane job, and really blame it on my side hustle. To the point where I barely even want to produce at work. Coming in late, leaving early( slowlane job is sort of commissioned based). I have two small boys and have to keep my slowlane until I save maybe around 200k, but its getting hard .

I have no debt, car is paid off, live in a apartment with my gf with whom I split a $850 rent and utility bills with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have two small boys and have to keep my slowlane until I save maybe around 200k, but its getting hard .

You have to, or you want to?

Your life. Your goals. If you're debt free and kids are your only real obligation it might be time to make the jump.

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
Nice work !

What kind of side hustle is it ?

If this is a real business make the jump! If this is something that can change overnight I understand you want a buffer account as a security.

mags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 18, 2011
Looks like you are ripe for the jump.

There is still a risk. But, if you have a solid plan I'm sure that side hustle is definitely what's good for you in the long run.

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
My Side hustle could deff turn into a real business, just don't have the infrastructure or business license obviously. Lol

Since it's just been a side thing for the past 3 years, always use it just as a supplement to my actual income.

Like for example right now I'm suppose to be at work but I'm still in bed [emoji848][emoji848]

Have another 6k that might come in Saturday , just so hard to be motivated to go to my slow lane, I'm lost all motivation. Guess I've got a taste of what some what decent returns feel like and my job isn't anything compared to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Dec 21, 2015
Germany
Maybe you can reduce your slow lane hours to half time? That way you still have a guaranteed baseline while you have more time to grow your business.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H955 mit Tapatalk

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Stay in your job and decide a quit date. Hand in your notice.

Figure out how you can turn this 'side thing' in to a real thing.

Register the business, make a website...what ever it is do it.

It may be 1 month or 3 from now or it could only take you less than two weeks: its your choice.

It will force you to leave this job you no longer like and kick you in the a$$ to make your side thing work.

This will hopefully end up with you owning a successful business which will support you, make you more money and ultimately result in a happier life.

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
It's funny you said that because I've thought of just getting a part time as just a buffer in case something happened

I still have my half of the rent and obviously kids need things here and there

Kasper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Dec 4, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
I dont quite get it...
You make more money on the side gig, but you do not want to quit your job... It seems to me that you are wasting precious time on your job, and in your bed, that you could spend on growing your cashflow. I would go where the gold nuggets are. Is it because the side gig is somehow limited, that you are lying in bed instead of growing the sidegig? It sounds like your job setup gives you some freedom to grow the side gig!?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Answer really depends on the type of side hustle you are doing and how it can be monetized and automated into something real. Otherwise you just might be trading one job for another.

So is the "hustle" sustainable? Consistent? Growth industry?

One thing about your job is it is sustainable and consistent.

I'm gonna guess you're flipping cars?

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
My job setup deff gives me freedom to grow my side gig to where's it at today.

But now it's gotten to the point where's it hard to go to work and be productive when Ive gotten a good taste of making my money really work for me .

I can make it grow way bigger , and do have plans on doing just that this month. Like I said I need more infrastructure but I might've solved that issue already.

@MJ DeMarco this past month I haven't actually done any real work. I used my money and couple different workers.

Deff automating my whole system. Not really trying to say what I'm doing as to incriminate myself lol. I obviously don't have any kind of business license yet.

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
Only real reason I haven't left my job just yet is I'm still paying 400 a month, my rent and I don't want to get investigated for having money but yet not having an actual w-2 income.

I'm sure there's ways around that, but I guess I'm not there yet. Maybe a part time might be sufficient . I have little under 20 grand saved , but that's nothing where I want to be.

Planned on growing it to 200k before I left my actual career, have been at this job for almost 6 years (since I was 19)

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
400/month(in child support) ****

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.