The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When it comes to content-based businesses...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
how do you build one without violating the commandment of entry? It seems that there isn't a strong barrier to entry inherent in a content system. As MJ made clear in the book, you want at least a moderate barrier to keep "traffic" to a minimum, and thus competition.

However, for content systems, all you seem to have as options are books, ebooks, DVD's, CD's, home study courses, etc., which don't seem to pose to much of a challenge in the way of a good process to bring you to the fastlane. Could this mean that a content-oriented business is becoming obsolete, or are there perhaps other ways to find a fastlane in this business system?

Brandon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
I'm not very sure on this subject since I've thought a lot about it after reading the book as well, but I believe QUALITY content is still very limited online, the ebooks, dvds, seminars, etc online are very low quality regardless of which niche you talk about.

On the otherhand, yes the entry to online content is quite easy since almost anybody can do it, which is why we have all these "gurus" online who teach one thing but apply something else.

It would be nice to hear what other people have to say about this who have more experience in online marketing.

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
If you are producing your own content, there isn't a very big barrier to entry.

However, if you are having other people produce content for you there is a barrier to entry because you have to 1. pay them or 2. create a brilliant platform.

MaximusAurelius

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Jul 19, 2013
Boulder, CO
how do you build one without violating the commandment of entry? It seems that there isn't a strong barrier to entry inherent in a content system. As MJ made clear in the book, you want at least a moderate barrier to keep "traffic" to a minimum, and thus competition.

However, for content systems, all you seem to have as options are books, ebooks, DVD's, CD's, home study courses, etc., which don't seem to pose to much of a challenge in the way of a good process to bring you to the fastlane. Could this mean that a content-oriented business is becoming obsolete, or are there perhaps other ways to find a fastlane in this business system?

Brandon

The barrier to entry comes with knowledge and applied time of yours it takes to create the content. For instance, I've been running a blog for over 8 months and it takes a lot of time to create that content. I grew pretty slowly in the first couple of months, but with some rigorous training on how to write blog posts that share, I've realized how much time and effort it takes to create AMAZING content.

"Okay content" doesn't work -- it has to be phenomenal. It has to be focused, has to appeal emotional, has to solve a problem. It's hard work (to which I discovered early on) which is why the majority of blogs fail. The barrier to entry is hard work + focus + content-creation ability over time. That's certainly a huge barrier to entry. If you're content is revolved around a niche topic where there isn't a lot of knowledge out there, you can become a thought leader quickly, which creates another barrier to entry for others.

Personally, I've made around 2 grand from my site now, although of it wasn't passive and just involved selling to some of my readers a 1-on-1 program to help them eliminate social anxiety. I've realized how hard passive income is, but with the right research and consistent focus, I have no doubt that one program that I'm running (a social confidence course) could grow from $300/month to thousands/month if I keep working at it.

Spend time creating amazing content when most people won't -- if people can't top your content then you win :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
how do you build one without violating the commandment of entry?

The entry criteria is created by virtue of being good, no, excellent at it. Anybody can download Wordpress and launch a blog. But how many will stick by it for years? And create quality content as well during those years? Very few.

Excellence breaks down weak entry.

The same goes for publishing and authoring. Anyone can throw up a book on Amazon... but how many will spend the necessary time to grow an audience and to hone their art? Very few.

These industries are attractive to event (and money) chasers. Those who respect the process ultimately break through.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.