The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what you think about SOPA/PIPA ?

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011

Its this the first real censorship of the internet????

or its just to much alarmism about it?

Everybody in the fastlane should think about this since many of us use the internet as a way to get our product / service to the costumer.

positive comments :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
I think it's fine. Right now the internet is like the wild west. While cool in some ways, I think basic law enforcement measures need to be in place

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I think this is a PR stunt for Obama's reelection, he will veto it in the last moment or something like that...

If it gets through... Well, have a quick look at China to see how those things work out...

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Censorship of the internet would not be a good thing.

Sure, it'd be nice if a set of rules could be made to help protect people\businesses, but it just simply isn't possible. There would be way too many edge cases. Outright blocking of sites is silly.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I think this is a PR stunt for Obama's reelection, he will veto it in the last moment or something like that..

He's already come out against it...

Atom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 8, 2011
I think SOPA is meant as the "DITF" (Door In The Face) to "re-frame" the situation in order to pass slightly less draconian Internet censorship such as PIPA.

Contrast effect/Door-in-the-face technique.

Wikipedia and Reddit are both blacking out tomorrow in protest of SOPA, and Google is reportedly planning a protest of some other kind.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

I equate this to the boiling frog analogy.

How do you cook a frog? You certainly don't throw him in a pot of boiling water. He would just jump out.

You put him in a pot of cool water and warm it up. It gets warmer and feels nice, but eventually he gets cooked.

This is all about government control and power.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I have been reading about this and I think its a terrible idea. I dont want my government censoring anything of mine. I am a grown woman and I dont need another mother. have one already and I dont listen to her either. and as for my children well yeah they have parents too and dont need anymore. I dont need the government to help me raise/censor my children either tyvm.

I came here looking to see if anyone was talking about this and to see if mj was going to shut this website/forum down for the day like how others are planning too.

Personally if I had a website of any kind of traffic I would join in and black out.

SeattleSunnyDay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 6, 2012
Seattle
I equate this to the boiling frog analogy.

How do you cook a frog? You certainly don't throw him in a pot of boiling water. He would just jump out.

You put him in a pot of cool water and warm it up. It gets warmer and feels nice, but eventually he gets cooked.

This is all about government control and power.

Poor frog....didn't even see it coming. I don't like that.

All I have to say is when does more government ever sound like a good idea.....they need to leave well enough alone and stop protecting people from themselves.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
I think SOPA is meant as the "DITF" (Door In The Face) to "re-frame" the situation in order to pass slightly less draconian Internet censorship such as PIPA.

I think Atom nailed, and that maybe this black out its just a excuse to upgrade software/ servers Whatever... to increase the censorship...

The only thing we have right now its the internet and that will be taken for us slowly.

Censorship its not about protecting anyone, right now google can know in real time what people are thinking, read our emails, know who are our friends and all information they want (FB)... and now they just want to shutdown without any excuse any site they want, China style :)

I do hope people dont let this bill pass, or any of that nature that can take freedom from people.

Internet its all about freedom of information and I love freedom.

edit: I just heard that the bill will not pass at least as it was written... :D

Stridone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jan 13, 2012
I think it's fine. Right now the internet is like the wild west. While cool in some ways, I think basic law enforcement measures need to be in place

Maybe you should try reading what SOPA would actually mean for the internet. It's all about big corporations trying to control our life more and more, from what we read, to what we see on tv, and now they're after the only place they haven't been able to control enough yet, the internet. It's not a coincidence that all SOPA-supporters in congress and elsewhere are sponsored by big corporations..

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
As a techie and a follower of these types of legislation plans since 2009, I am completely and utterly against it.

It destroys the entrepreneurial spirit of the internet business because it would require any site with a search function to implement censorship features of face immediate takedown.

Not only this, but it takes away the great freedom of the Internet. The Internet is a place where we can talk about whatever we want with whomever we want, and if this bill passes, we will give the government power to take our 1st amendment rights.

As for piracy, it won't die due to this. Obviously, some senators have no idea how piracy works. Piracy starts with 'the scene', a group of people who obtain copyrighted works direct from the source or extremely close to the source (such as from a DVD manufacturing plant or from a private screening of a movie) and upload these works to highly clandestine servers, usually located a residence. They share them among each other until someone takes a copy and shares it to the world, usually via a private BitTorrent tracker. Then they take it and upload it to a popular P2P site like thepiratebay. What this bill does is essentially grant the government power to remove sites that host foreign and domestic HTTP links. It doesn't stop piracy at all!

This bill is a total flip-flop of what it's 'supposed' to do in the first place, just like most other bills passed since the Patriot Act.

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Maybe you should try reading what SOPA would actually mean for the internet. It's all about big corporations trying to control our life more and more, from what we read, to what we see on tv, and now they're after the only place they haven't been able to control enough yet, the internet. It's not a coincidence that all SOPA-supporters in congress and elsewhere are sponsored by big corporations..

With respect, your post reads like propaganda. It has a common enemy, goes on a tirade about government control, suggests that all the opponents are evil & crooked in some way.

Do you really believe this is a giant conspiracy against the 'little people'?

Why do only big corporations benefit? (What about small ones, proprietors etc)

How does this idea of corporate media-control even apply here? Are you suggesting that Walmart, Nike etc are going to bring down Google and jump into the market?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
With respect, your post reads like propaganda. It has a common enemy, goes on a tirade about government control, suggests that all the opponents are evil & crooked in some way.

Do you really believe this is a giant conspiracy against the 'little people'?

Why do only big corporations benefit? (What about small ones, proprietors etc)

How does this idea of corporate media-control even apply here? Are you suggesting that Walmart, Nike etc are going to bring down Google and jump into the market?

Who said anything of a giant conspiracy? This is a bi-partisan issue; conservatives hate it and liberals hate it. It's the minority that likes this issue, and that minority is the politicians who get paid and the corporations that profit (even though it won't actually help them) from it.

How it decreases freedom: The corporations and the courts are given the power to delete Web sites with links to either domestic or foreign Web sites with copyrighted material on it, whether or not the material complies with fair use. There is no appeals process.

An independent artist who uploads their covers to Youtube could be in danger of having their entire Youtube account deleted since their Youtube will have links to the covers. It actually puts Youtube, the entire website, in danger of being deleted since it has that single cover of that single copyrighted work. That independent artist won't be discovered because of it.

A person who wants to talk about a piece of music and posts the link to it on Youtube on Facebook is in danger of being prosecuted for copyright violation because they have a link to their profile, which has identifying information. It puts Facebook at risk of being deleted because that site contains that link to that Youtube video.

Do you understand it now? This isn't propaganda: they don't cover this on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, or ABC News. Both CNN and News Corp. are in favor of this bill. Viacom is in favor of it. It's about keeping old business models intact while the world is evolving rapidly. They are trying to get around the problem of competing with piracy instead of actually developing an effective business model to give users like myself a more favorable solution. I don't feel bad for downloading music and neither do hundreds of millions of people worldwide. Lots of people MAKE MONEY off of freely distributing their music, why can't the big corporations? The answer: THEY CAN. They just don't want to change.

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Sounds like you see the world as a battle between elites & everyone else. Your last paragraph dictating 'how big corporations should change' is especially hairy (I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone doing the same against your business)

Anyways these arguments never go anywhere so I'll stop here

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
[video=youtube;uvXo4sGB7zM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uvXo4sGB7zM[/video]

Stridone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jan 13, 2012
Sounds like you see the world as a battle between elites & everyone else. Your last paragraph dictating 'how big corporations should change' is especially hairy (I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone doing the same against your business)

Anyways these arguments never go anywhere so I'll stop here

Great counterargument! Surely there is no way our awesome corporate friends would ever abuse this bill, we should just remove our damn tinfoil hats.

No one should ever want this kind of power in the hands of big corporations. It's not about a battle between "elites" & everyone else, it's about giving greedy people without a moral compass too much power, and we've got plenty of those in powerful positions.

cants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 10, 2011
SOPA is BS. It will kill a great fastlane vehicle - the internet.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
SOPA is BS. It will kill a great fastlane vehicle - the internet.

Unfortunately that seems to be the whole point. The internet allows freedom of information and brings down the barriers to doing business.

The govt wants to regain control to keep the ruling class at the top of the food chain.

NJDonny89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 2, 2012
NJ
I found this PR on reddit. Interesting points that they have.

INTERNETS, 18th of January 2012. PRESS RELEASE, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Over a century ago Thomas Edison got the patent for a device which would "do for the eye what the phonograph does for the ear". He called it the Kinetoscope. He was not only amongst the first to record video, he was also the first person to own the copyright to a motion picture. Because of Edisons patents for the motion pictures it was close to financially impossible to create motion pictures in the North american east coast. The movie studios therefor relocated to California, and founded what we today call Hollywood. The reason was mostly because there was no patent. There was also no copyright to speak of, so the studios could copy old stories and make movies out of them - like Fantasia, one of Disneys biggest hits ever. So, the whole basis of this industry, that today is screaming about losing control over immaterial rights, is that they circumvented immaterial rights. They copied (or put in their terminology: "stole") other peoples creative works, without paying for it. They did it in order to make a huge profit. Today, they're all successful and most of the studios are on the Fortune 500 list of the richest companies in the world. Congratulations -it's all based on being able to re-use other peoples creative works. And today they hold the rights to what other people create. If you want to get something released, you have to abide to their rules. The ones they created after circumventing other peoples rules. The reason they are always complainting about "pirates" today is simple. We've done what they did. We circumvented the rules they created and created our own. We crushed their monopoly by giving people something more efficient. We allow people to have direct communication between eachother, circumventing the profitable middle man, that in some cases take over 107% of the profits (yes, you pay to work for them). It's all based on the fact that we're competition. We've proven that their existance in their current form is no longer needed. We're just better than they are. And the funny part is that our rules are very similar to the founding ideas of the USA. We fight for freedom of speech. We see all people as equal. We believe that the public, not the elite, should rule the nation. We believe that laws should be created to serve the public, not the rich corporations. The Pirate Bay is truly an international community. The team is spread all over the globe - but we've stayed out of the USA. We have Swedish roots and a swedish friend said this: The word SOPA means "trash" in Swedish. The word PIPA means "a pipe" in Swedish. This is of course not a coincidence. They want to make the internet inte a one way pipe, with them at the top, shoving trash through the pipe down to the rest of us obedient consumers. The public opinion on this matter is clear. Ask anyone on the street and you'll learn that noone wants to be fed with trash. Why the US government want the american people to be fed with trash is beyond our imagination but we hope that you will stop them, before we all drown. SOPA can't do anything to stop TPB. Worst case we'll change top level domain from our current .org to one of the hundreds of other names that we already also use. In countries where TPB is blocked, China and Saudi Arabia springs to mind, they block hundreds of our domain names. And did it work? Not really. To fix the "problem of piracy" one should go to the source of the problem. The entertainment industry say they're creating "culture" but what they really do is stuff like selling overpriced plushy dolls and making 11 year old girls become anorexic. Either from working in the factories that creates the dolls for basically no salary or by watching movies and tv shows that make them think that they're fat. In the great Sid Meiers computer game Civilization you can build Wonders of the world. One of the most powerful ones is Hollywood. With that you control all culture and media in the world. Rupert Murdoch was happy with MySpace and had no problems with their own piracy until it failed. Now he's complainting that Google is the biggest source of piracy in the world -because he's jealous. He wants to retain his mind control over people and clearly you'd get a more honest view of things on Wikipedia and Google than on Fox News. Some facts (years, dates) are probably wrong in this press release. The reason is that we can't access this information when Wikipedia is blacked out. Because of pressure from our failing competitors. We're sorry for that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I say hell no. What happened to the land of the free? We have more laws and regulations than anyone! Dont encourage them!

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Internet censhorship is happening before our eyes:

MegaUpload Shut Down, Founder Arrested

"MegaUpload, one of the largest file-sharing sites on the Internet, has been shut down by prosecutors in Virginia. The site’s founder Kim Dotcom and three others were arrested by the police in New Zealand at the request of US authorities. MegaVideo, the streaming site belonging to same company, and a total of 18 domains connected to the Mega company were seized and datacenters in three countries raided."

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/

"Today the Internet is witnessing the largest protest in its history, aimed at killing two pending anti-piracy bills. The effort has not been without results. During the past few hours several Senators who co-sponsored SOPA and PIPA have dropped their support. The protests made them realize that the legislation is flawed, and a potential threat to the future of the Internet."

http://torrentfreak.com/pipa-sopa-co-sponsors-drop-like-flies-120118/

when the dirty senators saw that people wouldnt take this they just dropped the suport...

I love how they are still trying to Frame it has against piracy when its just pure censorship, like Reddit Co-Founder Alexis Ohanian said "this is the people vs the big government and lobbys trying to take our freedom"

NJDonny89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 2, 2012
NJ
Not to get political but what do you think of the fact that the RIAA/MPAA are doing this just so that they can increase sales. In fact I have heard a number of studies that show that "Piracy" isn't the ratio of one pirate = 1 lost sale. It is all the MPAA's assumption via this study US government finally admits most piracy estimates are bogus

Now playing devil's advocate in my previous post, for those of you that actually read it lol (yeah it was long) It shows that Edison owned the "Motion Picture", but Hollywood moved out of the Edison's jursidiction(i.e. pirate bay being based in Sweden out of the U.S. jursidiction). Now when does it become bad business to protect your creations? When do you draw the line on lobbyists? Lobbying is pretty much an accepted form of bribing your government to do you bidding. Would you engage in something like this ever?

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Big Government is wanting to get bigger and bigger with more rules and regulations... that's always a bad thing.

Simon Black at SovereignMan.com said it best in his blog post today: Destroying America, bill by bill

[FONT=verdana, geneva]Date: January 19, 2012
[FONT=verdana, geneva]Reporting From: Santiago, Chile

As you're probably aware, yesterday was the much ballyhooed blackout of several popular web sites in protest of new legislation that threatens the Internet as we know it.

The United States Congress has teed up two separate bills which give government agencies sweeping new powers to punish millions of innocent users, criminalize harmless activities, and effectively make entire web sites disappear at their sole discretion without any judicial oversight.

In a nutshell, these bills would create the online equivalent of Nazi Germany.
But what can we really expect from these people? It's not the first time that Congress has gone out of its way to destroy freedom and prosperity, and it certainly won't be the last. Just look at the last decade for a plethora of examples:

USA PATRIOT Act, 2001. The US Constitution officially became toilet paper when this bill of over 60,000 words just happened to be introduced only a few weeks after 9/11. Roving wiretaps, suspension of due process, and a complete loss of privacy became the norm.

Sarbanes-Oxley Act, 2002. In the wake of the Enron scandal, Congress did the only thing it knows how to do-- pass stupid laws with no thought of long-term consequences. SOX, as it became known, was one of the most burdensome pieces of legislation to American business in history.

The disclosure requirements alone added millions of dollars of unnecessary expenses to US businesses and sent foreign companies who were thinking about listing on the formerly prestigious NYSE running for the hills. Places like Hong Kong and Singapore benefitted from such short-sighted regulation, and the US became less competitive. Again.

Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment Act, 2010. The inappropriately named HIRE Act essentially puts a gun to foreign banks' heads and forces them to make a decision: any bank with US clients must either enter into a costly information sharing agreement with the IRS, or be subject to a 30% withholding tax on US-sourced capital flows.

Consequently, a number of foreign banks have begun dropping their US clients. Taken in conjunction with various US Securities rules, many foreign businesses have also begun dropping US citizens as partners, shareholders, and directors. It's simply too onerous to have to deal with all the disclosure filings and risk action by the SEC or IRS.

Net result? US citizens are less capable of competing internationally in a world where the economic power is shifting overseas.

National Defense Authorization Act, 2011. Signed by President Obama on Saturday, December 31st with little fanfare when hardly anyone was looking, NDAA is the latest gem in a long line of liberty-destroying legislation that authorizes indefinite military detention (without trial) of suspected terrorists.

Thing is, NDAA provides a ridiculously broad definition of 'suspected terrorist', essentially giving carte blanche to local, state, and federal police agencies who no longer need to worry about justifying their decisions in front of a judge.

Don't worry, though. President Obama issued a statement acknowledging the controversy of the bill, but clarified that his administration "will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens."

Heartwarming. But hardly a secure guarantee. President Obama isn't exactly batting 1,000 on his promises to the American public, and future presidents certainly won't be obliged by the same pledge.

There are, of course, dozens of other examples. Obamacare. Dodd-Frank 'financial reform'. And now the Stop Online Piracy Act / Personal Information Protection Act.

Hey, these laws like SOPA and PIPA always have great names. Just like wars. Operation 'Enduring Freedom' was the moniker given to the early days of the US War of Terror. It all sounds very noble. The reality is always different.

Throughout history, governments on the brink of insolvency have routinely enacted similar policies. Sliding into economic obscurity, they'll engage in reckless, cannibalistic initiatives-- higher taxes, burdensome regulation, war, destruction of the productive class, etc. It only hastens the end game.

This time is not different. And we can expect more and more of the same. Up next will be new laws that:

- restrict cash transactions over a certain amount (Italy has already passed such measures for amounts exceeding 1,000 euros)

- nationalize pension funds and private retirement accounts (again, has already happened around the world from Ireland to Argentina)

- impose a national sales tax and reduce death tax exemptions (already at the forefront of the ongoing tax debate in the US)

- ban gold and silver personal holdings (if you think this can't happen, ask any of the 250,000 people who used to own Liberty Dollar coins before they were seized by the FBI in 2007...)

And more.

The thing is, every time one of these new bills crops up, there always seems to be a small resistance movement fighting it tooth and nail on the ground. Hence yesterday's SOPA/PIPA blackout. But ultimately, the political establishment wins.

It's impossible to shake the public from its apathy... to steer people from the mind-numbing drivel of prime time airwaves... to rescue them from the PSYOPS campaigns of the 24/7 news channels.

We can only take care of ourselves. Any money or energy spent fighting the government or rousing grassroots support is inherently better spent looking after your own interests and making sure that you and your family aren't victims of historical certainty.

And make no mistake, collapse of empire is a historical certainty. From the Babylonians to the Persians to the Romans to the Mayans to the Mongolians to the Ottomans, no empire is built to last. And the final years are anything but smooth-sailing.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=verdana, geneva]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva]Until tomorrow,[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva]Simon Black
Senior Editor, SovereignMan.com
[FONT=verdana, geneva]
[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=verdana, geneva]
[/FONT]

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
a brilliant viral marketing campaing:

[video=youtube;o0Wvn-9BXVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Wvn-9BXVc[/video]

just 11 millions hits... and of course they tried to shut it down because copyrights... when they have no copyrights on anything of the video... funny how the dirty tricks of "reframing" the bill to anti piracy just make them show their real intentions... with their own actions.

please dont post anything political :)

Im just thankful there´s still some bright starts on the freedom side and I can still express my own opinion :)

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Government - monopoly of force
laws - opinions enforced with a gun

The smallest government will always become the biggest, it's nature's law - freedom under any system including the statist system produces wealth, wealth gets taxed, government grows with the plentiful tax revenue.

Once the government gets a certain size freedom is impaired to a level of rapidly dwindling tax revenues. The government then embarks on printing money without restraint and borrow heavily in order to continue to grow. The host is overwhelmed.

The parasite (due to self preservation) then jumps onto another host or shrinks down in a limited way in order to preserve the host, and the cycle begins again. Jumping onto another host (hosts in a "globalised" world) while letting the current one die is much more common in history.

I approve this message :) :

[video=youtube;Xbp6umQT58A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbp6umQT58A[/video]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!