The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What was your source of inspiration?

Anything related to matters of the mind

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
In so many success stories that I read there is little mention of what inspired the subject to pursue the idea that made them wealthy.

With a couple of stories I have read recently including Bill Bartmann and Bionade both stories mentioned a period where the person was in personal turmoil and decided to find a way out of it.

Mr Bartmann's personal debt led to him founding one of the worlds largest debt recovery office and the founder of Bionade created the drink after his brewery almost went bankrupt.

To the business owners on this board what was the spark that set in motion your business and more importantly how can I put myself in a situation where ideas come to me?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

1mancrew

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 11, 2009
Lake Worth
Mine was a matter of choice, sit back and take the status I am in, or get off my butt and get busy. I started helping people with small things from the office of my JOB and it is progressing into something that is almost a full time thing for me.

Coming up with the idea is the hard part as I have wondered that for years. There is competition in everything you can come up with, but that is ok, competition should just make you sharper and better in what you do. The hard part is learnig to overcome the objective (or no if you are selling something) and turning to your favor for a profit.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Mine was a matter of choice, sit back and take the status I am in, or get off my butt and get busy. I started helping people with small things from the office of my JOB and it is progressing into something that is almost a full time thing for me.

Coming up with the idea is the hard part as I have wondered that for years. There is competition in everything you can come up with, but that is ok, competition should just make you sharper and better in what you do. The hard part is learnig to overcome the objective (or no if you are selling something) and turning to your favor for a profit.

Thanks for your input it seems that you are telling me the idea you are pursuing is not a new or revolutionary idea but you're just trying to do it better.

That idea was covered well in one of the links Runum gave me

Funny timing that this thread just came around again. I was just standing in the kitchen, making lunch, feeling like our idea is too big or won't work. Then two little words popped into my head: "Papa Johns". The hungry side of me would've acted on that impulse and ordered a pizza, but the entrepreneur in me interpreted those words in a totally different way. Think about Papa Johns. They entered an existing market that already has some big players: Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc. They were creating virtually the same product, but decided to add better ingredients and better service to their marketing plan. They are now number 1 in the pizza world. The moral of the story is when you want to quit because someone else is doing what you want to do - don't. Just do it better. Don't sell yourself short and don't overestimate the other guy. Pace yourself, sink your teeth into your idea until you are obsessed with it, and stick with it. Remember, ...papa johns....papa johns....

Thanks for the links

One of the repsonses which I quoted above was useful.

I am quite motivated already when I have something to work towards I have no problem putting in the work required to do so.

I am interested in understanding not what motivates people but the event or circumstances that gave them an idea to pursue.

Why do some entrepreneurs seem to be able to come up with a million dollar idea, or in some cases numerous billion dollar ideas whilst others are left frustrated their whole lives without a good idea to invest their time and money in creating?

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Why do some entrepreneurs seem to be able to come up with a million dollar idea, or in some cases numerous billion dollar ideas whilst others are left frustrated their whole lives without a good idea to invest their time and money in creating?

Many people come up with numerous billion dollar ideas. The difference is, as always, execution. But also one factor we seem to have missed discussing further: Lack of fear or control of fear.

The first step to accomplish impossible deeds is by realising that nothing is really real. We make it up as we go. It sounds crazy and wacked, but read quantum physics and you will soon agree more and more with me:). It is a wonderful subject, even though confusing.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Many people come up with numerous billion dollar ideas. The difference is, as always, execution. But also one factor we seem to have missed discussing further: Lack of fear or control of fear.

The first step to accomplish impossible deeds is by realising that nothing is really real. We make it up as we go. It sounds crazy and wacked, but read quantum physics and you will soon agree more and more with me:). It is a wonderful subject, even though confusing.

With me it is not so much an issue of fearing action.

I simply have no ideas, I am good with solving problems and dealing with people but I have no potential idea at all to pursue.

Thats what I don't understand how some people have numerous million and billion dollar ideas yet others like myself have none, we have no opportunity to demonstrate our execution if we have no idea to execute.

Its hard right now for me, I am at an age where adults would not consider partnering with me irl and people my age have bad priorities (getting drunk every weekend) so I it is not easy to find a creative partner my age.

And real estate is not viable for me, in Australia property is so expensive in terms of the rent for the property that even with the low interest rates we have now there are almost no cashflow positive properties.

Its frustrating for me I am basically unable to move forward and get experience

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
With me it is not so much an issue of fearing action.

I simply have no ideas, I am good with solving problems and dealing with people but I have no potential idea at all to pursue.

Thats what I don't understand how some people have numerous million and billion dollar ideas yet others like myself have none, we have no opportunity to demonstrate our execution if we have no idea to execute.

Its hard right now for me, I am at an age where adults would not consider partnering with me irl and people my age have bad priorities (getting drunk every weekend) so I it is not easy to find a creative partner my age.

And real estate is not viable for me, in Australia property is so expensive in terms of the rent for the property that even with the low interest rates we have now there are almost no cashflow positive properties.

You already mentioned your idea in your post above: problem-solver. Be a highly paid and highly profiled and niched expert in whatever suits you.

Set the price you want for your time and/or expertise and dig in:).

If I wanted to be a startup expert then I would be able to go out there and help people start companies and earn a heck of a lot of money in the process. Though, at the moment, I have no real stardom aspirations and everything that brings with it:). But if I had, I would be rich from that to.

I would have had a website designed with me as the main picture part smiling and looking gorgeous and successful. I would then let people pay via an online payment system. I would ask for crazy amounts and serve, but a few but well selected (due to the high price) clients. And I would have a 100% pre-payment from all of them before doing anything.

Say, doing maximum 2-3 deals a year and earn a full years living of say $10 million.

No one would pay? Of course there would be paying clients. Some people look more to quality than price (as discussed many times before). And besides, the loss of not getting any clients would not be that big of a loss anyway. You could always do some regular job in the meantime so as to stay alive. See it as the game it really is.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

you are the perfect partner for many others here then. You should have seen the amount of ideas that we generated when we were together this past weekend. I lost count after the first ten ideas were put out there in less than 20 minutes.

Nah, that's simply not true. you do have ideas, but you are selling yourself short thinking it can't be done. Here is the deal. I will give you an idea, you execute, I take 51% of the deal and you 49%, and you do as I say. Deal?
On the contrary, you are at an age where you have all the energy in you to make things happen. I simply don't have enough hours in the day to execute all the ideas I got, so I have to settle in a couple of them only. Do I know if they will be successful? NO. But I will keep trying one and then another. Test each idea, and run with the ones that have future and drop those that simply won't work. hmmm maybe you are simply scared of failing in your idea? Like I said, ideas are available all over the place. some are good, some are just ok, some suck, and some are billion dollar ideas.
If you believe it can't be done then forget about it and move on.
If you are just looking for experience then find a job in a field you are interested in and learn for a couple of years.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007

That is B.S.
Your age group is one of the demographics
companies are killing themselves to target.
I'd find it very, very surprising
that entrepreneurs looking to tap into the teen market
wouldn't partner with you.

Sure, you might only get a sliver of ownership or profits
(because you don't bring a lot of experience)
but you'd be gaining that experience
and a sliver of something is a base to build on.

BUT,
and this is a big but,
these opps aren't going to come to you.
You have to go out and find the entrepreneurs
and market yourself to them.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
If you think you simply don't have any ideas you need to hang around creative people. I believe that the lack of ideas is from being in an employee mindset. We all have ideas, we just can't get them to come to the surface. You need to find free thinking creative people to hang around with and wake your spirit up. Also, don't be so afraid of being wrong. You will be wrong, gotta get over it.:cheers:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
If you think you simply don't have any ideas you need to hang around creative people. I believe that the lack of ideas is from being in an employee mindset. We all have ideas, we just can't get them to come to the surface. You need to find free thinking creative people to hang around with and wake your spirit up. Also, don't be so afraid of being wrong. You will be wrong, gotta get over it.:cheers:

In medical terms: Dopamine level disorder. I read that creative people had a different level of Dopamine in their brain, than "ordinary/ not so creative" people. They also used their Alpha and Theta brain levels more than the non-creative (who uses the more stressing Beta level, which you reach if you drink coffee for example). Just to put a scientific spin on this thing about thinking creatively:).

It has very much to do with chemical compositions in the brain. Some have the right setup, many others don't. Hence they need to struggle with idea creations and innovation.

That is why I believe so much in the Wealth Dynamic system. It makes sense because it can be related to medical proof:).

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
I've been stuck back in Corporate land for 16 months but this week dragged me back to a Fastlane mindset. In my case, the ex lost her mind and assaulted me after a stay in the mental hospital. My baby bailed out and hid behind me saying "Daddy, protect me" and when you are a guy and you are in Family Court it doesn't matter how well the facts stack up for you - it's $20-50K to protect your kid. That is motivation.

The other motivation is another member of this forum you met at B&P - hot chick that Andres was trying to get undressed (inside joke).

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
You already mentioned your idea in your post above: problem-solver. Be a highly paid and highly profiled and niched expert in whatever suits you.

Set the price you want for your time and/or expertise and dig in:).

If I wanted to be a startup expert then I would be able to go out there and help people start companies and earn a heck of a lot of money in the process. Though, at the moment, I have no real stardom aspirations and everything that brings with it:). But if I had, I would be rich from that to.

I would have had a website designed with me as the main picture part smiling and looking gorgeous and successful. I would then let people pay via an online payment system. I would ask for crazy amounts and serve, but a few but well selected (due to the high price) clients. And I would have a 100% pre-payment from all of them before doing anything.

Say, doing maximum 2-3 deals a year and earn a full years living of say $10 million.

No one would pay? Of course there would be paying clients. Some people look more to quality than price (as discussed many times before). And besides, the loss of not getting any clients would not be that big of a loss anyway. You could always do some regular job in the meantime so as to stay alive. See it as the game it really is.

That seems like a great idea to be the person that links together a great idea and its creator and puts it into action, deals with the contracts, and legal protection, marketing and problem solving that the idea needs to take off.

I will more than likely be in university next year studying a business degree, maybe marketing or management that would be a great environment to find the people with ideas.

Thanks

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
you are the perfect partner for many others here then. You should have seen the amount of ideas that we generated when we were together this past weekend. I lost count after the first ten ideas were put out there in less than 20 minutes.

Nah, that's simply not true. you do have ideas, but you are selling yourself short thinking it can't be done. Here is the deal. I will give you an idea, you execute, I take 51% of the deal and you 49%, and you do as I say. Deal?

I would love to hear your suggestions.

Keep in mind I have no experience in startups before, all I have is my will power and I am also on the other side of the pacific so there is no guarantee of success, but nothing to lose from failure either :)

If you believe it can't be done then forget about it and move on.
If you are just looking for experience then find a job in a field you are interested in and learn for a couple of years.

Yes I don't see how investing in the cash flow negative property in Australia can ever be viable unless you use it to offset tax on other income streams so I will move on from that.

As far as a job goes I would like to do marketing or another business related degree next year so the lesson I will learn there as well as the people I will be with will hopefully be full of ideas and have the mindset of an entrepreneur.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
That is B.S.
Your age group is one of the demographics
companies are killing themselves to target.
I'd find it very, very surprising
that entrepreneurs looking to tap into the teen market
wouldn't partner with you.

Sure, you might only get a sliver of ownership or profits
(because you don't bring a lot of experience)
but you'd be gaining that experience
and a sliver of something is a base to build on.

BUT,
and this is a big but,
these opps aren't going to come to you.
You have to go out and find the entrepreneurs
and market yourself to them.

This is a good idea, though my friends don't really have the mind of an entrepreneur I could definetely gauge the trends from them and what marketing techniques are effective etc.

As you said it might not be a hit straight away but start small and branch out :)

That is probably true to some degree, I am not completely lacking in creativity but not being around any creative people probably doesn't help.

As I said to others in the above responses I am confident my time at university next year will put me in an environment with creative, motivated people. I'm not really afraid of being wrong with an idea, if I had an idea and a good team I am confident I could do well.

In medical terms: Dopamine level disorder. I read that creative people had a different level of Dopamine in their brain, than "ordinary/ not so creative" people. They also used their Alpha and Theta brain levels more than the non-creative (who uses the more stressing Beta level, which you reach if you drink coffee for example). Just to put a scientific spin on this thing about thinking creatively:).

It has very much to do with chemical compositions in the brain. Some have the right setup, many others don't. Hence they need to struggle with idea creations and innovation.

That is why I believe so much in the Wealth Dynamic system. It makes sense because it can be related to medical proof:).

This is true some people definitely are more creative than others.

I am not completely lacking in creativity but my strengths lie in solving practical real life problems (not so much theoretical problems).

Things I can see and touch and do are fun for me to work with, but I am, fixing problems wiht people and convincing people are a strong point but solving differential equations is not a strong point :)

I've been stuck back in Corporate land for 16 months but this week dragged me back to a Fastlane mindset. In my case, the ex lost her mind and assaulted me after a stay in the mental hospital. My baby bailed out and hid behind me saying "Daddy, protect me" and when you are a guy and you are in Family Court it doesn't matter how well the facts stack up for you - it's $20-50K to protect your kid. That is motivation.

The other motivation is another member of this forum you met at B&P - hot chick that Andres was trying to get undressed (inside joke).

That must be hard having to fight for custody when you seem to be a much more worthy parent, good luck with the custody fight and your goals

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia

I totally missed this post

Another person suggested something similar

Take a regular idea with competition existing, get a good reputation branch out and expand

Thanks

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
A big thanks to everyone who helped me out here

Everyone in here has given a bit of time to give me some thoughtful responses

Considering I have not a great deal to give back to this forum in this stage of my life the time you gave is very much appreciated

May you all be blessed with good karma :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Humans are motivated by pain or pleasure.

My "spark" or "inspiration" was the desire to survive. When I moved to Phoenix, my safety nets were gone. I had no choice but to survive and thrive. The fear of that pain (not making rent, having to get a job) motivated me.

Then as things improved, the motivation turned more "pleasurely" (doodads, etc) and "philanthropic" like paying off my mother's mortgage.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Humans are motivated by pain or pleasure.

My "spark" or "inspiration" was the desire to survive. When I moved to Phoenix, my safety nets were gone. I had no choice but to survive and thrive. The fear of that pain (not making rent, having to get a job) motivated me.

Then as things improved, the motivation turned more "pleasurely" (doodads, etc) and "philanthropic" like paying off my mother's mortgage.

I don't know about you, but I just jump at stuff. That gives me a kick to do stuff (it's like, I guess, doing bungy jumping. The same thrill of death and life). Having aims and setting up game rules that you will follow is also fun. Making everything into a big and elaborate game:).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.