The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What the hell happened, UPS really screwed me over.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
I was pretty pissed off but I am over it now. BUt I figure it's worth sharing as a warning of sorts.

I have been using UPS for 6 months and never had a problem. Last week every single box I shipped out was broken or damaged beyond repair. 7 boxes and $950 that I had to refund to customers.

And of course UPS decieded that it's not their fault. I don't have time to fight with them on this so I am just gonna let it go.

Anyone else had an experience like this with UPS?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Sorry that has happened to you and UPS sounded like total d-bags.

A few years back, during the holidays, I had bought my older brother a few, pretty expensive gifts. When I finally recieved them, somebody stole one of them. I didn't bother contacting UPS, but I was compensated by the company from whom I ordered the gifts.

again, sorry that happened to you, but thank you for the heads, I'll keep note of that, when it's time to find a drop shipper.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Someone posted a picture of my book delivered via UPS -- lets just say it looked like they ran it over with a lawnmower.

scaled.php

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Someone posted a picture of my book delivered via UPS -- lets just say it looked like they ran it over with a lawnmower.

scaled.php

That is a sad sight... :smxE:

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
UPS and FedEx will shred packages regularly, it's just a volume problem.

If you are a preferred shipper, you should call the phone # and explain the situation.

If you have not changed packaging, etc then they should offer some solutions/explanations.

--
I don't do the shipping at my business, but I believe most packages are automatically insured for $100 or so. Might want to check with that too.

If it is going UPS Ground they boxes really get chucked around. Truck to Train to Truck.
Air packages get handled much less (and obviously with a lot less time in the system)

We'd shipped and grown our business with UPS for about 4 years now. Aside from the odd things here and there, they have been good to us with rare damage and claims.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'm a big fan of FedEx. UPS is ALWAYS late, messes up orders, if they "can't deliver" they bring it back to their facility and then hold it there, trying to charge me for it, and then send it back. Screw that. Switched to FedEx and don't have any issues.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Agree w/the Stevester.

I came from an industry that did *lots* of shipping (high end electronics).

Every single manufacturer I knew eventually switched to FedEx.

Less problems, and better follow-up when they did mess up (hey, it will happen)

-Russ H.

G

Guest3722A

When an item is 'boxed', for the insurance to be valid, all corners and seams top and bottom have to be taped w/ups.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I ship 100% Fedex. They have only lost 1 package (3 weeks ago) in the 3 years I've been using them for all my stores, and I'm still waiting on that claim.

Capital Life

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2010
Lincoln Il
I have a lot of experience with UPS, USPS, and FedEx. By far I have had the least problems with FedEx. They tend to cost a little more, but it's most definitely worth the few extra. I also worked for FedEx. I had the "opportunity" to work for UPS, but declined and prayed FedEx would call me... they did. UPS is union making a whopping $8.50/hr plus $55 in union dues monthly. Their hubs are horribly confusing, messy and it's one guy/truck....get the stuff on there cause you've got 2 more and 3 hours.
FedEx...completely different. 2-3 guys a truck, T-stacking method is pushed more than volume (method to get most packages on a truck while minimizing package shift during transit) and $11.52/hr non union - Amazing part time benefits. I worked with a LOT of people that worked there at night only for the benefits. Some where accountants, Realtors, Lawn/Garden pros that ran their own business etc. I could be bias too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.