The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if EVERYONE were legally required to carry a concealed weapons permit?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What do you guys think about carrying in places like hospitals, airports, schools, and government buildings?

Well, would the terrorist attacks on Sept 11th have happened if most of the domestic flight was armed? Nope.

Hospitals, if there is no 30.06 sign in Texas, I do.

Schools, a lot like prison guards, if the of age person is legally allowed to own a handgun and undergoes special retention and concealment training to insure the gun isn't stripped.

Government buildings, of course we should, we the people own them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Personally, I don't own a gun. I don't see myself ever owning a gun. Doesn't mean it won't happen, though.

I agree with JAJT in that I'd rather see more good guys carrying than bad guys. Bad guys will carry no matter what. In every single country where guns are outlawed, there is a gang or criminal outfit that has a stockpile of firearms and they are ready to use them. And guess what? They DO use them.

Requiring everyone to be educated on and carry a concealed weapon is an awful idea. Not everyone will understand what to do with it even after being educated.

As far as gun control, we absolutely NEED everyone in the US to be educated, tested, and mentally checked before they can even legally purchase, use, or carry a gun. People who really want or need the protection of a gun will go through the process before they get one. Just like getting a driver's license (since, you know, cars can kill too).

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
It's not what about which out numbers what.
By the numbers of the Gun Related deaths in the US that you just showed 31,672, don't you think it would be way less if guns were illegal?
Because the only ones with guns then would be mobsters or small time criminals instead of the avarage Joe who turns psycho suddenly.

Have a good day guys :)

The majority of gun related deaths are not from average Joe turned psycho though, they are mainly suicide and criminal related deaths.

Example 1: The FBI reports there were 8,583 gun related murders during 2011, of those, 71 percent (approximately 6,100) were gun related criminal on criminal deaths. (Note: these are murders, not deaths)

Example 2: The US Department of Justice reports that approximately 60% of all adult firearm deaths are by suicide, 61% more than deaths by homicide.

So statistically speaking, mass shootings and the "average Joe turned psycho" is the least of our worries.

As a rough estimate, 61% or 19,003 of these deaths are from suicide and 6,100 are from criminal related murder, you can leave the last 6,569 to divide up between self defense, civilian shootings, accidents, etc. and yes some very marginal mass murders.

Also to note, since a majority of gun related deaths are from suicide, technically if you banned guns the number of deaths would substantially decline, but I would venture to guess that the number of suicides would remain the same. So that makes your statement just about worthless

Boom.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Well, would the terrorist attacks on Sept 11th have happened if most of the domestic flight was armed? Nope.

Hospitals, if there is no 30.06 sign in Texas, I do.

Schools, a lot like prison guards, if the of age person is legally allowed to own a handgun and undergoes special retention and concealment training to insure the gun isn't stripped.

Government buildings, of course we should, we the people own them.

+10

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
criminals don't think much, they always assume they are smarter, slicker and will get away with it, that's why they do it.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
The majority of gun related deaths are not from average Joe turned psycho though, they are mainly suicide and criminal related deaths.

Example 1: The FBI reports there were 8,583 gun related murders during 2011, of those, 71 percent (approximately 6,100) were gun related criminal on criminal deaths. (Note: these are murders, not deaths)

Example 2: The US Department of Justice reports that approximately 60% of all adult firearm deaths are by suicide, 61% more than deaths by homicide.

So statistically speaking, mass shootings and the "average Joe turned psycho" is the least of our worries.

As a rough estimate, 61% or 19,003 of these deaths are from suicide and 6,100 are from criminal related murder, you can leave the last 6,569 to divide up between self defense, civilian shootings, accidents, etc. and yes some very marginal mass murders.

Also to note, since a majority of gun related deaths are from suicide, technically if you banned guns the number of deaths would substantially decline, but I would venture to guess that the number of suicides would remain the same. So that makes your statement just about worthless

Boom.

You left out officer involved shootings.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Just a guess...

- Less petty theft
- Higher suicide rates
- More people in jail
- Less social society

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
This debate is a never ending story.

Comparing stats with other countries is misleading, or at the very least willful ignorance. Demographics are different, socioeconomic situation is different, culture is different, history is different. No comparison.

Comparing stats with other "harmful things" like car accidents or drugs is once again, misleading and/or ignorant. A cars primary purpose is not to harm a person. Neither are drugs. Therefore the comparison is moot to begin with.

The problem is that its an emotional (and divisive) topic. Remove the emotion and perhaps there could be a discussion weighing all the factors to find the right solutions.

In my opinion no one is talking about the root cause, which is the metal health issue. Address THAT, and you might start finding a comfortable middle ground.

G

Guest3722A

In my opinion no one is talking about the root cause, which is the metal health issue. Address THAT, and you might start finding a comfortable middle ground.

I completely agree. I also think that this is where the money is.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I think guns are a scapegoat much of the time. Taking them away . . . having even more people be armed . . . oftentimes it's a way of avoiding the fact that we're the ones that are f*cked up, not our weapons or our lack of them. It's easier to blame our violence on the weapons though.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
In Kennesaw, Georgia citizens are required to own a firearm. Here are some stats I haven't verified https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...38166833.40496.133279166727577&type=1&theater and an article regarding a massacre there: www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&es...gmJnJe1j35AVaxquQVzcXTw&bvm=bv.41867550,d.aWc

The massacre wasn't there.

G

Guest3722A

I think guns are a scapegoat much of the time. Taking them away . . . having even more people be armed . . . oftentimes it's a way of avoiding the fact that we're the ones that are f*cked up, not our weapons or our lack of them. It's easier to blame our violence on the weapons though.

I additionally think it's easy to use a subject like this to blindfold the US public from the real issue of the economy as well as the sneaky creeping up of gasoline prices, post election..... AHEM!!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Looks to me like there's a need here that's screaming to pay some company/person millions.
Like the "f'ing awesome" gun box I designed :coolgleamA:

7.jpg

8-1024x625.jpg

Idea has pretty much been killed..I like it though :eusa_clap:

G

Guest3722A

I'm in the school of thought that addressing the mental health issue and devising a way to separate guns from the mentally ill could be the ticket to possible wealth for the entity that can keep all sides happy while accomplishing this.

Smart Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ->> REJECTED

G

Guest3722A

Like the "f'ing awesome" gun box I designed :coolgleamA:

7.jpg

8-1024x625.jpg

Idea has pretty much been killed..I like it though :eusa_clap:

Nice piece! HK?? ...and on track to the right idea, if you ask me.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yes...that's a HK. That's kind of a cool Novelty item. In case of Zombies, break glass?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Yes...that's a HK. That's kind of a cool Novelty item. In case of Zombies, break glass?
Something like that. In case of intruder is what I had in mind.

Basically a night time storage box with easy access under stress..or an awesome display case :coolgleamA:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Wow, so please explain to me this; Coca (the plant used to make cocaine) is not grown anywhere in the united states and yet historically it has run rampant through big cities. Making something illegal will not keep it out of the hands of the criminals, only the law abiding citizens.

:bgh:

and i've read the coca plant leaves have great benefits w/ steady energy source w/out the side effects of caffeine. They chew the leaves there all the time, make tea with it. combats altitude sickness very well. Only legal in peru, Bolivia, Columbia, and Ecuador I believe. I think coca cola is the only company that can import the leaves.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
In Kennesaw, Georgia citizens are required to own a firearm. Here are some stats I haven't verified https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...38166833.40496.133279166727577&type=1&theater and an article regarding a massacre there: www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&es...gmJnJe1j35AVaxquQVzcXTw&bvm=bv.41867550,d.aWc

I lived near there for quite a few years. Although the city of Kennesaw didn't enforce the ordinance that every household have a firearm, the publicity they got was a HUGE deterrent. Who the heck wants to commit a crime when they know a household is likely armed?

obama should go to chicago and give a speech in gangland. Gangs are the problem there for the high murder rate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.