The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What did you wish you were told when you were younger

Micah Rutter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 5, 2016
Hey, I'm 15 (yes 15)

What advice did you wish you were told around my age or younger? Some people have said to invest in yourself, which I do 9+ hours everyday (i am not in high school).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Financial literacy. I didn't know about the Federal Reserve, or the awesome power of compound interest, until much, much later.

Create, don't consume. (well, at least until after you've created something wonderful and sellable)

Oh, and all that social stuff... I completely missed out on that. Notice how people act and emulate the best ones. Repeat until you're dead. (See? Still working on my social skills.)

ReubenA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 3, 2016
Take shit more seriously and learn patience + consistency. I was pretty switched on around that age but it didn't amount to a whole lot.. not because of a lack of information or knowledge.. but from a lack of action.

Perfect plan + bad execution = below average results
Average plan + perfect execution = great results

All the information you need to do anything you want is out there for free. Become really good at finding the best stuff and taking action on it.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Read a book on Office Politics and how to behave at work...this book would have saved me years of grief:
Secrets to winning at Office Politics by Marie McIntyre

Find a mentor (or 5...not kidding) that is *living* the kind of life that you want, and do what they say. (don't find people that just like to spout off their theories...find people that are actually doing)

push through your fears. - including all the typical teenage ones (if you have a fear, 99% of every other teen does too) ... the faster you do that, the faster you'll realize that most fear is fake - you won't die if you ask that girl out and she says no. you won't die if you don't make the team, or make the goal, or ...

Figure out sooner rather than later how to live a generous life. - be giving in all circumstances. - this will solve the vast majority of social anxiety. (if you're focused on helping other people feel welcome, then you'll forget that you feel awkward)

Start DOING stuff. you'll only figure out what you're good at by trying things.

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
I missed on many things, but one thing I'm thankful that I had was focus on the goal and constant development. A teacher said "you must have priorities". Where that lead me :

- I left the cheap terrible but easy to graduate state university and went to a private one where it was harder and more expensive (still not really expensive, I just didn't have any money at the moment and no one to take them from).
- This had very good impact on my professional life, my salary increased, switched teams, got a girlfriend ... but then I left the job for an year, spend my money learning, then my salary again increased double ... (I also had a very good business idea, had clients, but I needed money for more then 1 year to keep running it, so gave up ... I didn't think on using outsourcing back then ... )
- You'll have "failures" but those are normal in the path when you know what you want - you give up something , next thing fails you, but the the thing next to the next thing will make you know why it was worth it going on the path.
- Change environment - try to have grown up and thinking people around you, and not the funny type that can't talk on serious topics.
- Don't be bothered by circumstances - accept change in order to persist to the goal.

Also important thing in these days - learn how to learn a complex topic yourself - easiest example is foreign language or a new sphere where the thing can not be just taught ... you have to understand it yourself and making the links fastest way possible. Don't eat books, read them, grasp the ideas - that is what is left for you, you can't memorize more. I have friends going to courses ... fun they have learning technical stuff, but at the end they still have questions that show lack of basic understanding about the core of the subject - don't eat knowledge, but think of the context.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Might sound kinda lame, but don't skip classes and finish schooling, do NOT try to impress your peers by being a "rebel"...

Sounds very common and you've heard this a million times, but let me tell you that your actions will effect you as you grow older.

If you decide to skip classes, you'll end up becoming the type of person who just "takes an off" whenever things get difficult

I'd even go as far as to say if you plan on going to college/university but are unsure, I'd say go just to gauge your discipline level. I agree that degrees these days are mostly overpriced and can be very useless, but one thing I've learned over the years is that finishing university isn't easy and the reason for that is discipline. It takes discipline to study for 4 years and graduate, even if the courses might seem easy, and this will teach you to press on in spite of not seeing instant results.

It's something I didn't get a chance on until now at almost 26, and I wish I'd had it when I was 20.

You're young and brimming with optimism, but trust me on one thing(you'll hear this a lot), it's not intelligence, not genius, high IQ level, a charismatic personality, college degree, financial capital, or even "random luck" that'll make you successful, it's PERSISTENCE and DISCIPLINE.

And Discipline is just forming good habits early on and never breaking them, that's how you compound process and eventually reach success.

If there's one thing you should focus on that guarantees success, it's this

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Might sound kinda lame, but don't skip classes and finish schooling, do NOT try to impress your peers by being a "rebel"...

Sounds very common and you've heard this a million times, but let me tell you that your actions will effect you as you grow older.

If you decide to skip classes, you'll end up becoming the type of person who just "takes an off" whenever things get difficult

Agreed in some ways, but also don't be afraid of being a rebel. Entrepreneurs are rebels!

Somewhere there's a fine line.

I mean, your boss wants you at your desk at 8:45am, even though he doesn't pay you until 9am. If you want the job, you better do as he says, but don't forget to find a way to get out of the life so many people accept and peace the f*ck out of the rat race.

For example: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249415

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
I have been reading everything I can get to give me the magical "one last advice" that will get me on the road to the great life since I was 12 (Yeah, never been a social kid). It has been 10 years now and I kept reading. Now I can clearly say that I have found the last damn advice that I needed. If you are like my 15 yo self than this will disappoint you while it is liberating to me. Here it is:

There is no magical advice that will give you what you need. You keep reading with the secret hope of that list piece, there is none. 'Nothing worth knowing can be taught.' said Oscar Wilde and he was right. If you want to become successful, rich, ripped and overall to have an awesome life, set your mind to something (this is your big goal) then inform yourself briefly and start doing it. No amount of reading can teach you as much a one day of action. Then when you need a specific information about a specific step, come here, explain yourself and people will help you. Don't try to screw them, they can read it from your words. Be genuine and masters shall help.

Let's say you want to create an e-commerce empire. Don't read for months, don't listen to audiobooks for months, don't buy tickets to shitty weekend seminars for $997. Search the market for needs, do your research, and order samples within 2-3 weeks. Don't try to absorb every piece of information you can find about the subject for months. Most of them are sales pitch for some info product anyways.

Let's say you want to get ripped. Don't try to watch every YouTube video about body building. Inform yourself about how to lift properly and go lift.

I have lost 10 years of my lifetime to figure out this simple yet effective way of execution. Don't be a watcher, be an operator.

Hope this helps.

TK

JDK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 4, 2016
The one thing I wish somebody told me, in regards to business, is that you don't have to be the biggest in the field to be successful. Walmart may be the biggest retailer, but Target is still making plenty of money. Whole Foods may be the biggest supermarket when it comes to the all natural thing, but Trader Joe's still has some pennies in the bank.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
The one thing I wished I knew at your age was that what and how you think affects your life. Being positive, makes a difference. For way too long I thought life was about dealing with what happened to me. In other words I was under the firm belief that I had very little control over my destiny and I just had to make the best of the choices offered to me. It wasn't until I believed I could achieve (almost) anything if I put my mind to it and followed through with a lot of persistent targeted effort that the 'big things' started happening.

The fact that you're on here asking these questions means that you're already way ahead of where I was at your age.

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Not related to me but its what I would tell someone.

• Don't expect anything done for you
  • Get ahead of everyone else, they're your competition
  • Be smart, don't make bad decisions (drugs/law breaking)
  • Start a business, think of something you love and try and offer something that helps people. Do you play basketball a lot? Spend your birthday money on getting cool headbands made and try and sell every single one to your friends
  • Read books, even though you hate them. Habits become favorites.
  • Don't worry about what anyone thinks of you, be confident and enjoy life

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Read any of Ayn Rand's books, the earlier you accept her visions of the world, the better it is for you. Even though you won't agree with all of her visions, you can still apply most of what's in the book to the world that we are living in today, and most importantly, you can use what's in those books to be able to tell the bullshits of the adults around you, which is most of them. Remember nobody have your best interest in mind other than yourself!!

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Hey, I'm 15 (yes 15)

What advice did you wish you were told around my age or younger? Some people have said to invest in yourself, which I do 9+ hours everyday (i am not in high school).

Learn how to sell.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
The one thing I wished I knew at your age was that what and how you think affects your life. Being positive, makes a difference. For way too long I thought life was about dealing with what happened to me. In other words I was under the firm belief that I had very little control over my destiny and I just had to make the best of the choices offered to me. It wasn't until I believed I could achieve (almost) anything if I put my mind to it and followed through with a lot of persistent targeted effort that the 'big things' started happening.

The fact that you're on here asking these questions means that you're already way ahead of where I was at your age.
I agree with this and want to expand on this . This is something im JUST NOW fully grasping and im 22 . If you believe your "problems" arent problems the they wont be . If you believe you are the greatest then you will be . simple changes in how you perceive your world will DRASTICALLY change your life . Dont get wrapped up in what people think of you only what you think of you truly matters . Aside from that, be confident in every aspect of life , be dedicated , and take pride in everything you do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.