The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Was I a target of a scam attempt?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

skipper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Aug 10, 2012
A while ago I received a call from "investment company in Hong Kong" and was asked a few questions which I answered more or less truthfully (there was no real disclosure, they were the most interested if I am willing to invest).

So yesterday I got another call, supposedly from "Stock Bridge Partners, based in Osaka, Japan". The gentleman gave me his name, which does not come up on linkedin, but a google search does find that name in a financial fraud story.

Anyway, he was telling me about a company, "which I promise you is going to grow from $39 to up to $60 in the next 90 days.". He also had a backstory for this "promise", which maybe would sound good to somebody who has never invested before. He also said this information was "not available on emails on other channels" (but a quick google search proved him wrong).

So out of curiosity I kept him talking. I do that sometimes with telemarketers just to see how they sell. And this one was good. He kept me on the line for more than a hour.

During the "discussion" (he was the one to talk, I kept my answers to minimum), he came up with a hypothetical scenario of me buying 2000 shares, which is nothing in the range I would ever invest into a single stock. Through some discussion he lowered that number to 500 shares BUT changed his tactics into "I've made the order in our system and..."

Wow. At this point I really had to pay attention. "Are we still discussing hypothetical scenario here"... and he kind of said yes, only to try the same approach 10 minutes later.

As he realised I was the skeptic type, he also said something along the lines "of course you have no basis to trust me. That's why you are not sending the money to us, but to an agency of the company who's shares you are buying. They make sure you get the stock and we get the money". Huh, say what?

I also noticed that whenever he mentioned an order form, he kind of really stressed "AND a tax free form which you MUST fill in", directing attention on the former, off the order form.

I had to hang up on the guy at the end... he wouldn't let go.

So what to hell happened here?
a) there really is Stock Bridge Partners and this was a legit call (chances: 0,01%)
b) pump and dump?
c) pure fraud attempt, they would get my money, I would get nothing

Should I report this to the Police?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
A while ago I received a call from "investment company in Hong Kong"

Red flag...

"which I promise you is going to grow from $39 to up to $60 in the next 90 days.". He also had a backstory for this "promise", which maybe would sound good to somebody who has never invested before.
This is almost too stupid to be real, listen for the underlined text in the video. *smirks*
During the "discussion" (he was the one to talk, I kept my answers to minimum), he came up with a hypothetical scenario of me buying 2000 shares, which is nothing in the range I would ever invest into a single stock. Through some discussion he lowered that number to 500 shares BUT changed his tactics into "I've made the order in our system and..."
[video=youtube;2sYh0cnJ5r4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sYh0cnJ5r4[/video]

Classic, they didn't even bother to change the number from the movie they watched last week :rofl:

So out of curiosity I kept him talking. I do that sometimes with telemarketers just to see how they sell. And this one was good. He kept me on the line for more than a hour.

Wow. At this point I really had to pay attention. "Are we still discussing hypothetical scenario here"... and he kind of said yes, only to try the same approach 10 minutes later.

As he realised I was the skeptic type, he also said something along the lines "of course you have no basis to trust me. That's why you are not sending the money to us, but to an agency of the company who's shares you are buying. They make sure you get the stock and we get the money". Huh, say what?

I also noticed that whenever he mentioned an order form, he kind of really stressed "AND a tax free form which you MUST fill in", directing attention on the former, off the order form.

I had to hang up on the guy at the end... he wouldn't let go.
So, what have we concluded here?
So what to hell happened here?
a) there really is Stock Bridge Partners and this was a legit call (chances: 0,01%)
b) pump and dump?

Should I report this to the Police?

Their either running a boiler room or they are a couple of guys trying to get you to to send over your money at which point it will go straight into their pocket and they will disappear into the crowd.

I doubt the SEC can do much if they are outside of the U.S, but I would still bring this to their attention.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If you have to ask, it's yes.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My wife got a call recently that was hilarious. They were claiming we had an unpaid bill for lawncare services. Wife says we've never done any kind of lawn care purchase since owning the home. They try to get how long we've owned the home and she says it doesn't matter.

Then my wife goes on the aggressive and asks what name they have on file. They tried to avoid it by saying "Mam, it's all right here on the screen" and when pressed the lady calling us gave some name that wasn't even close. Then she tried saying it was for the address, not necessarily the name (right...). My wife asks what address they have on file and again "mam, it's all right here, I have it all on file" and finally gives an address that wasn't ours. She STILL kept going on about how we owe this money until my wife just hangs up on her.

So glad I have a smart wife when it comes to these calls.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

pdog

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 22, 2012
Kelowna, BC

Seems like a complete waste of time to me.

I hope you got an hour's worth of your time in "sales tricks" value.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
b) pump and dump?
B) possibly
C) probably

Some people even go so far with this scam that they'll set up fake shell companies and hire fake HR departments in the Philippines to answer questions when people call about the stock they "bought"

Pump..Dump..scam, use the illegal proceeds to purchase legal businesses in foreign countries and get clean and legal profits.

Skywayne

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 12, 2012
Was I a target of a scam attempt?

Sounds like it.

Unfortunately you didn't get lucky like I was last week when I received an email from Nigeria asking to GIVE me money. All they needed was my bank's wiring instructions. I'll be rolling in cash any day now!

skipper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Aug 10, 2012
Seems like a complete waste of time to me.
I hope you got an hour's worth of your time in "sales tricks" value.

Oh, the guy was good. Had he been selling whatever kind of real product, I have no doubt people would buy from him.
He was actually able to frame the discussion in a way that made $70k almost sound "reasonably small amount".
AND he was very good at trying to close the sale in the single call. Really, to bad he's not running a real business.

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
Or you can start trying to sell the solicitor something. They don't expect it and you can practice your sales lines. Personally I never answer an unknown number unless by mistake and then I'll hang up right away. My time's too valuable to even say no.....just click.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.