The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Visual Twitter Idea in the Works

Idea threads

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
I have been thinking about this project for a while. When I first came up with the idea it seemed too simple to get any traction but I bit the bullet and put the time into it anyway. This is the first iteration of this site and will be upgraded with new features over time. I will keep this thread updated as I make changes to the site and start to execute the business plan. For now you can be a part of the beginning here.

http://geocodeplus.com/happymap

--Bryan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

StevenFlecha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 25, 2013
Location Idependent
ha I like it :) however if there is a business model in here.. not sure.. but then again that's the same thought I had when I first heard of Twitter...
good luck!

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
So this is a hobby it seems... I give you adaboy for your pulling the trigger on something but I find it hard to take you serious.

Judging by what it looks like, I think, at the minimum, you could have chosen a better name/website name for your effort. As it is now, it is too technical, in my opinion.

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
So this is a hobby it seems... I give you adaboy for your pulling the trigger on something but I find it hard to take you serious.

Judging by what it looks like, I think, at the minimum, you could have chosen a better name/website name for your effort. As it is now, it is too technical, in my opinion.

The hobby part was the front end since I am still working on my UI skills and I admit the original design was slapped together in a couple hours, was not responsive and did not work well on mobile devices. All of my experience is on back end geospatial data.

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
The whole page at http://geocodeplus.com/happymap has been rewritten. But it has evolved into something different which I did purchase a domain name for http://mapyourpoll.com. The UI framework for both pages has been rewritten using Bootstrap. This page also uses a geoserver to serve up the poll data instead of individual markers, this makes it faster and able to handle more data.

--Bryan

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I actually find the mapyourpoll pretty cool. People could do surveys very easily with this website and know exactly how different geographic locations affect their decisions. You could be onto something here!

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
I actually find the mapyourpoll pretty cool. People could do surveys very easily with this website and know exactly how different geographic locations affect their decisions. You could be onto something here!

While redesigning the interface I made the whole thing generic. It could display pictures of beer cans or different brand labels, pretty much anything. I will be working on the code this weekend to add an interface to create polls. Right now the questions are hard coded.
--Bryan

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
@murlin99 when you get a chance, please shoot me a PM. I think I might need someone with your background to get my current project up and running.

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
This first little idea spawned into dozens more in my mind, some of them quite mind blowing. But my first run at business will not be trying to sell these maps or the idea's around these maps. After weeks of testing my maps using a developers key to access Mapquest data it turns out that though it is a "free" key to access their data is not really free... You do not have to pay for it no doubt, but after running a lot of batch queries against their system they send me an email complaining about my high usage to geocode addresses into coordinates. They though let me know that they would kindly sell me the low end enterprise key for $2500yr. That key still limits how many queries you can perform per day..... I can do it better and cheaper. I will start a new thread with more details soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.