The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trying to figure out what i want to do for a business

Idea threads

confuser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 26, 2023
I have excelled with 3d printing and have become pretty knowledgeable within that space overall. I want to make my 3d printer useful and start making money with it. I hope to be able to expand into other CNC machines as well, my goal with that being to have easy access to a variety of machines that my family and friends could have access to, but ya know baby steps, so I want to start out with my 3d printer I will likely have to build more of them too if I want to get more serious about this.
I am struggling to come up with something I could do involving CNC machining that I could turn into a business despite reading about a variety of ways I could do this.
I guess I just need to do some market assessment...I just don't know where I should start with this, what directions to go in. Writing this out is helping me figure out my thoughts a little bit.
If anyone has any thoughts they would like to contribute I would appreciate your time, maybe this stuff will help someone else too. This would be my first attempt at starting any side hustles or businesses or anything of the sort.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
You could also provide a service of 3D printing. I know personally I was recently in the market for rapid prototyping. I am currently working with a local designer for that reason.

If you want to create products to sell, you can look only at what other people are making with certain materials. You could also run a service where you create products for businesses that need 3D printing or CNC machine work done, like signage. If you are not sure, just start making things you enjoy, and test the market by selling things. If you do it enough, you are bound to find something people want to buy.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Do not limit your thinking to just one tool. There are many products you can manufacture where the 3D printer can be utilized for one process / component, and the rest must be finished with other techniques / materials.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
In what ways have you excelled in 3D printing? Are you adept at tuning printer parameters for optimized printing with various filaments? Can you tweak the gcode as needed to address special circumstances and for troubleshooting?

Instead of starting another D&D store or equivalent, pick an area you are familiar with and consider possible after-market accessories. Profit margins can be very good in niche markets. With some careful thought and solid modeling skills, profitability and branding success can likely be achieved early on. Possibilities that come to mind are custom fit console accessories for high end automobiles, custom designed and holders for specialty shop tools, and organizers for small parts craft hobbies. Do your research to confirm the strength of the competition.

Profit margins can be even better in the industrial arena, but you’ll probably have to first establish credibility in the commercial sector. Developing skill in one of the mainstream parametric modeling software programs, such as Solidworks or Fusion360, will improve your industrial marketability and your bottom line.

And read this post. Some of the info is dated but the concepts remain solid.

Lots of folks are in this market, but most of them are sheep. Set yourself apart with innovation, marketing, and drive.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

confuser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 26, 2023
I have excelled with 3d printing and have become pretty knowledgeable within that space overall. I want to make my 3d printer useful and start making money with it. I hope to be able to expand into other CNC machines as well, my goal with that being to have easy access to a variety of machines that my family and friends could have access to, but ya know baby steps, so I want to start out with my 3d printer I will likely have to build more of them too if I want to get more serious about this.
I am struggling to come up with something I could do involving CNC machining that I could turn into a business despite reading about a variety of ways I could do this.
I guess I just need to do some market assessment...I just don't know where I should start with this, what directions to go in. Writing this out is helping me figure out my thoughts a little bit.
If anyone has any thoughts they would like to contribute I would appreciate your time, maybe this stuff will help someone else too. This would be my first attempt at starting any side hustles or businesses or anything of the sort.
i realized i have forgotten about this post haha I appreciate all the responses. i actually made another post about another idea i had just a few minutes ago

Eurojanek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 9, 2020
As a former CNC Setter/Programmer in tooling, oil&gas, car, aerospace, military and plastic moulding industries I's say 3D printing is pretty much a comodity now, and there are no chances for printed product be it plastic, metal or carbon fiber to be of decent dimensions strength, durability, repetability surface quality or cost as say moulding or milling for example. So it remains a toy for playing around, or showcasing a quick prototype mockups.
I suggest go find an entry level job anywhere within CNC substracive industry, work your way up to at least cnc operator. Should take you no more than 2-3 years if you're clever which you probably are. There you'll learn about the trade industry, talk to custommers, get to know some people and get ideas where you could find your niche.
For example: you work for mining industry, and notice some parts on baggers keep breaking and custommers always coming back for new parts. You could engineer and produce a superior product and sell to that industry. For starters outsourcing the manufacturing process, then buying machines and seting up your own shop.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.