The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tracking packages in real time

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
How much would you guys be willing to pay to be able to track packages shipped to you (through UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc) in real time? As in you open up a website and you can view exactly where your package is on a map as it's moving with the truck or if its sitting in a warehouse not moving, etc. Does around $20 or $25 sound reasonable? Should it be a little higher or lower? Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
No, I don't need to track anything that close. If I did, I wouldn't use one of the three major carriers, I would use a private service that gave me those features. I think the tracking you get with ups/FedEx is pretty ample.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
amazon already has a mobile text tracking. slick.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
No, I don't need to track anything that close. If I did, I wouldn't use one of the three major carriers, I would use a private service that gave me those features. I think the tracking you get with ups/FedEx is pretty ample.

The tracking wouldn't be tied to any of the major carriers, I just mentioned the major carriers because those are most likely who your packages will be shipped by. The tracking service itself would be private/separate and an individual company and website. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
amazon already has a mobile text tracking. slick.

Honestly I've ordered quite a few things through Amazon and their tracking seems horribly slow. I've never used the mobile text tracking but I've had packages delivered that didn't say they were delivered on Amazon tracking until several hours after the fact, that's horrible in my opinion.

Only feedback from 2 people so far but I don't see how you guys can't really see the value in being able to track your products so closely? Not only would you be able to track one product being shipped to you but all of them universally through one platform in real time (if you could afford it). It's definitely the future and I'm almost positive I've figured out a way to make it affordable and mass produce this since the technology is available and I have a manufacturer who can make this happen. Any other thoughts would be much appreciated, I know you guys are always a tough crowd lol.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I wouldn't pay anything for this feature. Not sure the major carriers would provide the data that would be necessary for the kind of true real-time tracking you seem to be describing (exact location of truck on a map, like GPS). That'd seem to be a security problem... I'd ask Joe Pesci and his hijacking crew if they'd pay for this service.

Otherwise, if you're dependent on the publicly available tracking info, it'd often be little more than Tuesday, your package is in San Diego, and Thursday, your package is in New Jersey -- two pins on a Google Map, whoopee. Not granular enough to pay for, especially if there's no guarantee of accuracy or precision.

Seems like a feature that the IT dept of any of the shippers could whip up as a free feature, if it was in demand in the first place. But since I haven't seen this feature implemented by any of the carriers, that might be a clue that there's not a demand for it, even for free. I guess the question would be: either way, true real-time or not, what problem would this really solve?

Not trying to be a downer, just throwing some ideas out there.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Not only would you be able to track one product being shipped to you but all of them universally through one platform in real time (if you could afford it). It's definitely the future and I'm almost positive I've figured out a way to make it affordable and mass produce this since the technology is available and I have a manufacturer who can make this happen. Any other thoughts would be much appreciated, I know you guys are always a tough crowd lol.

Ah, you're talking about some sort of tracking device embedded in the packaging, a sort of micro-scale version of the GPS trackers in shipping containers? Interesting, but I'm still not sure what problem this solves for the general Amazon-shopping public. Would also have same question about whether USPS/FedEx etc. would have a problem with a private company essentially installing such devices on their cargo planes (don't know, just asking)?

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Ah, you're talking about some sort of tracking device embedded in the packaging, a sort of micro-scale version of the GPS trackers in shipping containers?

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about, a disposable GPS tracker that companies would attach to the inside of their boxes/packages and activate, and then take to the major carriers to ship.

Interesting, but I'm still not sure what problem this solves for the general Amazon-shopping public. Would also have same question about whether USPS/FedEx etc. would have a problem with a private company essentially installing such devices on their cargo planes (don't know, just asking)?

Well an obvious problem that people don't know exactly when their packages will arrive, the technology I'm talking about can also estimate the time of arrival. I'm not sure about you, but when I order stuff online the day my package is supposed to come I have to wait at home so that I don't miss it. Sometimes packages have came early in the AM but usually they come between 2pm - 6pm. That's too long of a wait and if you need to leave to take care of something, well you can't because you don't know where the package is and how close it is to being delivered. If that isn't a problem for you then you're just lucky lol but I'm sure many other people have that problem. Another problem is that sometimes packages aren't delivered when they're supposed to be. I recently ordered something that was shipped through USPS, on their site it said the estimated arrival was April 22nd, well the package didn't come for literally another week and I had absolutely no indication of this except that it said that the package wasn't even in my state yet. However, I didn't know if that was because the tracking information wasn't updating fast enough or not.

No one else has these problems? Maybe I order stuff online a bit more often.

As far as security goes I've questioned that as well, but how would it be a hijacking problem? It's not like anyone else knows which packages are on the trucks and they also already have cameras, etc. It wouldn't be hard to follow a UPS truck or the mailman, in fact mailmen leave their trucks to walk around the blocks, yet no one goes to break into them. So what security threats exist? I literally can't think of any.

I don't think this feature has been implemented by any of the carriers because the tracker would have to be inserted into the package and not on the outside. So that wouldn't even really make sense for the carriers or be possible unless they rip each package open to insert the tracker which is never going to happen.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
UPS Mailbox solves the problem of not being at home. I'm an Amazon Prime customer so I've gotten to the point where the people at the mailbox see me walk in the door and they just get the package. For people like myself who are addicted to Amazon Prime (same market you're thinking of?) it's an easy existing solution.

For people with the "stuck waiting for a package at home problem", who can't or won't spend the money to get a mailbox (but who would for some reason spend the money for this proposed service) I'm not sure detailed tracking of exact location would be that helpful. Let's say the package is shown to be at your local post office by the GPS system. What information does that provide? Very little. You'd have to wait til the package is shown to be heading in your direction, maybe a few blocks away, but until then, you'd have to... sit at home waiting for the package.

I'm not sure how your GPS tracking system would provide more accurate estimate arrival time, vs. the carrier?

Only half-joking about the hijacking concern. I'd also consider what the unions at the carriers would have to say about GPS devices tracking their activity, it's a labor issue for some of them. Also would wonder about what the FAA and/or airlines would say about these, since they're not just devices receiving data but would also have to be transmitting data somehow in-flight, right?

So the customer would be the one paying for access to this tracking site? $20 an item, or some sort of subscription? You'd have to get the shipper to include this as an option I guess? Why and how would an Amazon seller (for example) offer this as an option? I can see it getting pretty hairy especially if it were based on a subscription that belonged to the ecommerce customer... And if the retailers did, they'd need to have everything in place to include your GPS devices in their packages, so you'd have to sell your system first to that side of the transaction, and build it out. Who'd finance that?

It's cool that there are technical solutions that a manufacturer is telling you they can build for you based on your idea, but I'd wonder about what their incentive would be for assuring you that it can be done?

Again, not trying to be debbie downer but just thinking out loud based on your stimulating idea.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
As a normal everyday consumer I would never need or pay for this feature.

As a business owner who gets thousands of dollars in inventory sent to me it would be handy to see where the package was percisely. For instance I was told my package should arrive through UPS on thursday I sat waiting anxiously all day.. It never came. I assumed it would arrive today.. It never came so I contacted the manufacturer who tracked the package and it is now planning to be here monday. It was a pain so in this instance I could see where this feature would be extremely useful.

However are there enough people like me to make this a viable option?

Also just because the package says its in my area by GPS doesnt mean I am on the route anytime soon so how much value does it really provide?

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
my experience has been about 30min notice, since i've been home when they have delivered. I'd think shipper tracking is pretty good for most people. I don't see the need for the ave consumer.

You may target businesses with some more high value products shipped (precious metals etc..) or perhaps human organs etc... I'd look for niches that utilize producting mailing insurance, they are willing to pay for insurance and may pay for better tracking.

Or sell it to the government, evidently they lost track of terrorists in the witness protection program.

Honestly I've ordered quite a few things through Amazon and their tracking seems horribly slow. I've never used the mobile text tracking but I've had packages delivered that didn't say they were delivered on Amazon tracking until several hours after the fact, that's horrible in my opinion.

Only feedback from 2 people so far but I don't see how you guys can't really see the value in being able to track your products so closely? Not only would you be able to track one product being shipped to you but all of them universally through one platform in real time (if you could afford it). It's definitely the future and I'm almost positive I've figured out a way to make it affordable and mass produce this since the technology is available and I have a manufacturer who can make this happen. Any other thoughts would be much appreciated, I know you guys are always a tough crowd lol.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Gold,

I think you are trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Online delivery is getting faster and faster. I get same-day delivery from Amazon for $3.99. I pay $79 a year to get free 2 day delivery. Everyone wants to pay less for goods. Who would pay $25 more? If I were going to do that I would just upgrade to next day delivery on the order.

Are you talking about $25 year for this service? I think pricing around that area may work.

"Another problem is that sometimes packages aren't delivered when they're supposed to be. I recently ordered something that was shipped through USPS, on their site it said the estimated arrival was April 22nd, well the package didn't come for literally another week and I had absolutely no indication of this except that it said that the package wasn't even in my state yet. However, I didn't know if that was because the tracking information wasn't updating fast enough or not."

So when you ordered this package, would you yourself have paid $20 extra to get realtime tracking? If so, why didn't you upgrade the shipping to 2 day delivery? Or paid more to get it from a store that would ship it Fedex or UPS instead?

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed/wanted to hear, great arguments.

You may target businesses with some more high value products shipped (precious metals etc..) or perhaps human organs etc... I'd look for niches that utilize producting mailing insurance, they are willing to pay for insurance and may pay for better tracking.

Yeah the consumer niche is just one that seemed obvious but of course there are other applications in the logistics niche. I was thinking of sea freight also but I don't know if GPS works when you are in the middle of the ocean? If anyone would weigh in on that it would be great. I'll look into niches that utilize mailing insurance, guess I'll have to ask around to see if this would be valuable to them, I'll report back with what I hear. Thanks!

KirbyRaymund

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 11, 2013
i wouldn't pay to track my packages BUT i think it's a service that couriers should offer as a default and it should be free.

however, i might consider paying for it IF the item i am paying is really valuable.

EDIT:

this might be of interest to you... i got this PR Press Release - Free GPS Vehicle and Manpower Tracking Services to Couriers and Different Businesses

the company is offering free GPS tracking devices to couriers so customers can track their packages. apparently, they are also offering it to schools so parents can track school buses especially when they are doing out of school activities.

i visited their website, looks okay... lots of feedback. ATS

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
i wouldn't pay to track my packages BUT i think it's a service that couriers should offer as a default and it should be free.

however, i might consider paying for it IF the item i am paying is really valuable.

EDIT:

this might be of interest to you... i got this PR Press Release - Free GPS Vehicle and Manpower Tracking Services to Couriers and Different Businesses

the company is offering free GPS tracking devices to couriers so customers can track their packages. apparently, they are also offering it to schools so parents can track school buses especially when they are doing out of school activities.

i visited their website, looks okay... lots of feedback. ATS

Thanks for showing me this, however their GPS tracking devices aren't free, according to their site you still have to pay for the device. My solution only charges for the device as well. Interesting read though.

HsrJames

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 29, 2009
Akron, Ohio
For a high end product it could work. Look at how many cars are bought and sold on Ebay Motors and shipped across the country. If I paid tens of thousands for a car that is coming from several states away it would be cool to see where it's at and when it would arrive. The buyer is probably anxious for the delivery. Sell the service to the car carrier companies.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I personally don't think there is a enough value to sell John Q. Public on just this alone.
For one reason, many people leave for work in the morning and know by standard tracking whether their package will be there when
they get back home in the evening,

BUT...

I do believe there might be a possible need for an App that could be downloaded onto a smartphone that would notify you that your package is on the truck for delivery that day and buzz you 1-2 hours before arrival, and again when it is dropped off, especially when no one is home. I think for some customers this could be of value so that they might have someone available to receive it or send someone over to get it. Also, for some businesses, it might allow them to logistically schedule additional help when certain products arrive.

We ship quite a few small packages daily and it always surprises me when I see customers add in 'special remarks' on the order that "Please deliver package after 4 pm" or something to that effect. Like we have control over that.

I also could see the possibility of terrorists using something that had a tracking device where they could detonate at a preset time. Not a good scenario, but plausible. Perhaps you could sell the idea to some branch of the government, though I'm sure they probably are using something like that already.

I know UPS already has a GPS tracking device on their package scanners and can check EXACTLY where their drivers are anytime on their routes. My opinion is it wouldn't take much for them to send a notification to the customer prior to arrival if they really wanted to, and the app was available...

Randall

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011

So I decided to take this guys advice and contact a few companies that sell precious metals and ask what they think about the solution. One company replied that "it would be an interesting service to provide" for their customers and that they are going to make sure that my request receives the appropriate attention.

Well... this could get interesting... just wanted to give you guys a minor update.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.