The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Total Noob -- Need some help with Blogging

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Hey guys,

I've reached a level of success in my Fastlane pursuit (cashflow rental properties) that I now feel I'd love to share my knowledge with others. I'm a Realtor as well and feel my clients/prospects would benefit from such a site and it could help grow my business. I was also inspired by @Investfourmore with his blog and overall success of his business.

I'm quite a noob when it comes to blogging though, so I'm looking for some tips. I set up a website before on WEEBLY and it was pretty simple.

A few questions:

1. What's the best website creator to build a blog on?
2. Start-up cost for building this blog?
3. Any other suggestions for just starting out?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Best blog creator is definitely Wordpress. I just checked Hostgator and you can get packages for $4 a month and the domain name is about 12$ a year if I remember correctly; so it's less than 20$ to start-up. You can start with a free theme, but I would recommend investing in a highly responsive theme, and grabbing an auto-responder like Aweber or MailCheat(Chimp) to collect email addresses. You should collect emails addresses from the start - building a list is very important - don't wait for the last second.

Kellyb

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 11, 2014
I would start with Wordpress, although I'm seeing more and more people use Square Space since it's a set it and forget it type of system.

If you go with WordPress, I recommend A Small Orange for hosting.

Cost is going to vary. Someone people spend $$$$ on a logo, web design, etc and some people bootstrap it and do it themselves and/or use Fiverr. Like Timbonitus said, your list is the most important thing you want to build so don't cheap out there.

Just be yourself. Nothing is original but your voice and your experience so share that and spend time learning the basics of SEO so you create titles that people are searching for, not just creative ones that make sense to you.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011

I agree with others that Wordpress is a great choice.

Domain - about $10/year.
Hosting - prices vary greatly, as well as the quality. Finding a good host is not easy. Good news is that for a simple blog you don't need much resources. There was a thread about hosts so you can search for it.

Another option worth considering is wordpress premium plan:
https://store.wordpress.com/plans/

That takes care of everything - domain, quality hosting and installation. Although many will say it's simple to run a self-hosted Wordpress blog, it's not THAT easy to set everything up, especially the first time around.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011

PS. Always have backups of everything. Your content is your asset. And to mention a few advantages of a self-hosted blog:

- You are in full control as to what plugins, themes and modifications you will use on your website.

- If your hosting account is ever suspended for whatever reason (and if you're wise to have a local backup of your blog), you can always easily install it to some other server.

- You can have domain registered with one company, and hosting plan with another.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Check out google webmasters on youtube to get an understanding of how google will treat you.
Then design it smart.
Correct article length, links, etc.

Dubz8Ball--Mike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
May 6, 2015
Nebraska
Hey guys,

I've reached a level of success in my Fastlane pursuit (cashflow rental properties) that I now feel I'd love to share my knowledge with others. I'm a Realtor as well and feel my clients/prospects would benefit from such a site and it could help grow my business. I was also inspired by @Investfourmore with his blog and overall success of his business.

I'm quite a noob when it comes to blogging though, so I'm looking for some tips. I set up a website before on WEEBLY and it was pretty simple.

A few questions:

Thanks!
you know i like wix also but for the same reasons you want to spend less then what is comming out. i wen to blue host for all my work. yeah its alittle hard working in wordpress but im glad im doing it becouse it will benifit me at the end

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
wel first i need a mentor and a great person to teach me, then go with my ideas. i believe in helping those that are like me right now. i will not turn my back on them. becouse it could be that person who could teach me !!!

I almost replied, but you're not OP. To this I'd say read https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/finding-a-mentor/

Then I recommend dropping drugs from your persona. Seriously. Ick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubz8Ball--Mike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
May 6, 2015
Nebraska
I almost replied, but you're not OP. To this I'd say read https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/finding-a-mentor/

Then I recommend dropping drugs from your persona. Seriously. Ick.
i dont know what gave you the idea that i do drugs.. i dont do that crap. but for you to pass that judgement on me is not cool.im sorry if maybe i gave you that thought. but i dont. all i was trying to say here is that im a total noob trying to learn his own way throuugh to put is stamp out ther like for example you did.all i was trying to say is that im not going to let another person not to struggle like i am. is the blog i wanna do...!! SORRY!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
i dont know what gave you the idea that i do drugs.. i dont do that crap. but for you to pass that judgement on me is not cool.im sorry if maybe i gave you that thought. but i dont. all i was trying to say here is that im a total noob trying to learn his own way throuugh to put is stamp out ther like for example you did.all i was trying to say is that im not going to let another person not to struggle like i am. is the blog i wanna do...!! SORRY!!!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=8+ball

I apologize. I was wrong to jump to conclusions.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
What are your goals with the blog? Personal branding?
Whats your goal with the blog?

If you just want to "blog", then check out the responses above.

If you want the blog to become a platform for a real business with real earning potential, check this out: http://www.digitalmarketer.com/6-million/

Thanks! I'm not starting the blog with "make money" in mind. I would, however, like to set my blog up from the start so that I can monetize it in the future. I started the blog to provide great content to my clients (I'm a Realtor) about investing in Real Estate, and also to force me to learn more about investing so that I can continually post more great content.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.