The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Top 3 Things Start-ups Can Learn From Justin Bieber

chaudafella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 30, 2014
1. Master Your Craft

Justin Bieber is a master at his craft. He learnt how to sing and play multiple musical instruments from a young age. Now he has been learning to act and dance — skills that have helped him with his performances. He has been putting in the hours over the years as well — remember the 10,000 hours rule?!

What can we learn from this? We need to master what is essential to the smooth running of our start-up. We should have a handle on what is essential to us. Identify what you need and check if you have those skills already. You can acquire those skills if you don’t have them already — read, network, attend seminars. Most of the learning is done by experimenting anyway on the job. Focus on mastering the essentials, but then look at expanding your skill set with secondary skill sets that can complement your start-ups.

Personally I have been focusing on mastering marketing for my ‘Tinder for Stocks’ start-up FinanceSwipe — (click here to view on app store) and reading books on the process of how to create an apple iPhone app from start to finish. If I have more time I want to start looking at learning some coding. I believe I can hire coders at the moment if I need anything developed, although I acknowledge there are benefits to knowing some basic code.

2. Experiment

Try new things! Justin Bieber experimented by making a completely different genre of music with Scrillex and Diplo (Jack U). A banger called ‘Where Are U Now.’ Justin soon began to realise the world DEMANDED what he had created, off what was originally a one off song. The result? He made a completely new album based on the sound of that song. He hired Scrillex to make most of his album and has got the whole world hooked on his new songs. He is breaking personal and world records. All because he tried something new and experimented!

Experiment. Collect Data. Make changes based on that data.

In the start-up world we should always be experimenting with new features. The easiest way to test your start-up idea without spending money is validating it. There are many articles on how to ‘validate’ your startup on a budget. I won’t go into it now.

Personally I created an app that went against this ‘validate’ advice. I had a strong belief in my idea and product. I went straight in and made my start-up FinanceSwipe. That felt like validation to my idea right there.

If it fails I have come up with Idea A, B, C and I will be doing a lot of experimenting on a low budget to see what the consumers demand on those back-up ideas. Besides I just made my first app, I will have a lot more knowledge the second time round.

3. Mistakes happen, move on

That brings me to my next point. Mistakes happen. Justin Bieber went off the rails before his record breaking new album ‘Purpose.’ We all make mistakes. In the start-up world only 1 in 10 start-ups work out. Most of the stuff that takes place in start-ups cannot be prepared for no matter how much we learn. We are going to or already have made a lot of mistakes. Take a break like Justin if you need it, but don’t give up. We shouldn’t take the ‘mistakes’ too personal, take the experience and move on.

Justin had a manager, money, connections and a fan base (even if somewhat diminished) he could fall back on. Don’t bet the house on your first idea. Make sure you have enough fire power for Plan B, C, D, because in the start-up world you are most likely going to need it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
stopped reading after the 1st line, if you think being able to play a few chords on a guitar is 'mastering your craft' you've got another thing coming.

texus2

Get Rich or Die Tryin’
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 18, 2016
Germany
I have to admit that i like the new songs from Justin Bieber "Sorry" and "Love Yourself" VERY much.
I doesn't matter how i liked him in the past, with these two songs he has a spot on my Spotify List.

It is very interested to see, how some people are taking action over time. Justin was in media since he was a child.
Now he is one of the most famous person in the world. Even if you like or don't like it, he reached his goals by the 3 things chaudafella mentioned above.

@craig1928 Being able to play a few chords an a guitar isn't "mastering your craft" at all, you're right. But playing a FEW instruments, which he can use to produce his next album or even his next idea of a song is in the end "Mastering Your Craft" i think.
Justin does, what MJ etc. says several times: Taking action!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
stopped reading after the 1st line, if you think being able to play a few chords on a guitar is 'mastering your craft' you've got another thing coming.

He can play several instruments, something you would have got (and checked) had you read past the first line. You may hate Bieber's music, but you can't deny he's one of the most successful recording "artists" of all time

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
1. Master Your Craft

Justin Bieber is a master at his craft. He learnt how to sing and play multiple musical instruments from a young age. Now he has been learning to act and dance — skills that have helped him with his performances. He has been putting in the hours over the years as well — remember the 10,000 hours rule?!

What can we learn from this? We need to master what is essential to the smooth running of our start-up. We should have a handle on what is essential to us. Identify what you need and check if you have those skills already. You can acquire those skills if you don’t have them already — read, network, attend seminars. Most of the learning is done by experimenting anyway on the job. Focus on mastering the essentials, but then look at expanding your skill set with secondary skill sets that can complement your start-ups.

Personally I have been focusing on mastering marketing for my ‘Tinder for Stocks’ start-up FinanceSwipe — (click here to view on app store) and reading books on the process of how to create an apple iPhone app from start to finish. If I have more time I want to start looking at learning some coding. I believe I can hire coders at the moment if I need anything developed, although I acknowledge there are benefits to knowing some basic code.

2. Experiment

Try new things! Justin Bieber experimented by making a completely different genre of music with Scrillex and Diplo (Jack U). A banger called ‘Where Are U Now.’ Justin soon began to realise the world DEMANDED what he had created, off what was originally a one off song. The result? He made a completely new album based on the sound of that song. He hired Scrillex to make most of his album and has got the whole world hooked on his new songs. He is breaking personal and world records. All because he tried something new and experimented!

Experiment. Collect Data. Make changes based on that data.

In the start-up world we should always be experimenting with new features. The easiest way to test your start-up idea without spending money is validating it. There are many articles on how to ‘validate’ your startup on a budget. I won’t go into it now.

Personally I created an app that went against this ‘validate’ advice. I had a strong belief in my idea and product. I went straight in and made my start-up FinanceSwipe. That felt like validation to my idea right there.

If it fails I have come up with Idea A, B, C and I will be doing a lot of experimenting on a low budget to see what the consumers demand on those back-up ideas. Besides I just made my first app, I will have a lot more knowledge the second time round.

3. Mistakes happen, move on

That brings me to my next point. Mistakes happen. Justin Bieber went off the rails before his record breaking new album ‘Purpose.’ We all make mistakes. In the start-up world only 1 in 10 start-ups work out. Most of the stuff that takes place in start-ups cannot be prepared for no matter how much we learn. We are going to or already have made a lot of mistakes. Take a break like Justin if you need it, but don’t give up. We shouldn’t take the ‘mistakes’ too personal, take the experience and move on.

Justin had a manager, money, connections and a fan base (even if somewhat diminished) he could fall back on. Don’t bet the house on your first idea. Make sure you have enough fire power for Plan B, C, D, because in the start-up world you are most likely going to need it.

Brilliant post; I've taken so much from this, including the title of your post; absolute genius, it sucked me right in and the way you've written the post is excellent and has made me want to read more of your copy and of course, check out your app.

Nice one dude :D

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
He can play several instruments, something you would have got (and checked) had you read past the first line. You may hate Bieber's music, but you can't deny he's one of the most successful recording "artists" of all time

I think the problem here is that actual music plays a minor role in his success

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
His music is pretty good.

fair enough! the market decides at the end of the day.

but you can't deny that a large part of his appeal is that he's marketable to hormonal teenagers rather than what he does.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
I think the problem here is that actual music plays a minor role in his success

You are in danger of thinking like the masses, talking about how "lucky" people are to be incredibly successful. As I said before, you may not be a Belieber, but the fact is, he is where he is because of talent and hard work. I'm not a fan, but I can recognise that.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
well go find a good looking young guy. Teach him a few chords and make your millions if its that easy. I look forward to the success thread.
fair enough! the market decides at the end of the day.

but you can't deny that a large part of his appeal is that he's marketable to hormonal teenagers rather than what he does.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
You are in danger of thinking like the masses, talking about how "lucky" people are to be incredibly successful. As I said before, you may not be a Belieber, but the fact is, he is where he is because of talent and hard work. I'm not a fan, but I can recognise that.

Do you think if he was ugly he'd be where he is?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

how is that relevant? Everyone plays on their natural abilities. Why should looks be any different?

Would you criticize people who get rich because they're smart by saying "do you think they would be where they are if they were stupid?"

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Justin Bieber worked his a$$ off to be where he is now. He does an incredible job at marketing him and his music, creating the "Beliebers" thing is a genius marketing thing. Like most musicians he's polarizing, so either you love him or you hate him. But no matter what you do, as an entrepreneur you gotta respect his work and see that he deserves to be where he is.

Kelly C

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 20, 2014
UK
Have you seen his movie? I think it's the never say never one. A lot of footage of him playing in his youth. He was very talented at a young age.

That doesn't mean he would get anywhere though.

I agree..this isn't about his music. Because you can have great music - but if you don't have a great marketing plan it isn't going to see the light of day. Poor music and great marketing will fair much better...than great music and crap marketing. It is unfortunately the sad truth.

That doesn't take away from Jb - obviously have to work your arse off to make it work.

no point arguing if you're gonna be jelly.

Just look at Ed Sheeran..... hehe

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Good tips.

I used to hate the douche bag too.... but I like the go love yourself track :) A lot of people need to go love themselves.

Tip to OP: if your app works as described then get 5-10 influencers to review your app and recommend it. That will get you in news papers, news blogs etc. and the rest will be history.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015

No I don't and it's a fair point, but I do believe that he'd still be successful because he's dedicated to his task, he just wouldn't have so many teenage girls after him.

To reduce his success purely down to his looks is slowlane thinking...

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Justin Bieber is basically a cash cow for Jigga's label.

BUT, all hate aside, he does have talent and actually self-taught himself multiple instruments. He's definitely worked harder than most. Being a performer is a lot more time-consuming and challenging than you'd think.

P.S. as a Canadian I apologize for Biebs :(

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
I used to hate Bieber and his music when he first started out. But since he dropped his new album, he has really matured as an artist and I'm kind of a fan of him now. And saying he is only famous because of his good looks is very arrogant and stupid.

Not everyone can do what he does and has done even with "good looks". A lot of people used to despise him almost 2 years ago, including his fans, but he made an awesome comeback and has gained a lot of new ones.

You don't have to like his music, but at least give credit when credit is due. He deserves all of what he has got, he worked his a$$ off to be where he is today. Never thought I would be defending Justin Bieber, but hey, people change man.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
I used to hate Bieber and his music when he first started out. But since he dropped his new album, he has really matured as an artist and I'm kind of a fan of him now. And saying he is only famous because of his good looks is very arrogant and stupid.

Not everyone can do what he does and has done even with "good looks". A lot of people used to despise him almost 2 years ago, including his fans, but he made an awesome comeback and has gained a lot of new ones.

You don't have to like his music, but at least give credit when credit is due. He deserves all of what he has got, he worked his a$$ off to be where he is today. Never thought I would be defending Justin Bieber, but hey, people change man.

Agree 100%

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Justin Bieber is basically a cash cow for Jigga's label.
P.S. as a Canadian I apologize for Biebs :(

Haha, hey, you gave us Trailer Park Boys so you know, ups and downs :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.