The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To much learning a bad thing?

A

Anon3587x

Exactly as the title states. .. does to much learning turn into a bad thing?

When it came to advertising I naturally did a few things without even knowing I had to do it. This was when I was new to the game promoting a few things without any clue of what I was doing.

Now I'm a little more experienced in the trade, I've read a few books & all those things that came out natural and excellent before now seem complicated. Now I just can't "do it" because I'm thinking of all the ins and outs I learned.

Instead of writing the book as I was... I now have to fight this urge to follow directions to a sense.

Is it better to leave our minds blank, fresh and allow experience to do the rest?

When it comes to gathering knowledge, when is enough enough?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I think a lot of what you read in non fiction is written step by step, black and white. Do number 1 and letter A will be the result. However, if you live life you find that the cause and effect is not always true 100% of the time.

When you read these books you are trying to gain knowledge to use as a tool when it is the correct time to use it. I don't think you can learn too much but you can rely only on the book knowledge too much. Just like football, no matter who is favored or by how much, you still have to play the game.

Read and learn but don't take it in as so absolute, black and white. I wish you well.

exon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 29, 2009
Croatia
Very interesting question bat. After 300+ books, lots of seminars and other learning materials, I can only say that I have just from a few books/sources got the pieces that I've used in real life. I think that we should use just what make sense to us. I think that main point of learning is to get perspective, to learn about options we have. But, too many choices leads to sure procrastination.

On the other hand, these little bits that I've used have made wonders.

Through the years I have found a way of learning that suits me the best - mind map.

Before I was addicted to learning and books and I read everything I'd found. Today I'm learning just what I need. For example, if I need to write sales text - I read all about copy writing and make notes about things that make sense to me.

Is it better to leave our minds blank, fresh and allow experience to do the rest?
I'm not sure about this, depends what you're doing and what you want to achieve. Personally I do not think that it is possible to achieve any bigger goal with a blank mind.

When it comes to gathering knowledge, when is enough enough?
For this I am sure: It is never enough. What you know today is not enough to be successful tomorrow.

account1234

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 30, 2010
For making a quick buck, then "too much book-learnin'" is not a great thing -- it's better just to get out there and exploit the "target market". To become a rounded, sympathetic, interesting human being, however, education is a wonderful thing.

I'd rather be educated and broke than rich and vacuous. (Maybe I'm just saying that because I am educated and broke though. :D)

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
It sounds like you're at a good place to me! After gaining knowledge, it needs to have time and chances to be used, so the steps can be stripped away, and the essence retained. What you know is only holding you back at the moment, because it hasn't become part of you yet.

This is what it means to transform knowledge into skill.

John Rogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 29, 2010
Washington State, USA
Doing is an element of the learning process. Reading, theorizing, and not acting is pointless. Reading, implementing and analyzing the results is learning. It should be a never ending process. Even taking note that something done in a certain fashion today doesn't yield the same results that the same actions yielded five years ago is learning.

I read the digital version of The Millionaire Fastlane in about a week. Now I'm going get the bound version and read it again with highlighter and pen in hand. Does that mean I'm not already taking action on what I picked up during the first read? Not at all.

Have a plan, and learn the things that will best advance you towards your goals. Balance taking in information with implementation.

John

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Balance is the key. I mentioned this in another post. Like someone else mentioned above. You need to put into action what your learning and know when the right time is to put it into action. Knowledge without action is useless. Find the balance that works for you and then run with it. I use this in all aspects of my life. Learning is a never ending experience for me and I hope it never stops because then I think I would be bored !!!!!

If the old saying that we only use 10% of our brains holds true then you have plenty of room left as do I..........Well I'd like to think I'm at about 25 to 30% brain usage at this point in my life. lol Still plenty of room left

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.