The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Returns to Entrepreneurship

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I just found a great article about differences between older business and newer business model explaining why younger and younger people are making bigger and better businesses that people in the past. This is not to offend anyone, just to show the difference:

The returns to entrepreneurship « Startup Boy

Just give this a read:
I was at dinner the other night with a group of entrepreneurs. One told the story of a 27-year-old whiz kid whose company will likely exit for $500M – $1B – the business now being less than two years old. You can imagine the effect that this had on the brilliant, hardworking 35+ entrepreneurs in the group, who have had their share of hits, but not at that magnitude and not that quickly.
These stories are getting more commonplace. It seems that the entrepreneurs who “hit†these days are doing it more quickly, making more money, and doing it at a younger age. Back in the 70s, it took a decade plus to build a company and $10M, even in today’s dollars, was a big victory for an individual. Up until the late 90s dot-com boom, even though these stories existed, they were less common and took longer.
The storyteller explained that this 27-year-old is more brilliant and more hard-working than the previous entrepreneurs he’s seen.
That can’t be it. There are only so many hours in the day, and the entrepreneurs of yesteryear worked just as hard as the entrepreneurs of today. And the ones who came before were just as brilliant. Human intelligence has not evolved that dramatically in 10-20 years.
Rather, I posit that the amount of leverage available to a modern Internet entrepreneur is far, far greater than was available to entrepreneurs of previous generations. The number of entrants has dramatically increased as well. The overall hit rate might be lower, but the ones who win, win bigger and faster thanks to the leverage.
Gone are server farms, telesales and support, marcom material, tradeshow booths, direct sales forces, licensed software, mountains of code, reseller agreements, plane tickets, hotel rooms, printing CDs, voicemail systems, and so on and so forth.
Modern Internet entrepreneurship starts with a few engineers working for nothing and carrying latops and cellphones. They coordinate with Skype and GTalk and wikis and bug tracking sytems. The company itself is snapped together with outsourced HR, cookie-cutter incorporation, and outsourced finance / payroll. Marketing is done virally, or through SEO, or SEM. Customer service is handled via the community and forums. PR and outreach through tweets and blogging. Payments come via Paypal. Ads are served up by third-party ad networks. Storage goes on Amazon. Computation scales via Amazon, Softlayer or Rackspace. Code is built upon stacks of open source, SaaS, and $10/month services.
What used to cost $1M-$2M to set up, now costs $10K. What used to cost $5M to build, now costs $250K. What used to cost $20M to go to market now costs $1M.
But the upside hasn’t gone down. It has gone *up.* The 3 billionth person will be online shortly. They can all use the product. Network effects are stronger than ever, and some businesses become natural monopolies very quickly. Most web products have no marginal cost of replication, so adding a new customer is pure profit.
Less labor required. Less capital required. Less cost to scale. Larger markets. Cheaper marketing. No cost to ship more product.
No, people aren’t getting any smarter or harder-working. But the amount of leverage is obscene. The hits – Yahoo!, EBay, Google, Skype, MySpace, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Zynga, are each arriving faster than the previous one did. And the leverage is increasing, not decreasing.
The returns to scale for being smart, young, skilled, and high-energy have gone up tremendously, and that has profound implications for society. The smart are getting richer.
Update: An insightful comment on Hacker News: Basically, the Internet is a wide and deep place. The depth creates a few huge winners and the breadth creates a large number of small winners (who would have been losers in the old system, but due to the above-mentioned low costs, can still win). What’s missing is the traditionally fat middle. We’ve gone from a normally distributed set of outcomes, to a power-law distribution. The median is a small fraction of the mean. This is bad news for anyone who has built their business predicated on their achieving mean outcomes. That includes mid-stage VC funds, moderately-capitalized companies (traditionally speaking), and societies that care about “equalâ outcomes.

Discuss!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
I think the article nailed the main point right on the head - leverage. Everyone should feel like they hit the jackpot due to us living in the age of the internet. Entrepreneurs in the past did not have the ability to leverage their businesses via the internet like we do. Granted, they had Television and Radio to advertise etc, however, I don't think anyone here will dispute the edge we have at our fingertips nowadays.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great article; this is why I favor the internet over any other "systemizable" investment/business. These conditions won't last forever.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I feel lucky now that I was born in this era. I just have to learn a lot and work real hard to achieve success! Internet is my platform for business and I honestly believe that everything will be internet-ized in the future. Esp with mobile devices which will be as powerfull as PCs and other appliances being connected to internet 24/7. This is too big of a chance to miss out on...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Just wanted to bump this thread because the company mentioned in the article was never revealed.
I almost sure they were talking about AdMob, a company started by Syrian entrepreneur Omar Hamoui in 2006 with $2000 and sold for Google this month for a whooping $750 million!!!!
What I found interesting was that the company announced that it would soon reach $100 million in revenues. Now assuming profits are $50 million (extreme case, highly unlikely), that leaves us with a valuation worth 15 times annual profits, for a very young company!
Why do you think Google paid that much for the business? Would you say it was a strategical valuation considering the business is operating in a very high-growth segment?

Well, congratulations for Mr. Hamoui for becoming FILTHY rich in such a short time!

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
LaughedAt. Innovation is rarely developed by companies like Google instead it is bought and then leveraged within its current platform. They paid that high a multiple for a few reasons, one they see the future potential in the model and would rather buy it then copy it, two they know others were interested in it and wanted to offer a high enough price to prevent counter/hostile bids, three they see that the market is willing to pay 36x their current profit so if they can make an purchase for less then that then it is worth it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.