The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Making of the Wealthiest Family in the World

mmtprofile

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 21, 2011
I've been reading the biography of Sam Walton for the past month. I got it for Christmas from my girlfriend and I have been loving it.

There are a few key lessons that I've taken from it so far.

1. Admit you're wrong. When you are wrong, accept it immediately and turn the other direction.

2. Study what works. It doesn't matter what business you're in, look at your competitors and tweak your business to use the most efficient and effective systems they use. Sam would fly a plane over cities and look for full parking lots. Once he found them, he would land the plane and go watch what was working inside to bring customers in.

3.Hire great talent. Always hire people who are better than you at their tasks.

4. Play. The retail business was play to Sam. He wasn't motivated by fancy cars or houses. He simply got up every morning with the drive to make improvements. If your play also includes cars and houses, get them. But make sure that you play in business and life, not work.

5. Go all in/ Play to Win. When he started the Walmart brand in his early 40's (I do not pay attention to details such as age unless necessary) he put 100% of his time, energy and resources into it. It was a calculated risk but he played to win.

What do you think?

Do you have any Walmart lessons? (And I don't mean "the people of Walmart" stories. Keep it to the business)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Which biography are you reading? I'm reading the "Made in America" Sam Walton autobiography right now. Great book, written in sort of a "folksy" manner that makes it seem like he is speaking directly to the reader - lines similar to "remember earlier I told you about X, well here's another example of that" etc.

Things taught in the book so far have been: Have a passion for what you do, be frugal, take calculated risks and have growth on your mind. He worked extremely hard and demanded that his team members did the same. He would fly his own plane above prospective store sites; his being a pilot also enabled him to visit many Wal-Marts in 1 day. Love what you do. He loved merchandising and retailing and would always be visiting "competing" stores on family trips, and everywhere he went.

SitesForSales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 20, 2012
... He would fly his own plane above prospective store sites; ...

Kinda like Ray Krock .... but he was looking for churches ... which meant guaranteed traffic on Sundays at 12:01 lol

@ all: Let's not forget that The Rockefellers, Rothchilds, Morgans, Warburgs all have their diversified wealth
so spread out as a hedge against taxation and anti-monopoly issues that probably nobody really knows what
they are worth, so I would say that they may be "richer" than The Walton's lol

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
In a little graveyard about a half mile from Wal-Mart's corner office sits an nondescript and unremarkable headstone. It marks the final resting place for Sam Walton. If you ever have occasion to get to Bentonville, Arkansas... it's worth checking out.

walton.jpg

It's such a great reminder as to how fast life moves, and in the end to keep first the things that are the most important.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SitesForSales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 20, 2012
In a little graveyard about a half mile from Wal-Mart's corner office sits an nondescript and unremarkable headstone. It marks the final resting place for Sam Walton. If you ever have occasion to get to Bentonville, Arkansas... it's worth checking out.

2814-making-wealthiest-family-world-walton.jpg

It's such a great reminder as to how fast life moves, and in the end to keep first the things that are the most important.

Thank-you - it puts many things in perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.