The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The importance of Integrity

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific
The last several days have been fairly busy, though yesterday tops them by far. This is more of a reminder/encouragement to those who struggle with taking the high road.

I work in a facility that is a secure off-site command center for a large corporate entity. The facility houses 7 desks and and as such I have had as many as all of them filled while on duty (I wear several hats at work). It has been frustrating as for over a year now I have been a contractor and though the flexibility is great the benefits are less than stellar.

The only complaint I had was seeing Hired on employees being less than honest with their time and seeming to just drift by with all the benefits of permanent employment. Its a struggle, at least for me, to get up fairly early and put a 14 hour day in (including travel) and what really stinks about the situation is my current boss basically said if it were up to them I would already be hired on. Though I had determined months ago my reason for even being in that position had little to do with the money but more to do with my plan and education. It felt like punishment for being honest and doing the right thing. Even my father was urging me to get a different job almost ridiculing me for stying there. Ever been there?

Yesterday I started work as any normal day though it would turn out to be far from that. an hour after starting the night shift supervisor (this was 7:30 AM an hour after his shift) walks in and says "We're going to be moving to corporate." Something the higher ups had been working on sense I had gotten there. Then another Supervisor from a different shift comes in and starts packing with the other. Everyone was in a hushed tone and my supervisor said, "Put yourself in meeting status". As he was saying that a broadcast message went out stating, "Do not reset passwords for ..." an unusually long list of employees.

After looking at the list my heart sank as it was every one of my coworkers in that facility. It was very unsettling as I didn't want to be next but then my supervisor broke the news. HR had just completed a time clock audit corporate wide and found numerous discrepancies with several employees and as such nearly everyone in my facility was terminated for falsifying time stamps. Those left were being moved to corporate except me. I was to stay as the only one left to maintain the facility as well as my other duties. The division manager wanted to reassure me how pleased they were of my service and that I wasn't getting fired as well. Needless to say I was relieved at that. She also wanted to let me know it doesn't go unnoticed and that basically I would be the facility manager along with the rest of my work (little change in position just a nice hours change). I'm still not hired on, but I still have my job.

It feels strange that though glad to still have my job I still consider those I worked with as friends and feel sorry for their loss. This had been going on for over a year and some of those terminated had been with the company for over 10 years.

I just want to encourage those of you who are struggling to do the right thing whether it be at your job or your business and seem to get punished for it. It does not go unnoticed and you are not alone. Corporations speak with policy enforcement but Customers speak with their wallets. I for one would do business even at a higher personal cost if I know that that owner/employee has integrity and can be trusted. I thank you for your integrity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Seems to me that the management at this company did not do their jobs well at all. All the people should be trained and mentored in their positions. There should have been negative repercussions and performance feedback all along. Putting a lot of time into developing employees just to dump them does not make any sense.

It could be that they were just looking for excuses to fire people for workforce balancing. Firing means no unemployment.

Sloppy... :nono:

Congratulations to you for your hard work though. It is nice to be noticed when you are doing the honorable thing around a den of thiefs.

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific
I agree it is kind of a sloppy mess but this is a very large company and one of the benefits of being out in nowheresville is that you tend to be a little forgotten/have more freedom. I had brought this up several times to management but as it stood it was a cost difference calculation having some rather unmonitored employees in an off-site facility saved hundreds of thousands of dollars as It being security level 4 requires high level remote servalance 60 second security response time as well as 24/7 maning of the facility. Someone had to pull a lot of strings to get corporate policy to lossen up as nights and weekend from now on are unmanned. Risky if you consider several hundred million dollars worth of equipment in a very small area. As it goes for workers though out of sight out of mind.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Banthaman, I think it is time to leave this company and get something else. What else is there for you? Are you just hanging to a promise that probably will never be met? Are you just hoping? What else is there for you to learn?

I like a lot what you posted: Corporations speak with policy enforcement but Customers speak with their wallets.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
My dad reminds me of this story often. It's the reason he started his own business about 10 years ago now.

He worked for a machine tool company for many, many years all the while the owner promised him that his day would come, that he would take part ownership in the compnany if he worked hard and was loyal.

Well he did that... year... after year... after year... and finally when he had doubled the size of the company, they were making profits bigger than ever it was his turn to be promoted and get partial ownership. The answer was "NO"

Now he owns his own machine tooling business in direct competition with the one he used to work for, successfully taking in a little under a million the last two years by himself!

My point is if you are such a hard worked like you say, go open your own business, imagine where you would be working 14 hours a day for yourself instead of 14 hours a day for those clowns! You deserve better.

... by the way I agree, honest people are the ones that get to the top and STAY THERE!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.