The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The depressing story of Ronald Wayne

Anything related to matters of the mind

Davel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 5, 2016
Phoenix
I just found out about this guy recently, and his story is interesting, although it got me pretty bummed out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Wayne

Summary for those who don't want to read the wiki entry:

-He co-founded Apple with Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak
-In the company's first year, he sold his 10% share for $800. That 10% today is worth about $58 billion.
-In the nineties he sold the paper he and the 2 Steves had signed as their contract, for $500. That contract later sold at auction for over $1 million.
-Started up a few businesses later that didn't really go anywhere.

He said in an interview that he realized that he "had no business being in business."

He seems generally content with his life, and says he doesn't regret leaving Apple when he did, and I hope he truly feels that way. I know I'd have a really hard time with that.

Really no questions to go along with this, just thought it'd be an interesting post to share.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I recall seeing a short interview with him some years ago. He said that he wasn't really too bothered by leaving Apple, because if he had stayed than he would have been "The richest man in the cemetery."

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
He seems generally content with his life, and says he doesn't regret leaving Apple when he did, and I hope he truly feels that way. I know I'd have a really hard time with that.

Some people don't perceive money as wealth but how much they impacted the world. Without a doubt because of Ronald's participation in the beginning of apple allowed it become the company we know it to be today. That knowledge might be enough for him, and it might not be enough for you. People are different in all different ways, and some just have no desire for money.

So here's my question for you, why are you investing your time wondering about this guy who could've been a billionaire rather doing something for yourself and growing your skills to allow yourself to become a millionaire or even a billionaire or whatever figure will make you contempt with your life.

Davel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 5, 2016
Phoenix
I recall seeing a short interview with him some years ago. He said that he wasn't really too bothered by leaving Apple, because if he had stayed than he would have been "The richest man in the cemetery."

Yeah he was a good deal older than Jobs and Wozniak I believe. Said he just couldn't keep up with their energy levels on a daily basis.

Davel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 5, 2016
Phoenix
Some people don't perceive money as wealth but how much they impacted the world. Without a doubt because of Ronald's participation in the beginning of apple allowed it become the company we know it to be today. That knowledge might be enough for him, and it might not be enough for you. People are different in all different ways, and some just have no desire for money.

So here's my question for you, why are you investing your time wondering about this guy who could've been a billionaire rather doing something for yourself and growing your skills to allow yourself to become a millionaire or even a billionaire or whatever figure will make you contempt with your life.

Of course, there's no blame coming from me. He was clearly a very smart man. There was obviously no way to know what Apple would become at that point, and he made the best choice for him.

Hindsight being 20/20 though, you can't help but think there's occasionally going to be that feeling of "damn, missed out on that one."

To answer your question, I'm "investing my time" in this because I do actually tend to have some free time every once in a while, and I enjoy reading things like this and thought it would be interesting for others on here to read as well.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
To answer your question, I'm "investing my time" in this because I do actually tend to have some free time every once in a while, and I enjoy reading things like this and thought it would be interesting for others on here to read as well.

It is interesting, its a good reminder that money isn't the most important thing. Some of the happiest people I know live in a trailer and just go to a 9-5 job. Some people are just contempt and others like ourselves on this forum strives for more.

Davel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 5, 2016
Phoenix
It is interesting, its a good reminder that money isn't the most important thing. Some of the happiest people I know live in a trailer and just go to a 9-5 job. Some people are just contempt and others like ourselves on this forum strives for more.

Most definitely. My parents perfectly embodied the 9-5 life (retired now). While I realized early on that I wouldn't enjoy that type of life, they were great examples of people that loved it, as well as the routine/comfort it provided.

And I think the word you're looking for is "content".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.