The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The best online classifieds website?

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
Vancouver (Burnaby) Canada
Now i'm not going to tell you what the best online classifieds website is. i'm merely asking for opinions about what you think the best classifieds site is. preferrably with a description as to why you feel its the best classifieds site.

recap: the best overall online classifieds site under your personal preference.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sting3r

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
May 22, 2008
I dont really use classified add sites, but gumtree is pretty good

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
craigslist definitely wins when it comes to content. and kijiji? really now. you know it probably depends what city you reside in. cause some of these sites dominate in different cities.

downfall to craigslist in vancouver is a lot of the ads are unreliable (scams, crap content, etc)

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
Ah. I didn't realize you were asking for the most popular...I thought you wanted the best...

Overseas, Kijiji is actually the most popular too...just not in the U.S. And in my opinion that's because Kijiji wasn't available in the U.S. for many years because their parent company was 25% owner of Craigslist...
oh yeah i am talking about the best classifieds site in your opinion. so based on your opinion what the best classifieds site would be. kijiji isn't bad, however i still prefer craigslist, at least in vancouver. what i find is that the best will usually go to the one with the most content, not necessarily best design, best features, etc. just like if kijiji had more content than craigslist, then kijiji would most likely be preferred among the population.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I hate craigslist, from my experiance trying to sell a computer, paintball gun, and fill some rentals its full of weird people who crawl out of there parents basements. I gave up after the computer, which I sold to a normal lady and as we were meeting she said the same thing! She is like your the first normal person I have delt with on craigslist.

Now I just stay away from it.

The only online classified site I use all the time is Autotrader, which is fantastic. I use Amazon as well, and I guess part of Amazon is a classified. I know they have private people try to sell new and used stuff.

For my classified needs I go to the good old local paper, The Bargin News, $1.75 and it comes out every thursday. I find the best stuff in that paper.

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
yeah it seems to be a common problem with craigslist lately. in some cities it's becoming flag central, where people are just abusing the services. very interesting though that you say you turn to the newspaper. haven't heard that one in a while.

juntao65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 2, 2009
I hate craigslist, from my experiance trying to sell a computer, paintball gun, and fill some rentals its full of weird people who crawl out of there parents basements. I gave up after the computer, which I sold to a normal lady and as we were meeting she said the same thing! She is like your the first normal person I have delt with on craigslist.

Now I just stay away from it.

The only online classified site I use all the time is Autotrader, which is fantastic. I use Amazon as well, and I guess part of Amazon is a classified. I know they have private people try to sell new and used stuff.

For my classified needs I go to the good old local paper, The Bargin News, $1.75 and it comes out every thursday. I find the best stuff in that paper.

Does it really matter who you're selling to?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
craigslist definitely wins when it comes to content. and kijiji? really now. you know it probably depends what city you reside in. cause some of these sites dominate in different cities.

downfall to craigslist in vancouver is a lot of the ads are unreliable (scams, crap content, etc)

How do you define best? Are you talking about functionality? reach? ease of use? search capabilities?

Trinity213

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 9, 2009
Listasaurus.com is definitely the best online classifieds website. Not only is it free to list, they PAY YOU to list your ads, and they offer video classifieds and video auctions. It doesn't get any better than that!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Listasaurus.com is definitely the best online classifieds website. Not only is it free to list, they PAY YOU to list your ads, and they offer video classifieds and video auctions. It doesn't get any better than that!
by "they" you mean you, right? It is ok to do some self promotion once you are part of the community, but your first post doing self-promotion? that's how you get banned from this forum...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Listasaurus.com is definitely the best online classifieds website.

LOL,

I just went there and it's hard to navigate, the search sucks, the have about 15 listings... definitely the best classifieds HAHA.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Does it really matter who you're selling to?

Yes I don't like talking to, having said people come over my house to view said item, or dealing with such people. They are also extremly unreliable and waste my time making stupid offers. I had people call me when I was selling my old paintball gun, "Umm will you take $70 for the paintball gun this week and the other $80 next?" I'm like WTF its a $150 toy, what do I look like a damn layaway program? Don't waste my time, click.

I'm the kind of person that would buy a dumpster to get rid of all the crap I don't want, before having a tag sale. (that I can't give away to friends or donate to Goodwill)

I have found Ebay to be a great way to get rid of junk sub $1k cars. You can filter the morons with a click, and from my experiance only the serious people seem to take the time to come and see it, and they don't waste my time.

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
the site's ok, not too much content. i bet you work for them =P keep on truckin my friend.

Trinity213

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 9, 2009
Wow, I'm so sorry I pushed your buttons! I was simply replying to a direct question. I use Listasaurus.com on a regular basis, and, no, I'm not the owner, just a satisfied customer. And as far as your criticism is concerned, you are awfully accusatory and uptight. I hope your comments aren't representative of the entire site, because if they are, I will gladly vacate.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Wow, I'm so sorry I pushed your buttons! I was simply replying to a direct question. I use Listasaurus.com on a regular basis, and, no, I'm not the owner, just a satisfied customer. And as far as your criticism is concerned, you are awfully accusatory and uptight. I hope your comments aren't representative of the entire site, because if they are, I will gladly vacate.

I apologize for accusing you of self-promotion, given that is not the case based on your statement.

We do take spamming seriously here, as you can tell.

We want a community of people giving to the community, in a positive and constructive way.

when we see somebody that shows up, no introduction, no previous post, and the first thing he/she does is to recommend a site we haven't heard of, we obviously become suspicious.

Welcome to the forum, please post a thread in the intro section, and let us know more about you.

Although, I agree with Biophase, I wasn't that excited about that site's navigation, and it has too few listings... what do you like about it?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Gee really??? Let's see what other posts you've made on other forums:

Absolutely!! Video classifieds are the latest, greatest technology to evolve in the classifieds scene. And one free online classifieds site that is on the cutting edge with video classifieds is Listasaurus.com. They also offer video auctions, and they do something no other classifieds site does: They PAY YOU to list your ads, up to 25 cents per ad for eligible ads up to 50 per month! And, unlike other video classifieds sites, you are not required to post a video with your ad if you don't want to, it's your choice.

or how about...

Hello, everyone!
I'm new here on Pheebay, and since we all have something in common, I wanted to share a site with all of you that you have to check out. It's ww.l istas aurus .com and they have free classifieds, video classifieds, free auctions, video auctions, and they pay 25 cents per ad for certain ads that qualify. Registration is free, too. Try it, you'll like it! Sure beats the heck out of paying fees to list your auctions!!
http:/ww.list asaur us.com

Please vacate

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I'll second what some have said about Craigslist... I don't know why it appeals to the absolute Dregs of society, but it seems to. I just sold my kids toddler beds on there -- $450 beds, 2 of them... And I listed them for $80 bucks each just to get rid of them (I almost donated them to charity just to be hauled off)... And I got so many calls from people asking me if I'd take less.... And I was on the phone saying, "Look Jackass, I think that my price is pretty damn good where it's at... You're my 50th call, it's 1st come 1st serve -- if you want them, get over here with your $80 or $160 now..."

I sold them in about 5 hours, and then the guy who showed up wrote me a check... (WTF is that about!?! Don't people know that when you are dealing with strangers, you pay CASH!) -- So I accepted it because I figured, if this guy is going to write a hot check for 2 toddler beds... His kids need beds a hell of a lot more than I need the $160 bucks.... But then he asked me if he could post-date the check for the 1st of the month!!! hahaha.... I let him and it all worked out, but this is a perfect example of how every transaction is on Craigslist....

ROFL

- Hakrjak

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
I'll second what some have said about Craigslist... I don't know why it appeals to the absolute Dregs of society, but it seems to. I just sold my kids toddler beds on there -- $450 beds, 2 of them... And I listed them for $80 bucks each just to get rid of them (I almost donated them to charity just to be hauled off)... And I got so many calls from people asking me if I'd take less.... And I was on the phone saying, "Look Jackass, I think that my price is pretty damn good where it's at... You're my 50th call, it's 1st come 1st serve -- if you want them, get over here with your $80 or $160 now..."

I sold them in about 5 hours, and then the guy who showed up wrote me a check... (WTF is that about!?! Don't people know that when you are dealing with strangers, you pay CASH!) -- So I accepted it because I figured, if this guy is going to write a hot check for 2 toddler beds... His kids need beds a hell of a lot more than I need the $160 bucks.... But then he asked me if he could post-date the check for the 1st of the month!!! hahaha.... I let him and it all worked out, but this is a perfect example of how every transaction is on Craigslist....

ROFL

- Hakrjak

LOL. that's classic ghetto classifieds for you. thanks for sharing that story. i think the truth is about online classifieds is - if you can find a buyer, then it's a good classifieds service.

content is definitely king when it comes to online classifieds. even though craigslist isn't exceptional or great when it comes to design or features, they still did manage to find you a buyer and that's what matters most with classifieds. my opinion.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008

ROFL

- Hakrjak

Thats my experiance. Next time just donate them for the tax write off.

I'm starting to think only broke bums shop on craigslist because they can't afford to shop at Walmart.

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
i have a feeling craigslist may be going down soon. the users are just so annoying with their trigger happy fingers flagging everything. maybe opportunities will start opening up for the people that enjoy online classifieds, but want better quality users/content on the site.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

ROFL

- Hakrjak

CL is ghetto. I put an ad up at 12am and got my first call at 12:15am, and bunch more until 1am. Seriously, people think they can call you at all times. I turned off my phone and turned it back on in the morning and had 17 voice mails.

The good thing about CL is that you get so many calls you can dictate your demands. Forget catering to them, tell them the rules and let them conform.

For me its cash, show up at 8am tomorrow, full price.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I agree CL has it's problems. However, I would rather take advantage of them. The kid wanted a drum set for her BD. I got my cash and we loaded up in the truck with the laptop. We were able to spend the day shopping from house to house and got a smokin deal on some nice drums. The guy even showed s how to take them apart, protect and reassemble them. I wouldn't even think of rolling to shop CL without cash.

Ron Solo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 4, 2009
I agree CL has it's problems. However, I would rather take advantage of them. The kid wanted a drum set for her BD. I got my cash and we loaded up in the truck with the laptop. We were able to spend the day shopping from house to house and got a smokin deal on some nice drums. The guy even showed s how to take them apart, protect and reassemble them. I wouldn't even think of rolling to shop CL without cash.
yeah that's my point. the benefits of using craigslist right now just outweight the inconveniences heavily. imo content is definitely king in this world of business.

santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 20, 2007
I think you guys are too harsh on craigslist or perhaps it depends on what you are selling. In the past week..I have..

1. Listed a rental property (vacation rentals) and received about 10 quality leads and 2 weeks booked (with credit cards)

2. I bought an infomercial product (P90X) from a decent seller, gave me a bill of sale and everything..brand new in package for less than half of retail.

3. Sold baby furniture to a new mom, she showed up, I helped her load it up and then received cash..within 1 day of listing.

I think in many respects, like ebay, you have to go into transacation with your eyes open, but if you need something you can find it..if you have something to sell, you can find a willing buyer.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Maybe there are significant regional differences in CL quality?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.