The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking the Erotica Leap

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
The hot... male, librarian? lol, now there's a twist. :) I can't imagine writing without having a general idea of where I wanted the story to go. I like to write an outline and then let the characters decide how they get there. The events in the outline give me something to look forward to writing. I like to think of it as a cruise - I know the ports-of-call and I cannot change them, but what happens in the journey to them remains unwritten. :)

I agree - my first book had no planning at all behind it and the writing process took far longer than I wanted. Second book had an outline from start to end and was finished in just under a month so it definitely pays to put the effort in during the early stages.

Simply got carried away today but tomorrow it's time to crack on with the outline.

P.S. Yeah, the librarian - just came to me whilst I mulling over what would be within the realms of reality. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Whew! So, I finally finished book one of Thicker than Blood, writing about 5k words today. I'm getting ready to send it off to the editor. I plan on starting book two tomorrow. Hmm... I might even start it tonight. Might as well keep writing while the story is flowing out nicely. :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
My tip for tonight... well, it shouldn't really be a tip, but for those who don't already know... be sure to always have a professional editor go through your story! Your mind will often put words that are missing into the story... just because when you thought about the sentence, those words were there in your mind. This holds true for spelling and grammar as well. Don't sell yourself short and potentially ruin an awesome story by not having an editor comb through it. Errors quickly turn readers off, so save yourself the disappointed and possible bad reviews.

I just got my story back from the editor and I had to laugh at the mistakes he found that I had no idea were there. :)

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
My tip for tonight... well, it shouldn't really be a tip, but for those who don't already know... be sure to always have a professional editor go through your story! Your mind will often put words that are missing into the story... just because when you thought about the sentence, those words were there in your mind. This holds true for spelling and grammar as well. Don't sell yourself short and potentially ruin an awesome story by not having an editor comb through it. Errors quickly turn readers off, so save yourself the disappointed and possible bad reviews.

I just got my story back from the editor and I had to laugh at the mistakes he found that I had no idea were there. :)
Just so people know, if you are hiring for this, they are called "proofreaders" or "copy editors" and are usually more expensive than general or developmental editors (who are editing for plot/style/pacing/consistency).

edit: Rainy, how much does your editor charge? Mind linking to the website?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Just so people know, if you are hiring for this, they are called "proofreaders" or "copy editors" and are usually more expensive than general or developmental editors (who are editing for plot/style/pacing/consistency).

Thanks for that, because I've been trying to make sense of who does what for a while. Copy editors are really more expensive than developmental? I'm competent to do the former, but not the latter. I'd think it would be the other way around.

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Thanks for that, because I've been trying to make sense of who does what for a while. Copy editors are really more expensive than developmental? I'm competent to do the former, but not the latter. I'd think it would be the other way around.
I'm sure there are lots of exceptions, but copyediting is way more time intensive. Also there's a strict objective measure of how well you can do your job; with developmental editing it's a lot more fuzzy and I feel like a lot of unscrupulous people throw the term around too loosely =/

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Whew! So, I finally finished book one of Thicker than Blood, writing about 5k words today. I'm getting ready to send it off to the editor. I plan on starting book two tomorrow. Hmm... I might even start it tonight. Might as well keep writing while the story is flowing out nicely. :)

Well done. Doesn't it feel good once the words start pouring out onto the page? :)

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK

Really? My experience would be quite opposite. Proofreaders tend to be cheaper than general or developmental editors. Maybe because the "general" will often do a bit of developmental while proofreading with an extra vocabulary improvement service...

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'm loving this thread and can relate to so many things. As I've said I have released my need to be "all things" in terms of my publishing entity. I'm focused on story structure whilst I work other things out.

Totally skimming this FSOG parody. I am like the only person I know who just never finished the first half of the book. I wouldn't say it was horrible or anything. Just ... I didn't really care to read it. Literotica.com has a great section of things I do read. ;)

ScreenHunter_113-Apr.-04-23.01.gif

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Really? My experience would be quite opposite. Proofreaders tend to be cheaper than general or developmental editors. Maybe because the "general" will often do a bit of developmental while proofreading with an extra vocabulary improvement service...
Hm, maybe it's different at higher levels. The proofreaders I've looked at are all expensive because it's so time-consuming to do line reads. I'm sure the really good developmental editors are worth it; the ones I've seen mainly give overall reports and specifically say they don't do any copyediting, so not really worth it for me when I can trade beta reads with a ton of people.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Rainy, how much does your editor charge? Mind linking to the website?

For my 10k words, he charged me $50 for both copy and developmental edits. The developmental edits, he simply pointed out places that needed more detail, had too much detail, would help with development or things that didn't make sense. Such a huge help. If he had a website, I would like it for you guys!

Progress update: I have completed the edits, received feedback from my betas, made slight adjustments, had betas do a 2nd read and now... I think she's finished, this first book of "Thicker than Blood" anyway. :)

While going over the beta's thoughts, it occurred to me that while I have a story line in place, it may change... I want to give my readers what they want, and by creating a series, I can adjust events to their liking, as long as they provide the feedback. This would provide a more interactive experience for them and perhaps draw them in deeper.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Today... what did I do today... I created accounts on: Goodreads, Literotica, Amazon and Smashwords. I made a blog on blogger. I uploaded book one of Thicker than Blood to Smashwords, Amazon and Literotica. It is now live on Smashwords, waiting for approval on Amazon and Literotica.

Busy, busy day. :) If anyone wants to check out my book one, it's free on Smashwords right now. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/387584

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Busy indeed! I'm playing catch-up after almost a week off due to a trip out of town. Next time I hope to have a decent laptop or tablet with keyboard so I can take it with me. Trying to write 30k words that you've already been paid for in two days is NO FUN! To be fair, my client told me to take several weeks to make up the hours, but I hate to have it hanging over my head.

Grabbed your book, looking forward to reading it. I'm in the middle of something right now, and have a couple of Aubrey Rose's books to read ahead of it, but should get to it within the next week. Will leave a review wherever I can if you like.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Trying to write 30k words that you've already been paid for in two days is NO FUN!

Ouch... I can't imagine that. I tend to do best when I have no deadline but my own. If I had to write for someone other than myself, I think my creativity would suffer, having to force it. Hope you had a good trip to make it worth playing catchup!

Will leave a review wherever I can if you like

Sounds fantastic! Would love to hear what you think. :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Unfortunately, it wasn't that kind of trip, but thanks.

I ghostwrite for a client who treats me more like a collaborator and respects my creativity, so I'm lucky. He's also helping me pay a large debt while I work toward making some money at this, so I'm happy. I should have an update on my progress thread in a few days...hope to see you there. I may PM you for a hookup with your editor, too, one of these days.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Unfortunately, it wasn't that kind of trip, but thanks.

:( Sorry. I hope everything turned out okay then.

I should have an update on my progress thread in a few days...hope to see you there. I may PM you for a hookup with your editor, too, one of these days.

You certainly will see me... I've found this forum is my new lurking grounds. lol Such a wealth of knowledge. And, yeah, let me know when you need an editor. I have a fantastic one.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Received my first review on Smashwords. Got a four out of five stars with the comment: An interesting story. Intrigued to read more. :)

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Update: Thicker than Blood is now live on Amazon and was approved for Smashwords Premium. The plan is to have the second book finished and up by the time Amazon price-matches the first book on B&N. Also, have purchased a domain and hosting to get a true blog up, set up a twitter account and set up a email capture widget on my blog. :)

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
While going over the beta's thoughts, it occurred to me that while I have a story line in place, it may change... I want to give my readers what they want, and by creating a series, I can adjust events to their liking, as long as they provide the feedback. This would provide a more interactive experience for them and perhaps draw them in deeper.

Oooh that's a creative way of being flexible with the process.

Congrats on the publishing. Looking forward to reading your book.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Wow... I just got the best review from Amazon:

This was a great start to a series, with enough humor and steaminess to warrant a full novel.

The start of the plot made me think it was going to be a mindless sex story, but as I read on I began to really care about Kenna. It's nice to see a story about a big beautiful woman who isn't afraid to indulge in her sex drive! A good change from the typical insecure BBW. And Dr Amante (love the name) is quite the sexy doctor!

Highly recommend for anyone who likes medical romance with a touch of the paranormal... I hope there will be more paranormal stuff in the next book, since it just lightly touched on it in this one. Still, looking forward to the sequel!

avispa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Dec 13, 2013
Yes! Finally someone has the same opinion. People blush, mutter, and ho-hum, but aside from the sexual plots, There's not that much of a story!

I have to say, your design skills are phenomenal. I was wondering where the photos were taken, then picked up on ''graphic design''

if you can Write AND Draw, you just cut miles ahead of people seeking drawers, like um.. me :p

Where would your book be published? How will you manage interest level, and keep your readers ''Engaged'' You Don't want a customer to look at the next book, and think eh. It's the same.

is there a reason your cover has no finished face?

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I have to say, your design skills are phenomenal.

Thank you so very much! I love graphic design. Have been doing it since I was sixteen. lol No face... seemed mysterious and that's what I was going for as my book is mysterious. (at least I think so)

Where would your book be published? How will you manage interest level, and keep your readers ''Engaged''

I will be publishing the first book of every series on Smashwords and Amazon (for free), then the books to follow only on amazon under their KDP program. This way, I get the reader hooked with a freebie and they want to know what happens to the heroine... As far as keeping them engaged, I am encouraging my readers to send me feedback... let me know what they want to happen in the next book. Right now, I have a poll up on good reads... whatever the result, I'm going to twist the story in that direction. :) Makes it interactive for the readers and gives me new ideas where I might not have thought in that direction.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Thank you so very much! I love graphic design. Have been doing it since I was sixteen. lol No face... seemed mysterious and that's what I was going for as my book is mysterious. (at least I think so)

I will be publishing the first book of every series on Smashwords and Amazon (for free), then the books to follow only on amazon under their KDP program. This way, I get the reader hooked with a freebie and they want to know what happens to the heroine... As far as keeping them engaged, I am encouraging my readers to send me feedback... let me know what they want to happen in the next book. Right now, I have a poll up on good reads... whatever the result, I'm going to twist the story in that direction. :) Makes it interactive for the readers and gives me new ideas where I might not have thought in that direction.

Interesting approach on using Smashwords to force Amazon free. That's the only use I can see for it, after publishing everything there for four months. I'll be interested to see your results, as well as hear how long it takes Amazon to price match. I had one free on Smashwords for three weeks and asked people to report it to Amazon, with no luck, before I unpublished everything on Smashwords so I could go to KDP Select. But, it's all about testing, so let us know how it works out.

Yes! Finally someone has the same opinion. People blush, mutter, and ho-hum, but aside from the sexual plots, There's not that much of a story!

Were you speaking of FSOG in that comment, or erotica in general? Because I can tell you, in the six months since I read FSOG and started reading indie-published erotica for what works well and what doesn't, I've read plenty that have great plots. Of course, many don't, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Most of us are trying to tell a good story.

avispa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Dec 13, 2013
''A reader hooked with a freebie'' might induce ''Download Syndrome''

User gets interested in a book. User Downloads said book. User does not ever open said downloaded book, until one day they find it in download folder, think ''what's this?'' and delete.

Me? I'll pull the Epub to my phone, and read it.

But the website lists all these.

Epub (Apple iPad/iBooks, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo, and most e-reading apps including Stanza, Aldiko, Adobe Digital Editions, others)

Download

Kindle (.mobi for Kindle devices and Kindle apps)

Download

PDF (good for reading on PC, or for home printing)

Download

RTF (readable on most word processors)

Download

LRF (Use only for older model Sony Readers that don't support .epub)

Download

Palm Doc (PDB) (for Palm reading devices)

Download

Plain Text (download) (flexible, but lacks much formatting)

Download

Plain Text (view) (viewable as web page)

Very nice. And very confusing. Unless the person is on that device when they find the link, they still need to

Connect device to computer with cable.

Navigate to the correct folder (some people still don't know how!)

put the file in folder.

Disconnect.

Can you simplify this process? I tried a Mobile Test and this site isn't mobile.

Amazon- Good call. Download read. Won't open? Download amazon reader and read.

But you might be loosing would be readers, having them download a file.

Also- can You Pull the first book, make it buy only? or would you keep it free?

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
''A reader hooked with a freebie'' might induce ''Download Syndrome''

Yes, I could see that, but I'm only posting on Smashwords to get my book to B&N so I can have amazon price match my first book in the series to free. After that, the rest of the books in the series will be Amazon only. I want the first book to remain free indefinitely.

I had one free on Smashwords for three weeks and asked people to report it to Amazon, with no luck

I've heard that you have to wait until it's on Barnes and Noble before Amazon will take it seriously. (If your book is accepted into Smashwords Premium, it will be distributed to B&N in a week or so.) I'm just watching B&N for it to be available there, then I will proceed with pounding Amazon for a price match. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.