The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Super Rich Have Their Own Problems

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
An article (here) that claims studies say the super rich are unhappy, and 'imply' that they are worse off than normal middle class.

My thoughts: This article tries to shed so much light on the disadvantages of being super rich, but if they take a step back and bring in the advantages; I would probably have to say The Pros of being super-rich greatly and severly outweigh any of these problems. Plus almost every problem they bring up are 'good problems' to have..

I would have to say that I do believe the human mind was genetically created to never settle or think something is enough. Example: one thinks they are never rich enough, their car is never big enough, car is never fast enough, they never look good enough, etc.

This trait, I believe, is engrained in our minds, but it's the fundamental factor why the human species has evolved and has come so far in advancement.. never settling and always trying to out-do..

What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon3587x

You can focus on the negatives or positives of anything and make it sound awesome or horrible.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This reminds me of the movie Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps ... in one scene, the main character asks the rich billionaire financier, WHATS YOUR NUMBER? In other words, how much is enough?

His answer?

More.

That to me is a prescription for unhappiness. At some point, we have to learn to accept enough and be gratuitous for it ... of course, I'm not suggesting not to strive for more or better, however, if what you have is never enough, you'll probably never be happy.

Netprofit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 11, 2011
Sweden
OF COURSE you have more problems when you are rich, that's because you have more stuff going on! But there is definitely no negative in being rich, that's just slowlane excuses for not getting rich. What can you do when you are poor? Can you donate money to the local hospital? Can you do something about world problems (For example in Japan right now)?
You can also deal with your problems easier than if you are poor.

"There is no amount of poverty you can to make another person wealthy, there is no amount of sadness you can have to make another person happy"

Of course money can't make you happy.. Even though many may think so.
But I definitely think money can make you HAPPIER, if you are happy already.:D

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
"But there is definitely no negative in being rich, that's just slowlane excuses for not getting rich."

100% agreed. Good problems = "I can't decide where to take my dad for vacation this year?" "Should I go volunteer today or go work on something I'm passionate about?" "Which car should I drive today? I don't want to look too rich, but don't want to look bummy?"

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
I would have to say that I do believe the human mind was genetically created to never settle or think something is enough. Example: one thinks they are never rich enough, their car is never big enough, car is never fast enough, they never look good enough, etc.

This trait, I believe, is engrained in our minds, but it's the fundamental factor why the human species has evolved and has come so far in advancement.. never settling and always trying to out-do..

What are your thoughts?

Interesting articles about what happens to the brain when you have reached some goal.

The Futile Pursuit of Happiness - NYTimes.com

Read more: Reminder: 5 Things You Think Will Make You Happy (But Won't) | Cracked.com

"China is turning into a great object lesson in this, as their economy explodes and incomes skyrocket, but levels of happiness and personal satisfaction are dropping at the same rapid rate.

There's a couple of reasons for it. First, your brain adjusts feelings of happiness downward after you've reached some goal or other. It regulates the good feelings, presumably so that you have motivation to reach the next goal instead of just lounging by the pool for the rest of your days."

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
I can see how creating an empire with multiple homes, cars, planes, etc can be a headache.

In alot of ways keeping things simple and hassle free has alot of appeal. But don't get me wrong, I still want to build wealth. I just don't want to fall into a trap where I need millions a year to support my lifestyle. To me that's just like going right back into enslavement but having a fancier cage.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
That to me is a prescription for unhappiness. At some point, we have to learn to accept enough and be gratuitous for it ... of course, I'm not suggesting not to strive for more or better, however, if what you have is never enough, you'll probably never be happy.

i want to start by saying this is truly impressive and shows a lot of character, but i am a bit confused. I hear many wealthy people say you cant get half pregnant. I mean for someone who has become a millionaire many times over such as yourself, why are you now satisfied? Why were you not satisfied at 1 million, why are you not dying to make it to 100 million? Im assuming this is a big misconception that most people say you MUST have the "its never enough" attitude in order to be successful. During your companies growth stage how did you feel on this subject?

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
I heard Tony Robbins once say something to the effect of:

Money doesn't change you, it magnifies what you already are. If you were a happy person before you had money you will be even happier, if you were a sad/angry person then you will become more of that.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Bill Gates and Warren Buffet dont seem to have problems. But then again, I do not live their lives

ChrisRempel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 1, 2011
Victoria BC
All I can say is when you don't have to count every penny or go to bed worrying about how you'll make it through this month - life is better.

Hands down.

As for "happier"?

I think you're way happier as soon as you get past the "survival" threshold.

But will you be happier making $5Million/year vs. $500K?

Probably not.

-Chris

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
People are usually happy when they are growing. If they are making more money than they did last year. If they are expanding... If they are feeling that they are growing financially and as a person.

If you have $50 million and the next year you have the same or less, even if it is $48 million and you continue this path you will feel you are going backwards and will probably be unhappy. I think JamesF is right. We have it ingrained in us to want more, be bigger and better and always be growing. Once this stops you begin to feel unhappy even if you have lots of money.

I think the best way to stay happy is to determine where you want to be and work at it every day. If you have a number, then what is it you want beyond that number. In other words you need goals and to achieve them until you die. Hitting that magic number will be a great moment but over time you will wilt and seek out the next challenge.

It's like the person who diets and loses weight. They hit that magic number of 180 pounds and then that's it. There are no goals after hitting the magic number. There is no growth or progress and then you begin to eat crappy food, slack at the gym, and you gain 20 lbs.

I think the key is getting up every morning for the rest of your life and giving it your all.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I can see how creating an empire with multiple homes, cars, planes, etc can be a headache.

In alot of ways keeping things simple and hassle free has alot of appeal. But don't get me wrong, I still want to build wealth. I just don't want to fall into a trap where I need millions a year to support my lifestyle. To me that's just like going right back into enslavement but having a fancier cage.

Building wealth and collecting stuff need not go hand in hand.

I spent the first 12-13 years of my adult working life building wealth and collecting things. Motorhome, motorcycles, cars, houses, etc.

I have been working hard the past 2 years getting rid of it all. It is a headache and a distraction from what matters in life (to me anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I liked my toys, but I didn't really need or use 20+ motorcycles. I am thinning the herd down to just the ones I really want.

The RV was cool, but when you only use it 3-4 times per year, it is a drain. I can rent one and not worry about the hassles of ownership and spend less money to boot.

I would argue that keeping things simple is actually a benefit to accumulating wealth. The 'stuff' is a distraction that gets you off course of achieving your goals.

I now prefer a life of experiences, not stuff.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
why are you now satisfied?

You are looking at satisfaction as an event. I am satisfied with my process. I already live exactly as I want to live -- I am thankful for that and it is the source of great happiness. I strive to grow, learn more, and to expand my knowledge and skills. Tony Robbins called it CANI ... Constant and Neverending Improvement. Regardless of $, I believe that everyone should be on a path to better themselves ... I believe that if one seizes to grow (regardless of net worth) life begins to wither.

The RV was cool, but when you only use it 3-4 times per year, it is a drain.

Agreed. This is also why I don't own a vacation home -- I'd rather rent and live when and where I want without the hassles of taxes, upkeep, maintenance, and all the other BS that comes with that territory. Keeping things simple for the sake and preservation of freedom and mobility is a big part in my equation.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Ok, that makes sense. I agree with your statement above MJ, since i have been a member here i have become a happier person due to my constant effort to better myself and my skills, so i see where you are coming from.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I believe that internal growth inspires growth in your environment. The fact that each of us desires and pursues growth of the mind, soul, and body motivates us to change our circumstances. Those changes in circumstance are powered by internal growth. I draw happiness from reaching and maintaining potential. It feels to me to be an innate human trait. Achieving the life you want is one of these examples of reaching potential and maintaining potential. Milton Friedman touched on this in a 1979 Phil Donahue interview.

[video=youtube_share;18qRLX5puNc]http://youtu.be/18qRLX5puNc[/video]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.