The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sup bro's? What do you all need help with?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I can see the inverse happening at a start up. They are usually run by people just like you with little or balanced structure. See if you can visit some, go out of your way to show your value and be truthful about your situation. i bet you land something.

And yes you will be working for someone else, but you can really learn some extremely useful things at a startup.... since that is where you are headed anyway right?

You have to break your mental cycle right now. You are thinking re-actively and negative because of the impending situation of bills you can't pay. Reverse that, get out there, and fix your situation... the only one responsible for your situation is you, so you are the only one that can make it happen! Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Blog commenting is a blackhat SEO method and can get you blacklisted by google - good idea but, I would suggest stopping it

Who let this guy in?

roc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Feb 12, 2011
Hey bro, sorry for the late reply. First question can I get away with a wordpress theme for an ecomm setup. Second when working physical products how much different is the seo process as compared to ebooks. For example I want to sell clay jars, would it be a good ideal to write articles on the history of clay pots to how they are made? I'll think of more later thanks alot man.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Hey bro, sorry for the late reply. First question can I get away with a wordpress theme for an ecomm setup. Second when working physical products how much different is the seo process as compared to ebooks. For example I want to sell clay jars, would it be a good ideal to write articles on the history of clay pots to how they are made? I'll think of more later thanks alot man.

How many products? You have to be consise, lol. If you have just a few products, a wordpress solution make work fine. Anything over that... probably not.

As for SEO, you probably know it is different for every niche. But yes you can still write content for links to your site. Link bait probably isn't going to be as easy unless you are selling something new and cool. You can write out targeted content in a learning section of the store that targets solving problems using the product as a solution though which will bring in visitors and you can promote your product within your site.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
LightHouse has taken the time and effort to start this thread.

Our of respect to him if you want to post an answer I would think it best to send a PM asking him if is ok.

As of now the answers offered by people who are NOT LightHouse have been horrible and should never have been posted.

tonym4563

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 15, 2012
what I'm struggling with is that i am an inventor have invented over 100 items
I'm in the process of prototyping 2 at the moment and find myself financially embarrassed at the moment
so am seeking a dragon

Gregory Fleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 8, 2012
San Francisco USA
I can see the inverse happening at a start up. They are usually run by people just like you with little or balanced structure. See if you can visit some, go out of your way to show your value and be truthful about your situation. i bet you land something.

And yes you will be working for someone else, but you can really learn some extremely useful things at a startup.... since that is where you are headed anyway right?

You have to break your mental cycle right now. You are thinking re-actively and negative because of the impending situation of bills you can't pay. Reverse that, get out there, and fix your situation... the only one responsible for your situation is you, so you are the only one that can make it happen! Good luck!

You are correct. I need to break out of the cycle. Doesn't help that the strain of the situation is causing much marital strife. What I've been doing is hitting business networking hard. I think I finally got some referrals in recent days. I'm finding the folks in BNI chapters to be amazingly helpful. I just hope I'm not fooling myself cause the bank accounts are draining quickly.

Jumping into a startup requires something else I haven't had in years of being a self-made man, a resume. Anyone have guidance on whipping one up on the fly that isn't awful? Maybe I can get a friend who is good at this to it for me and pay her later.

One thing is for sure, I recognize 100% that this is my fault and part of what I'm doing is correcting my behavior so I never put myself and others through this again.

tonym4563

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 15, 2012
fantastic day just made first working prototype
now my minds racing trying to work out machinery for mass production
with little or no money good fun but ill get there
thanks for the message by the way

trader26

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 25, 2012
Looking for Outsourcer

I need help getting an outsourcer to write kindle e-books for me. I was thinking about posting on odesk, which i have used in the past for article writing for a website i have, but i was not sure if anyone has any other ideas. I heard about a site called Online jobs.ph for Filipinos. I also need to figure out how much to pay them. Range I have in mind is $100 to $175. Has an
PHP:
yone used this site before or outsourced this type of job?

AMfree

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 11, 2012
well i hav these crazy idea of utilising a talent of mine which is ; I SEEM TO BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING AT ALL WHETHER I HAV HEARD IT BEFORE OR NOT, SECONDARY PEOPLE ALWAYS COME TO ME FOR EXPLANATIONS EVEN AFTER THEY HAV THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED ABOUT THE TOPIC OR SITUATION WITH GOOGLE,WIKIPEDIA ETC". so the thing is i want to make a site for explaining both the explainable and the unexplainable.
For this i decided to to learn web designing on my own. but i need a free hosting service to try my web pages and get an idea about how the real thing would be. this is purely for the web developing practice. FOR THE REAL SITE I WANT TO MAKE, I WILL USE A HOST THAT I WILL PAY MONTHLY. so where do i get a free hosting service to host my web pages for the mean time?
ALSO AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING WITH THIS TALENT OF MINE, IS THERE A BETTER WAY?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'm in the process of prototyping 2 at the moment and find myself financially embarrassed at the moment
so am seeking a dragon

Why 2 at the same time and why are you embarrassed? What is there to be embarrassed about? You are the only limit to yourself, so if you hold yourself up with silly notions like hat, you are the only one you can blame for your success and failure.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
so am seeking a dragon

You are correct. I need to break out of the cycle. Doesn't help that the strain of the situation is causing much marital strife. What I've been doing is hitting business networking hard. I think I finally got some referrals in recent days. I'm finding the folks in BNI chapters to be amazingly helpful. I just hope I'm not fooling myself cause the bank accounts are draining quickly.

Jumping into a startup requires something else I haven't had in years of being a self-made man, a resume. Anyone have guidance on whipping one up on the fly that isn't awful? Maybe I can get a friend who is good at this to it for me and pay her later.

One thing is for sure, I recognize 100% that this is my fault and part of what I'm doing is correcting my behavior so I never put myself and others through this again.

Come on, it's a resume! You and I know that takes an hour tops to make, IF you are even going to need it. You are developing pre-concieved notions about things. In the end it is up to you and your drive, if you want it, you will get it, and we will get to see it. If not, then I don't know what advice is left to give!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
so am seeking a dragon

I need help getting an outsourcer to write kindle e-books for me. I was thinking about posting on odesk, which i have used in the past for article writing for a website i have, but i was not sure if anyone has any other ideas. I heard about a site called Online jobs.ph for Filipinos. I also need to figure out how much to pay them. Range I have in mind is $100 to $175. Has an
PHP:
yone used this site before or outsourced this type of job?

You want to pay $100 to get an entire book written for you? If you do, i'll stop responding now.....

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
He is like batman you just shine the light or say his name and he appears :)

Thanks Lighthouse!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
so am seeking a dragon

well i hav these crazy idea of utilising a talent of mine which is ; I SEEM TO BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING AT ALL WHETHER I HAV HEARD IT BEFORE OR NOT, SECONDARY PEOPLE ALWAYS COME TO ME FOR EXPLANATIONS EVEN AFTER THEY HAV THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED ABOUT THE TOPIC OR SITUATION WITH GOOGLE,WIKIPEDIA ETC". so the thing is i want to make a site for explaining both the explainable and the unexplainable.
For this i decided to to learn web designing on my own. but i need a free hosting service to try my web pages and get an idea about how the real thing would be. this is purely for the web developing practice. FOR THE REAL SITE I WANT TO MAKE, I WILL USE A HOST THAT I WILL PAY MONTHLY. so where do i get a free hosting service to host my web pages for the mean time?
ALSO AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING WITH THIS TALENT OF MINE, IS THERE A BETTER WAY?

Not really sure what you are getting at, but google "WAMP" or "XAMP" if you want to run a web server on your own computer and not pay for a server. Cutting corners wont get you far, especially considering you can get a hosting account for a few bucks a month.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
He is like batman you just shine the light or say his name and he appears :)

Thanks Lighthouse!

haha, i just so happened to be on the same time you posted.

Famous1s

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 26, 2012
Im opening a clothing store. What's your favorite clothhing store and why do you shop there ?? Tips for website

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Im opening a clothing store. What's your favorite clothhing store and why do you shop there ?? Tips for website

Interesting question, I actually do not have an answer though. I don't have a favorite store because I am not a shopper. In fact im notoriously cheap when it comes to clothes. My only real requirement is that my clothing is fitted now a days. Its becoming a more common trend to see more main stream and chain stores carry fitted clothing vs just standard fit. That works for me!

I can't say I've ever bought clothing online, so maybe someone else can chime in here...?

Famous1s

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 26, 2012
Interesting question, I actually do not have an answer though. I don't have a favorite store because I am not a shopper. In fact im notoriously cheap when it comes to clothes. My only real requirement is that my clothing is fitted now a days. Its becoming a more common trend to see more main stream and chain stores carry fitted clothing vs just standard fit. That works for me!

I can't say I've ever bought clothing online, so maybe someone else can chime in here...?

Thanks If anyone else can help out I would surely appreciate it..

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
It may be more beneficial if you start up a thread, and take the time to explain what you have done to be unique already and get advice for specific issues you are facing or feedback on things you have implemented... just don't be vague or sound like an ad!

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Which have you made money doing?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Almost all of them

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey Lighthouse,

Great thread. I'm looking to start creating some information products. My question is about market testing. Obviously I don't want to spend a bunch of time/money on product creation, only to launch to an empty market. I've got a hunch the markets I'm looking at have the demand, but I want to make damn sure before starting out.

I was planning on setting up a basic OptimizePress landing page for the product. Then I was going to offer a free report for newsletter opt-in. The free report wouldn't actually exist – it would just be an incentive to see how many people would be interested.

Then I'd send traffic to that page with $100 or so in Adwords. I've done some research and it seems like this is a fairly reliable way to get some good numbers. But I thought I'd ask – do you have any better methods of market target? Is there anything specific you'd recommend, especially for someone on a tight budget?

Thanks!

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
Lighthouse,

When starting up a new company to solve a health challenge (by providing self-created info products)...

1. would you recommend starting a blog to attract a crowd of people in your market audience to start creating a relationship? any other main methods?

2. if you didnt start a blog, how would you attract people to join a subscriber list (email newsletters)? Or do you not recommend a subscriber list?

3. Would this blog be the only website your company is located at? (meaning, is the blog domain the website that people can buy the eproducts from, or would you leave the blog and sales pages on different domains?)

4. how would you approach choosing the domain name for this website? do you choose a keyword in your domain name that is very popular (searched through keyword tool)? If so, what if all the good keyword domains are taken? Or do you approach it totally differently?

Thanks

Oz

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Dude, sorry, i totally missed that this was even in here! Are you trying to create info products in new or emerging markets? If not you should be able to find data on existing markets by just researching around.

I would never offer something that isn't there. Find something of value that you can create cheaply and give it away. hopefully something closely related to your product. It doesn't always have to be the standard white paper bullshit like 10 great tips etc etc. Also different things work in different markets, so it is hard to say any one direction without know exactly what it is, or what market it is in.

The adwords thing can work depending on how big the market is, if it is something with high adwords cost you will never get a large enough sample size to determine is the market is viable for your product. Also your makeshift landing page could be why the product won't convert as well, these are things you will have to take educated guesstimates on. If you see demand for a product, create something of value and offer it up. If you are seeing demand on the form of communication from other people. Contact those people directly or find out how to get in front of them specifically.

FOr instance if you determined this may be a good product to a certain market based on seeing a forum of people complaining about problem x. Taking out an ad, or interacting in that community directly would yield a much much more efficient means of determining the market vs adwords on guessed keywords. So go where the problem is, and step in front of it.

Hey Lighthouse,

Great thread. I'm looking to start creating some information products. My question is about market testing. Obviously I don't want to spend a bunch of time/money on product creation, only to launch to an empty market. I've got a hunch the markets I'm looking at have the demand, but I want to make damn sure before starting out.

I was planning on setting up a basic OptimizePress landing page for the product. Then I was going to offer a free report for newsletter opt-in. The free report wouldn't actually exist – it would just be an incentive to see how many people would be interested.

Then I'd send traffic to that page with $100 or so in Adwords. I've done some research and it seems like this is a fairly reliable way to get some good numbers. But I thought I'd ask – do you have any better methods of market target? Is there anything specific you'd recommend, especially for someone on a tight budget?

Thanks!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Im not sure what you mean by a blog creating a crowd, typically unless you are an authority site, your blog posts will be passively read, not creating a community around them. You will get some repeat users but not with the gravity that you would need to keep them around unless you were webmd or something similar.

Do you need a subscriber list to solve this issue for people? It is sort of hard to answer specifically without know exactly what you are trying to do. If your goal is to sell a digital product to directly help the consumer, i would create a place for them to find advice and perhaps discuss it, or emerse yourself in an existing community (cheaper and faster) if available and offer your product to the right people.

That is up to you depending on how you structure wht you are eventaully trying to do. If i created a community on my site, I would offer the product directly on that site. If you need a standalone site to promote and sell the product from other communities then I would do that. It is really dependent on how you end up accomplishing the end goal.

No advice for you there without know what it is. keyword domains can help. maybe a general keyword domain that focuses on the whole program would work as well. Really I think the domain is less important than the value you are providing to people in need.

Lighthouse,

When starting up a new company to solve a health challenge (by providing self-created info products)...

1. would you recommend starting a blog to attract a crowd of people in your market audience to start creating a relationship? any other main methods?

2. if you didnt start a blog, how would you attract people to join a subscriber list (email newsletters)? Or do you not recommend a subscriber list?

3. Would this blog be the only website your company is located at? (meaning, is the blog domain the website that people can buy the eproducts from, or would you leave the blog and sales pages on different domains?)

4. how would you approach choosing the domain name for this website? do you choose a keyword in your domain name that is very popular (searched through keyword tool)? If so, what if all the good keyword domains are taken? Or do you approach it totally differently?

Thanks

Oz

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
Im not sure what you mean by a blog creating a crowd, typically unless you are an authority site, your blog posts will be passively read, not creating a community around them. You will get some repeat users but not with the gravity that you would need to keep them around unless you were webmd or something similar.

Yeh, my idea was to create a blog that offered great content that would keep people coming back. I know attracting large amounts of people isnt going to happen overnight, but I thought through connecting with people via related forums, guest blogging, guest article writing for someones related subscriber list, etc could start generating traffic back to blog + word of mouth through this.

Do you need a subscriber list to solve this issue for people? It is sort of hard to answer specifically without know exactly what you are trying to do. If your goal is to sell a digital product to directly help the consumer, i would create a place for them to find advice and perhaps discuss it, or emerse yourself in an existing community (cheaper and faster) if available and offer your product to the right people.

My thought was to create a blog, attract people to it, have them love the content, get the to subscribe by offering a free video, establish a relationship with them, then offer product/s. The blog with be, in your words, 'a place for them to find advice and perhaps discuss it'.

No advice for you there without know what it is. keyword domains can help. maybe a general keyword domain that focuses on the whole program would work as well. Really I think the domain is less important than the value you are providing to people in need.

Ok. I guess I was asking should I go and get a domain url with the best 'keyword' match, or a domain url that is my 'brand name'?

A website that is very similar to what I want to do (blog, subscriber lists, sells products, etc) is marksdailyapple.com , which a Paleo or Primal diet website. Obviously his url isnt keyword focused e.g 'primaleating.com , the url is his brand name.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Hey Lighthouse, could you share some of your best tips on increasing conversions?

Maybe something like the top 5 things you tend to look for, or things that you've found that make the biggest improvements?

Thanks man.

kawasakirider

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 17, 2012
Lighthouse - Sorry for the following stupid question... If I had a free iPhone app that generated a LOT of traffic, how can I make money off it?

I believe that millions would use it and enjoy it, but they wouldn't be prepared to pay for it, much the same way as youtube is extremely popular but if people were charged to use it, I think a lot of their users would disappear.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.