The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting my own Web Design company

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
Hey guys, I have been busy since I have last been on here. I am not in the fastlane yet, but definitely stepping up the level to create something that hopefully will lead me to more cash flow enabling me to do less with my time and earn more.

I am deciding on a logo for my company and cannot decide. What are your thoughts on the four I am adding in here?

aa1.png
[/URL][/IMG]
aa1.png

aa2.png

vv -- This logo it somewhat meant to symbolize transforming. It is somewhat of a theme in my site.

aa3.png

aa4.png

I appreciate any opinions and feedback!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
I'd go for the 2nd one.

The first one seems out of alignment- because of the left space of the bar.

The 3rd one is to "chaotic."

And the last one reminds me of Pokemon....

This is just my consumer view. I've got no experience with branding, whatsoever.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Im a fan of the 3rd one.

I like that the logo is longer vs taller like the other three. The contrast between optimum and designs makes the word design pop and helps draw the attention right to it. And the symbol is unique

Edit: The reason I like that it is longer instead of taller is because I feel like the other 3 have too much going on in a small space it makes it appear alittle cramped.

Just my opinion though. Go with your gut!

Last edited:

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks for the feedback given so far guys!

Regarding the text of it. I am able to get the text more horizontally formatted. That is actually how the logo I choose is going to be...it makes it easier to use in a website header. However, for business cards I am going to vertically stack the wording I believe.

Any of the images can be sized smaller. The hard part I am having with deciding is on the graphic. Number 2 I originally liked, but it will be hard to put into a website header and make it look right because of the lowercase "d".

I have one other one that was sent to me.. I'm not sure on it, though. It is a light bulb with a gear turning in it...

aa5.png

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I like the last one, I can glance and pick up the gist of it.

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
Are you only doing web design? Or are you also looking into maybe doing mobile apps designs in the future?
Only web design now, but apps are definitely something I would potentially bring on later.

Dennis Demori

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2016
Thanks for the feedback given so far guys!

Regarding the text of it. I am able to get the text more horizontally formatted. That is actually how the logo I choose is going to be...it makes it easier to use in a website header. However, for business cards I am going to vertically stack the wording I believe.

Any of the images can be sized smaller. The hard part I am having with deciding is on the graphic. Number 2 I originally liked, but it will be hard to put into a website header and make it look right because of the lowercase "d".

I have one other one that was sent to me.. I'm not sure on it, though. It is a light bulb with a gear turning in it...

aa5.png

I like the lightbulb/gear best - it's the most unique and stands out the most.

What I would consider changing is the subtitle. You have Designs in the name of the company and you have Design in the subtitle, so it's somewhat redundant.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
My first (and current) business was web design and I did exactly what you are doing now.

I can tell you from experience that in the beginning no one but you will care about your logo, website, or business cards. Worry about branding after your first few clients. I spent hours making logos, my site, custom invoices for imaginary customers. I got a good slap to reality by a mentor and looked for clients. After all that time I spent working on pointless crap, the first three clients I had never asked to see my logo, my cards or even past sites.

Total f'ing waste of time.

So my advice to you from someone in the industry...

56741186.jpg

On topic. The last one. Even building a website is custom software. ;)

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
My first (and current) business was web design and I did exactly what you are doing now.

I can tell you from experience that in the beginning no one but you will care about your logo, website, or business cards. Worry about branding after your first few clients. I spent hours making logos, my site, custom invoices for imaginary customers. I got a good slap to reality by a mentor and looked for clients. After all that time I spent working on pointless crap, the first three clients I had never asked to see my logo, my cards or even past sites.

Total f'ing waste of time.

So my advice to you from someone in the industry...

56741186.jpg

On topic. The last one. Even building a website is custom software. ;)

Trust me, I am attempting to find clients, however not as hard as I should. I was finding it was hard to acquire clients without proof I even knew what I was doing. My own personal site has taken my a little while to create -- a month so far.... I am slow when it comes to my own stuff because I have a hard time coming to decisions ---

I am personally not creating these logos myself. I have a person I use for anything other than basic graphic design. So, these are concepts I am trying to choose from. You said the last one .... were you referring to the bird or the light bulb? To be honest, I don't really understand the bird or what it represents.

Thanks for your feedback and I will definitely be ramping this up in the next week.

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
I had her make a couple of revisions and a new concept for the gear. What do you all think?

Screenshot_2016-03-13-10-39-13.png

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I like the first version of the light bulb you had the best. I think you need to have the subtitle design + development because your name alone doesn't say it.

I also prefer the name on one line. Too me looks cleaner and less busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tekniq

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Feb 18, 2016
Georgia
Keep the lightbulb and the gear, and just create a few permutations of it for various areas of your business.

For example:
  • Favicon? just use the lightbulb/gear.
  • Company logo? Just use the lightbulb/gear.
  • Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn Profile Image? Just use the lightbulb/gear.
  • Cover photo? Perhaps include the Designs + development part and the company name.
  • If you're putting it on a business card, just use the logo or the logo and the name. Keep it simple and let the rest of the text on the card explain your role.
Sexy designs though! Your graphic designer is a beast.

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
Keep the lightbulb and the gear, and just create a few permutations of it for various areas of your business.

For example:
  • Favicon? just use the lightbulb/gear.
  • Company logo? Just use the lightbulb/gear.
  • Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn Profile Image? Just use the lightbulb/gear.
  • Cover photo? Perhaps include the Designs + development part and the company name.
  • If you're putting it on a business card, just use the logo or the logo and the name. Keep it simple and let the rest of the text on the card explain your role.
Sexy designs though! Your graphic designer is a beast.

Yes, I will have the logo created different ways. On my site would definitely be only the image and Optimum Designs. By the time they've landed there, it won't need explained in the logo what I do. I sent her your feedback, she will like your comment.

Thanks everyone!

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Nobody has really cared about my logo. However they do want to know what sites you have built before. I would suggest getting the ball rolling by getting some clients. You can bait them in with free work you will do to them and charge on bigger projects. You will soon find yourself overwhelmed with work coming from different referrals. After a while of getting more and more clients, you start to notice that it might be not what you want at all. Then you need to hire people or somehow start making systems to serve them all. I am just now getting to the point where I would need to start making better branding, since I am figuring out the system how I can serve more customers. Or I am just a slow learner. :D

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
Nobody has really cared about my logo. However they do want to know what sites you have built before. I would suggest getting the ball rolling by getting some clients. You can bait them in with free work you will do to them and charge on bigger projects. You will soon find yourself overwhelmed with work coming from different referrals. After a while of getting more and more clients, you start to notice that it might be not what you want at all. Then you need to hire people or somehow start making systems to serve them all. I am just now getting to the point where I would need to start making better branding, since I am figuring out the system how I can serve more customers. Or I am just a slow learner. :D

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, clients are at the top of my mind. I have several pending, so I hope to close soon on them. This whole idea of starting a web design company was first a thought/idea of trading my service to a laborer to get my floors resurfaced/stained. Now, any business I get will be awesome. I hope to grow it to a point where I can bring some people on. I will admit, I am not the best developer in the world, but I can design much better than some of the stuff out there. Bringing on better people than me would be ideal.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Trust me, I am attempting to find clients, however not as hard as I should. I was finding it was hard to acquire clients without proof I even knew what I was doing. My own personal site has taken my a little while to create -- a month so far.... I am slow when it comes to my own stuff because I have a hard time coming to decisions ---

I am personally not creating these logos myself. I have a person I use for anything other than basic graphic design. So, these are concepts I am trying to choose from. You said the last one .... were you referring to the bird or the light bulb? To be honest, I don't really understand the bird or what it represents.

Thanks for your feedback and I will definitely be ramping this up in the next week.
A logo isn't proof. Contact a local charity or non-profit and offer pro bono work.

pfar54

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 9, 2015
A logo isn't proof. Contact a local charity or non-profit and offer pro bono work.

When did I say it was? I'm not sure why my thread is going towards this path. I asked about opinions on a logo, not about acquiring clients.

Anyways, I ended up going with the light bulb. Today I am bringing on my first client and hopefully over the weekend contracting on another client. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
You will change your logo many times within the next years. Great step moving into the real business, let us know how the client work goes :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.