The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Started a bodyweight fitness website

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Bill Lee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 1, 2014
www.bodyreliance.com

Hello all, I've recently started a website dedicated to bodyweight training and workouts that you can do at home without having to go to the gym. I'm going with a freemium model right now, which means expanding my content library and increasing traffic while monetizing with ads.

What I've done so far:
-hired a content writer, marketing strategist, fitness tutorial video guy
-expanded my social media presence (not as much as I want it to be yet)
-wrote several guest posts for exposure/link juice

Future plans:
-develop an ebook and sell it
-really leverage Youtube more, as videos would do wonders for me in so many ways
-Facebook giveaway for more likes on the fan page

Does anyone have any input regarding site design, usability, or my plans in general? I've made several sites in the past but none have gotten too popular, I'm hoping this one has potential. Traffic has been somewhat lackluster so far though, I'm getting about 20-50 views a day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Nice! I followed you on Twitter & subscribed on YouTube :)

My quick thoughts on getting traffic would be this.

Get some really good videos to upload to YouTube (at least 6). Once you do that, get a thumbnail that has a good looking female or male body (maybe without the face but with abs, chest, back, etc showing) to attract interest, if you get a girl and if she could be an occasional guest on your YouTube channel that would be good for the audience I bet...

keep her as an occasional guest so all the guys will comment..."Where's Ashley!" "Get Ashley on!" haha, keep them hooked for more :smuggy:

The reason I said at least 6 videos is because on Twitter (when viewing on desktops or laptops) there are 6 spaces on the left hand side where the videos will show

...once you start getting traffic on Twitter take full advantage of it by having great thumbnails. Once they click on the image they'll check out your videos and maybe subscribe

...then to increase the probability, on your video have links to your main website, boom!

PS: I am set to do only body weight exercises this year. I am doing the INSANITY workout right now which I started on December 30. I guess that is body weight haha. After that I will get into more strength oriented exercises only using body weight. (I got two great books on it, probably the most popular ones on the topic).

Last edited:

Bill Lee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 1, 2014
Nice! I followed you on Twitter & subscribed on YouTube :)

My quick thoughts on getting traffic would be this.

Get some really good videos to upload to YouTube (at least 6). Once you do that, get a thumbnail that has a good looking female or male body (maybe without the face but with abs, chest, back, etc showing) to attract interest, if you get a girl and if she could be an occasional guest on your YouTube channel that would be good for the audience I bet...

keep her as an occasional guest so all the guys will comment..."Where's Ashley!" "Get Ashley on!" haha, keep them hooked for more :smuggy:

The reason I said at least 6 videos is because on Twitter (when viewing on desktops or laptops) there are 6 spaces on the left hand side where the videos will show

...once you start getting traffic on Twitter take full advantage of it by having great thumbnails. Once they click on the image they'll check out your videos and maybe subscribe

...then to increase the probability, on your video have links to your main website, boom!

PS: I am set to do only body weight exercises this year. I am doing the INSANITY workout right now which I started on December 30. I guess that is body weight haha. After that I will get into more strength oriented exercises only using body weight.

Hey Daniel, I appreciate the input and support! :D

You're definitely right about the video content. I'm still in the process of recruiting some marketable looking females (and males) through my social circle and craigslist. I like the tip about the thumbnail focusing on the body part, I'm pretty sure that's how Mike Chang (the 6 pack shortcuts guy) got big on youtube.

I'm glad to hear you're getting into the bodyweight regimen. The popularity of Insanity, P90X, and the like inspired me to make the website. Good luck with your Insanity program!

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
www.bodyreliance.com

Hello all, I've recently started a website dedicated to bodyweight training and workouts that you can do at home without having to go to the gym. I'm going with a freemium model right now, which means expanding my content library and increasing traffic while monetizing with ads.

What I've done so far:
-hired a content writer, marketing strategist, fitness tutorial video guy
-expanded my social media presence (not as much as I want it to be yet)
-wrote several guest posts for exposure/link juice

Future plans:
-develop an ebook and sell it
-really leverage Youtube more, as videos would do wonders for me in so many ways
-Facebook giveaway for more likes on the fan page

Does anyone have any input regarding site design, usability, or my plans in general? I've made several sites in the past but none have gotten too popular, I'm hoping this one has potential. Traffic has been somewhat lackluster so far though, I'm getting about 20-50 views a day.

Good luck! I think the model is pretty shoddy though. I don't detect a strong USP, theres no product (except content, but the content isn't even niche'd), except maybe a future eBook, but we all know there is a lot of those.

Looks more like a hobby than a business to me! I would change to something else! You want to sell something.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I like the tip about the thumbnail focusing on the body part, I'm pretty sure that's how Mike Chang (the 6 pack shortcuts guy) got big on youtube.

That was most likely a big help, no doubt. For the female fitness YouTubers...it's just much easier I bet haha.

Do you think there are more men or women interested in fitness though?

I know for myself...I only attentively watch instructional videos with men, but of course I click on the female ones ;)

What arcola said about the niche thing is right. Kind of why I was thinking about the male : female interest in fitness.

This is the best example I can come up with right away for a nitch fitness brand, I never forgot about it. (which is a good thing for him)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/

Nerdfitness ;)

Edit: Idk, I just remembered you were focusing only on body weight exercise. If you can convey that better maybe you will attract attention for those who are interested in it (like me, why I clicked haha).

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Love the domain!

And as already mentioned, I don't see anything unique about the site. What are you currently or planning on eventually offering that will help the site stand out more? Blog posts, ebooks, and the like all sound like every other site out there. Which, some of those other sites are very successful, so I'm not discouraging you from going that route.. but, that is something I would imagine is going to take quite awhile to get the following I assume you are looking to get. In other words.. not exactly "fastlane". I guess it all depends on what your goals are for this site.

As far as expanding, one thing that comes to my mind is for you to get involved somehow someway with youtube channels such as calisthenicskingz, barbrothers, barstarrz etc. If you can gain traction on youtube it will definitely be a huge help. Good luck Bill!

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
You have to sell something man...

Find a CUSTOMER

You want to TIGHTEN the feedback loop, you want it to be so in a few days you will know if it will work or not, with your model, it will take a year before you realize it isn't working

You have to Find a Real Customer!!! find someone who will open their wallet! Selling content without a niche is a big no no

Bill Lee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 1, 2014
That was most likely a big help, no doubt. For the female fitness YouTubers...it's just much easier I bet haha.

Do you think there are more men or women interested in fitness though?

I know for myself...I only attentively watch instructional videos with men, but of course I click on the female ones ;)

What arcola said about the niche thing is right. Kind of why I was thinking about the male : female interest in fitness.

This is the best example I can come up with right away for a nitch fitness brand, I never forgot about it. (which is a good thing for him)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/

Nerdfitness ;)

Edit: Idk, I just remembered you were focusing only on body weight exercise. If you can convey that better maybe you will attract attention for those who are interested in it (like me, why I clicked haha).

I think the majority is men, but women are a definitely a huge part of the demographic. A lot of my female friends are into that new blogilates craze. Nerdfitness is a great site, you're probably right, I need to differentiate my niche fitness brand somehow and convey the bodyweight part more.

Bill Lee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 1, 2014
How will you monetize it beyond ads?

Your knowledge of bodyweight workouts is concerning if you think P90X and Insanity qualify.

Ebooks/paid videos in the future once I get more traffic. Right now I'm focusing more on getting solid traffic and then monetization.

P90X and Insanity are based mostly on bodyweight exercises, I don't see why they wouldn't qualify as a bodyweight workout.

Bill Lee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 1, 2014
Love the domain!

And as already mentioned, I don't see anything unique about the site. What are you currently or planning on eventually offering that will help the site stand out more? Blog posts, ebooks, and the like all sound like every other site out there. Which, some of those other sites are very successful, so I'm not discouraging you from going that route.. but, that is something I would imagine is going to take quite awhile to get the following I assume you are looking to get. In other words.. not exactly "fastlane". I guess it all depends on what your goals are for this site.

As far as expanding, one thing that comes to my mind is for you to get involved somehow someway with youtube channels such as calisthenicskingz, barbrothers, barstarrz etc. If you can gain traction on youtube it will definitely be a huge help. Good luck Bill!

Thanks for your post, you are probably right. I do need a better competitive advantage, and a better USP as the guy above me stated. It is a going to be a slow process, but it's something I can devote to in my spare time. I wish I could just quit my 50 hour/week FT job and focus fully on a business but I'm too risk averse :(

I'll probably be contacting other Youtube channels like the ones you mentioned once I get more traction.

Bill Lee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 1, 2014
You have to sell something man...

Find a CUSTOMER

You want to TIGHTEN the feedback loop, you want it to be so in a few days you will know if it will work or not, with your model, it will take a year before you realize it isn't working

You have to Find a Real Customer!!! find someone who will open their wallet! Selling content without a niche is a big no no

This is why I post on these forums, I need the tough love and the cold hard truth. You definitely gave me something to think about, it is hard to let go of a project that you've already dedicated many hours to already but better to do it sooner rather than a year later like you said I guess.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Ebooks/paid videos in the future once I get more traffic. Right now I'm focusing more on getting solid traffic and then monetization.

P90X and Insanity are based mostly on bodyweight exercises, I don't see why they wouldn't qualify as a bodyweight workout.

Have you read the book this forum is based on?
Have you done any P90X workouts? The 3 main strength DVDs are ALL weights.

Sounds like you need to research your market, research your service/product, and research what body weight training really is.

Unless you're going to get Frank and a bunch of his buddies to send you videos each week.....it's a reach man.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
This is why I post on these forums, I need the tough love and the cold hard truth. You definitely gave me something to think about, it is hard to let go of a project that you've already dedicated many hours to already but better to do it sooner rather than a year later like you said I guess.

Read the Millionaire Fastlane ! PM if I can ever do anything for you bud

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
If you had a forum like bodybuilding.com has than i'd sign-up and post videos/pictures while sharing experiences and knowledge.Forums are important to get people connected and invested the site and cause, but again so is social media so you are definitely moving in the right direction, also i read an interesting article on how bodybuilding.com started out, have you read it by chance. i would try and look it up for you.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If you had a forum like bodybuilding.com has than i'd sign-up and post videos/pictures while sharing experiences and knowledge.Forums are important to get people connected and invested the site and cause, but again so is social media so you are definitely moving in the right direction, also i read an interesting article on how bodybuilding.com started out, have you read it by chance. i would try and look it up for you.

There is already a body weight/streetworkout = forum/community that has been gaining traction for a few years. I've been a member for a few years and they have grown well.

Madbarz. com < they have 100k on their FB page also.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Bill..I signed up to your site. I like he concept and I see the trend in the gyms with more and more people doing body weight training IN the gyms.

I've got 30yrs experience in training. I love banging out the heavy weights, but its tough on the joints, and there are MANY benefits to body weight training. I'll give you input the more time I spend on your site.

One problem here in MI is the weather....right now we have 8 " of snow and it's 17 degrees out....kinda limiting for any 'bar' workout or anything out doors. I think this is why people have brought it into the gym and their homes here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.