The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spending a lot of time on the computer. GOOD or BAD?

Alche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Mar 18, 2015
So I have been spending the majority of my days lately on the computer but for good reason.

I am trying to develop an online income and to do that I need a computer. The amount of time I spend though probably isn't healthy I'd say 8+ hrs every day, but if I am going to get anywhere in life this needs to be done!

Are you FOR grinding it out, putting in the hard work and never giving up even though its on a computer?

Or all about taking breaks and getting there eventually?

I am trying to get to a point as fast as possible where I can really cut down the time I have to spend on the computer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
It really depends on what you are doing. Vague questions get vague responses.

Alche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Mar 18, 2015
Ah sorry. I spend maybe 2hrs managing my ebay dropshipping, some time on forums and the rest is just learning new things like copy or coding. I also watch some tv shows which i am going to cut out. Reason i ask is i live with my parents still and they are all about getting the 9-5 job which makes it realy hard living with them. They are old fashioned if you get what i mean..

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
2170_2d8d.jpeg

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
Ah sorry. I spend maybe 2hrs managing my ebay dropshipping, some time on forums and the rest is just learning new things like copy or coding. I also watch some tv shows which i am going to cut out. Reason i ask is i live with my parents still and they are all about getting the 9-5 job which makes it realy hard living with them. They are old fashioned if you get what i mean..
I spend A LOT of time on the computer; and used to use the computer for procrastinating too!

Now all I use the computer for; is gaining knowledge and making money and I cut out the mindless, watching animals on YouTube.

I do lose focus from time to time but thats what makes us human.

I`m not going to tell you to disrespect your parents but just carry on trying to earn your money and while you live there pratically rent-free (assuming), i`d take advantage of it and not waste any of that time.

If I was you, i`d increase that time drop shipping or finding other alternative means to making money because watching TV shows is not going to help you.

Just grind, grind, grind and learn to love the grind.

Relaxing is important but while you have youth on your side, i`d just grind it out.

Though, it depends on your road map and where you want to be.

Poor- Take it easy
Middle-class - Get a job and go through the ranks - Risk your pension
Rich - GRIND!

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
"The personal computer is one of the worst things that ever happened to entrepreneurs.

First they spreadsheet everything to death, then they google everything to death, now they wikipedia everything to death".

Who said this? Dan Pena, the 50 billion dollar man.

Until recently I never looked at it that way, but it's certainly something you should let sink in.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
"The personal computer is one of the worst things that ever happened to entrepreneurs.

First they spreadsheet everything to death, then they google everything to death, now they wikipedia everything to death".

Until recently I never looked at it that way, but it's certainly something you should let sink in.
Ha ha and the irony is that you have a link in your signature bar for a book, relating to computers ;)
:p

Alche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Mar 18, 2015
ChrisJTurner everything you said rings true with me thanks for the reminder.

I've got an app that should be complete in a few weeks that I paid a guy to make and I'm almost about to start a website for a niche product I want to sell just waiting for some tax information.

Yes its almost free living with my parents, but as soon as I can I'm moving out. My plan was like you said to use this time wisely. Just waiting for a passport which will take 4 months then I plan to jet off overseas.

Thinking back a year ago, I really have come a long way since then. Just got to keep going. I can watch TV shows when I am rich.

@H. Palmer never heard of Dan Pena going to look him up thanks.

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics

Watch this. I think it's a problem of our generation since we take internet and computers for granted. Older generations are able to see it more as a tool. There is nothing inherently wrong with sitting in front of computer 8+ hours a day or not sitting in front of it at all. Some writers have written their novels in short burst whichs took days/weeks which required them to sit all that time. Did they ask whether it's normal or not? NO, no one gives a shit. Do what feels right.

You have to be honest with yourself though and evaluate whether the time you are spending on PC is indeed valuably spent, or you could do better. For me, there are days when the work I have done could have been completed in half the time if only I was more focused. Then these few hours saved can be spent walking outdoors, wandering and recharging yourself for next day. Everyone has their own style of working and it takes time to discover what truly works best for you.

You would also probably enjoy this book called The Daily Rituals - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307273601/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 . It describes in good detail how most famous artists, scientists, etc. have spent their work days and how everyone approached them differently. It was so eye-opening to me at least to see how diverse people are and that there is no one correct formula for doing anything.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
ChrisJTurner everything you said rings true with me thanks for the reminder.

I've got an app that should be complete in a few weeks that I paid a guy to make and I'm almost about to start a website for a niche product I want to sell just waiting for some tax information.

Yes its almost free living with my parents, but as soon as I can I'm moving out. My plan was like you said to use this time wisely. Just waiting for a passport which will take 4 months then I plan to jet off overseas.

Thinking back a year ago, I really have come a long way since then. Just got to keep going. I can watch TV shows when I am rich.

@H. Palmer never heard of Dan Pena going to look him up thanks.

There's a good chance that when you succeed, you may not want to watch TV.
I have not achieved full financial abundance just yet but I've formed a strong habit for not watching, I find it boring.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Have you got it in book form, I have no Kindle?

I'm sorry, no.

But if you go into Amazon, it's easy - and free - to download the Kindle app to your smartphone, iPad or PC.

Reads just as easily. In my opinion the Kindle is the best e-reader on the planet and this comes back in the app version.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
I'm sorry, no.

But if you go into Amazon, it's easy - and free - to download the Kindle app to your smartphone, iPad or PC.

Reads just as easily. In my opinion the Kindle is the best e-reader on the planet and this comes back in the app version.
I`ll download that then, didnt know I could get in on my iphone.

Thanks.

Sorry OP for hijacking thread :embarrased:

Clenrock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 14, 2014
Maybe think of buying a sit-stand desk. Sitting for 8 hours a day is pretty bad for you!

I bought one a month ago and it's great! It's good for your health +you are more productive ;)

Have a nice day!

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada

If it were me, personally, I'd use my parents and their beliefs to help keep me accountable for my time. Their idea of a 9-5 job is a vehicle to provide you with consistent income, stability and future potential by way of a career path. So prove to them that these are the same values you hold, even if you're taking a different approach to get them.

Show them your business and where you think this is going. How long have you been slaving away at this? How has your growth been? Can you trend it to show them that it's working and growing or not? What's the potential of your ebay biz? What are you doing to increase sales? What are the biggest obstacles that you're working to overcome to 'breakthrough' your current limitations?

My goals and aspirations far exceed those imposed on me by my parents or anything that a j-o-b could provide. If I'm not on the path to meeting their expectations of me, then I'm sure as hell not on the path to meeting my own goals.

If your questioning how much time you spend on the computer and your parents are pressuring you to get a job, then it sounds to me like you aren't doing enough to make something happen to create your success.

Just my 2 cents.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

Why?

I didn't know who Dan Pena was so I googled him.

He made his fortune during a time when the PC didn't exist.

Today he mentors entrepreneurs and offers courses., which I happened to find out about online.

The people who are responsible for creating the personal computer are some of the wealthiest people in the world (one actually is).

I think had he been born about 20 years ago he would be singing a very different tune.

So I have to say given the current information I gathered I strongly disagree with this statement.

P.S. Why is he not listed on Forbes Billionaire List despite being worth $50B?

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Why?

Today he mentors entrepreneurs and offers courses., which I happened to find out about online.

The people who are responsible for creating the personal computer are some of the wealthiest people in the world (one actually is).

I think had he been born about 20 years ago he would be singing a very different tune.

So I have to say given the current information I gathered I strongly disagree with this statement.

P.S. Why is he not listed on Forbes Billionaire List despite being worth $50B?

He created 50 billion in equity for his students who come to his seminars over 20+ years, hes worth something like 40 million he mentioned he owned 15% of his company when he took it public for 400m. He gives good advice though.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
He created 50 billion in equity for his students who come to his seminars over 20+ years, hes worth something like 40 million he mentioned he owned 15% of his company when he took it public for 400m. He gives good advice though.
Yeah when I read that he created a net worth of $50B, I thought it meant he was talking about his own net worth. Haven't decided whether I like him or not yet.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Why?

The "information" you say you have is not information at all, it's your own assumptions that came back to you typing a few keywords into Google. This is a perfect example of what Dan Pena is warning you for.

First, the PC has been widely available as a business tool since the mid-1980s. Dan Pena decided NOT to use it.

He started his own company around that time and brought it to the London stock market in 1985, creating 60 million dollars in 6 months.

What Pena means with "worst thing for entrepreneurs" is that the computer and the internet and - god forbid - smartphones these days are the ideal excuse for procrastination. It's the entrepreneur's version of watching the tube 12 hours per day.

The man is all about taking action and conquering your fears.

Of course he started using the computer in the 1990s, but that's not the point.

Just listening to an hour's interview with this guy is enough to fire you up for the whole day.

In this interview he explains exactly what he means, leaving the interviewer - who is a successful entrepreneur in his own right - almost bewildered.

http://empireflippers.com/podcast/danpena/

Last edited:

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
The "information" you have is not information, it's your own assumptions that came back to you typing a few keywords into Google. This is a perfect example of what Dan Pena is warning you for.

First, the PC has been widely available as a business tool since the mid-1980s. Dan Pena decided NOT to use it.

He started his own company around that time and brought it to the London stock market in 1985, creating 60 million dollars in 6 months.

What Pena means with "worst thing for entrepreneurs" is that the computer and the internet and - god forbid - smartphones these days are the ideal excuse for procrastination. It's the entrepreneur's version of watching the tube 6 hours per day.

Just listening to an hour's interview with this guy is enough to fire you up for the whole day.

In this interview he explains exactly what he means, leaving the interviewer - who is a successful entrepreneur in his own right - almost bewildered.

Podcast is gold
+ Rep

empireflippers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Mar 1, 2013
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
The "information" you say you have is not information at all, it's your own assumptions that came back to you typing a few keywords into Google. This is a perfect example of what Dan Pena is warning you for.

What Pena means with "worst thing for entrepreneurs" is that the computer and the internet and - god forbid - smartphones these days are the ideal excuse for procrastination. It's the entrepreneur's version of watching the tube 12 hours per day.

Thanks for sharing our interview with Dan Pena. Was a blast chatting with him and some great takeaways, IMO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.