The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Some personal insights about goal achievement

Anything related to matters of the mind

Steve W

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jun 7, 2012
A couple of days ago I decided to challenge myself to memorise (yep, that's how we spell it here in New Zealand) pi to 500 decimal places. If you don't know what pi is, go ask Google.

Anyway, frivalous as this is, I thought I'd share a few insights about goal achievement that have occurred to me during this challenge in the hope that someone may find them useful.

1. I had no idea if I would be able to do this.

Don't let being unsure if you can do something stop you from having a go. Take the first step then keep moving forward. Be prepared to make adjustments along the way as you learn and just get started. Now.

2. I have never considered myself as having a good memory.

Don't let any preconceived ideas you have about your abilities get in the way. How you perceive yourself may not necessarily be accurate. You won't know if you can do something until you try and you may surprise yourself.

3. The thought of memorising 500 digits was a bit overwhelming

Breaking a big job into smaller pieces makes it far less daunting. Break your large goal down into logical and do-able chunks and get working on the first one. As they say, the best way to eat a whale is one bite at a time... (disclaimer - no whales or other endangered species were eaten by me during this challenge).

4. The first 50 digits were the hardest

Working on your goal will probably be hard to start with but as you gain experience and refine your techniques the process becomes easier.

5. After nailing the first 100 digits, I knew without a doubt I could do the 500 (or many more if I so choose)

Success begets success and builds confidence. Set milestones (remember the logical chunks?) and use their achievement as motivation when facing the next challenge. You have done, therefore you can do more...

6. I'm not there yet but am making good progress

Achieving goals takes time and consistent effort. There is no overnight success, you must persevere to make achieving your goal possible.

So there it is. Not any sort of recipe for success by any stretch, but just a few observations I had that I hope might help someone...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.