The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to move to Scottsdale?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
hey guys. long time lurker. As far as beaches in Arizona , look up Lake Havasu city. One of the largest spring break spots in the world. They even moved a bridge from London there. Big joke. They thought they were getting the actual London bridge. Will be moving back there in a few months from cold a$$ Massachusetts. Lots of nascar and offroad teams make their homes there and just south in Parker Az. The climate is right for small businesses in Mohave County.

YES! The US leg of World Finals is at Lake Havasu as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Another observation that I wanted to mention... I foster dogs when I'm in AZ, namely German Shepherd dogs. They come from a very good rescue that treats them very well. Volunteers take the dogs out for walks and play with them daily. The problem is that are still living in a rescue home, inside a cage or crate. When they cannot find adopters or fosters for these dogs, they just live there, sometimes for over a year. They get better, but never get to their full potential.

When I foster a dog and bring them into my happy home, the changes in them are amazing. To me, it just shows what a good environment can do for them. They make complete 180 changes. The dog in my profile pic to the left, Phoebe, was my last foster. I could not even touch her below her neck without her crying and running off. 4 months later she was a normal acting, playful dog! Now she is with a loving couple in her permanent home.

I make this post, because I believe that people need the same thing. The big difference is that a dog cannot choose to move, but you can. You can choose to change your environment. I believe that deep inside, you will know "if" you need a change. Something inside you is burning telling you that your current living situation is just not right for you. Even if you aren't sure if Arizona or Texas is right for you, you should give a new place a shot. The worse possible outcome is that you move back to where you came from.
Wow! That is truly amazing what you do for the dogs. I bet seeing the change in them is an awesome feeling.

I defiantly have that "burning sensation" your talking about. Just something inside me is telling me that moving by myself and away from my parents for some time is the best option for me. Love my parents, but now its time for me build myself and see what I can truly accomplish.

Vladb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Feb 2, 2014
Vancouver
I'm thinking of moving in August for at least 6-12 months. I can't imagine leaving Vancouver, the coast and the ocean, the mountains, but I also can't imagine living in a paradise with palm trees, and I absolutely adore palm trees (being from Ukraine, I get giddy being around them). A temporary move, but never know what might happen.

My life is already changing thanks to this forum. I've just started working with Eskil on importing (what a rare, amazing person he is), and look forward to making more connections, but more importantly friends. Mayhaps I'll take your guys' money in poker some day soon. :)

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
And there is a French American school apparently .....
By any chance, anybody has kids enrolled in it ? ... ( got a little monkey who speaks only French )

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
YES! The US leg of World Finals is at Lake Havasu as well.

I was there in 2012 for that. lol. They also have the powerboat national and international races and jet boat races. Red bull sky races and parker 425 just south about 20 minutes . Used to live there and cant wait to get back. I have a custom furniture business I'll be bringing to town as well as running my uncles moving company part time till I set up a Store front. The area is starting to grow exponentially and the amount of well off individuals buying second homes there as tax shelters from CA are increasing. Lots of money in Mohave County and it's only getting better.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
mauimaphuge2.jpg

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Funny thing about that story ( not a funny story although who names their kid Koral Reef) is the amoeba that ate her brain is more commonly found in the swamps in florida. I've seen the story lately on Havasunews.com and officials doubt she contracted it there. Sad story. Side note- lived in Korona, Florida just north of Daytona for a while. People are strange down there . Knew a guy that had twin sons- named them David-Lee and Roth.

AlexanderCM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 10, 2013
Colorado
hey guys. long time lurker. As far as beaches in Arizona , look up Lake Havasu city. One of the largest spring break spots in the world. They even moved a bridge from London there. Big joke. They thought they were getting the actual London bridge. Will be moving back there in a few months from cold a$$ Massachusetts. Lots of nascar and offroad teams make their homes there and just south in Parker Az. The climate is right for small businesses in Mohave County.

They did get the actual London Bridge, the mistake was thinking the Tower Bridge was the London Bridge. The Tower Bridge was the one he (can't remember his name) wanted but he never actually made sure that was the London Bridge, so they sent the actual London Bridge. A very unimpressive sight if you ask me. ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
They did get the actual London Bridge, the mistake was thinking the Tower Bridge was the London Bridge. The Tower Bridge was the one he (can't remember his name) wanted but he never actually made sure that was the London Bridge, so they sent the actual London Bridge. A very unimpressive sight if you ask me. ;)

Did it fall down?

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone gotten a Tarantula in their house in AZ? Is that a thing? Scorpions sound bad enough...

Being from the northeast we don't take kindly to creepy crawlers and other critters, ha. I remember the first time I saw my first 'Roach on vacation in the USVI that thing startled the crap out of me. Man are those suckers quick.

I guess I'll take great weather, and a few critters over shit weather 200 days of the year. In the last 6 months we have had probably less than two weeks collectively of sunshine.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I guess I'll take great weather, and a few critters over shit weather 200 days of the year.

Hawaii has cockroaches and cane spiders, yet people still flock there.

I've never seen a scorpion or tarantula in my house in AZ, but I have seen them in California.

Worst I've seen is a rattlesnake when we hiked superstition. He was just slowing slithering across the trail and gave us a warning rattle when we got too close.

We don't have mosquitoes or bugs either. We literally leave our Patio door open almost all winter, and get almost 0 bugs.

Not sure who you've been talking to, but it's not like these creatures are hospitalizing people. :)

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Hawaii has cockroaches and cane spiders, yet people still flock there.

I've never seen a scorpion or tarantula in my house in AZ, but I have seen them in California.

Worst I've seen is a rattlesnake when we hiked superstition. He was just slowing slithering across the trail and gave us a warning rattle when we got too close.

We don't have mosquitoes or bugs either. We literally leave our Patio door open almost all winter, and get almost 0 bugs.

Not sure who you've been talking to, but it's not like these creatures are hospitalizing people. :)

Haha thanks for the clarification. AZ, NV, and TX are all on my list.

I don't know how much longer I can take this NE weather. It is just depressing.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hawaii also has Hawaiian centipedes. I met one once. Look up scolopendra subspinipes. That shit is serious. I had a 10 minute battle with one in our condo a few years back.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
yeah the bridge sucks but it connects the island. They have the atv nationals out on crazy horse out on the island as well as the dirt bike nationals . it's an odd town founded by a Canadian who hated Mexicans and felt Americans were lazy. he started a chainsaw factory and boat motor factory and started importing Canadian workers into a small town in the desert. I have Canadian family from Newfoundland that moved there and that's how i ended up out there for 6 months at a shot. Mccullogh Chainsaws was the company. Sterilite took over the old plants and makes those rubermaid tubs there now. If you are a boater, Off roader, hiker, mountain biker , airplane aficionado or just like hanging out with laid back people its a good place to be. little slice of paradise with a lot of potential and (tongue in cheek) the occasional nudity.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Hawaii also has Hawaiian centipedes. I met one once. Look up scolopendra subspinipes. That shit is serious. I had a 10 minute battle with one in our condo a few years back.

Now that is one SERIOUS critter. Ha-ha

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You have NO idea. The little F*cker looked at me, made a decision, and wrapped around my flip flop foot.

LVMont

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jan 14, 2014
Honestly, Arizona is a great place to live in. I live in Kingman,AZ and it's a great small town. I travel to phoenix area every now and then and I love it out there. I'm considering moving out there in the near future. I'm use to the summers (112+ degrees weather everyday). Born and raised in Vegas so this heat is nothing new to me.

Vladb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Feb 2, 2014
Vancouver
Anyone planning on going in a month or two? I'm looking to move up my timeline and move down in June. Would be good to find someone to split costs. Give me a shout if you're looking for the same!

Also, anyone from Canada that can advise on the move and how to explain it to immigration? I want to avoid any trouble that may cut my stay short, and I hear it may be a real issue if one's not careful. Any info on this would be very appreciated.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Anyone planning on going in a month or two? I'm looking to move up my timeline and move down in June. Would be good to find someone to split costs. Give me a shout if you're looking for the same!

Also, anyone from Canada that can advise on the move and how to explain it to immigration? I want to avoid any trouble that may cut my stay short, and I hear it may be a real issue if one's not careful. Any info on this would be very appreciated.

@TheTruth

Vladb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Feb 2, 2014
Vancouver
Gave him a shout yesterday, haven't heard back yet though. Figured I'll put out some feelers here.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Hey I got your pm, just getting a chance to answer you now.

So here is the thing, you are allowed to stay in the States for 6 Months (without a Visa) within 1 year (NOTE: I have been told that this has changed to 4 months now... please check on the government websites to make sure)

If you have never been stopped at the border before (and have travelled to the US before) it SHOULD be relatively easy.

When I did this, I told the customs border that I was staying for 2-3 months (just don't say 6 because it will look suspect). I was asked what I was doing (I said travelling - DO NOT MENTION BUSINESS - YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GO INTO THE STATES AND SAY YOU WILL BE SOLICITING BUSINESS)

They asked me what I do, I said "I have a video marketing agency which I can run as long as I have internet allowing me freedom to travel" I already had clients and products making me money before I went into the states. (SO everything I told them was true and I did not plan on breaking those rules)

I was allowed in.

I came back after 5 months and 28 days (I did not risk overstaying 6 months - MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS).

I recommend you go down and feel it out, see how you like it and go from there (1 step at a time).

After my stint I went back, tried for a visa etc. (TRUST me it was a headache and 3 halves. I got in border trouble etc etc.) - Granted I was part of a startup that went really south, really quick after a few things came to light. So my situation is peculiar, but it's still not a walk in the park to get a visa.

I would NOT do it without a lawyer. It will cost you roughly $3000 (I know because I paid one to draft my papers). I never ended up using them though.

In short, go down, not on business, feel it out and go from there :)

QUOTE="Vladb, post: 452103, member: 21371"]Anyone planning on going in a month or two? I'm looking to move up my timeline and move down in June. Would be good to find someone to split costs. Give me a shout if you're looking for the same!

Also, anyone from Canada that can advise on the move and how to explain it to immigration? I want to avoid any trouble that may cut my stay short, and I hear it may be a real issue if one's not careful. Any info on this would be very appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Vladb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Feb 2, 2014
Vancouver
Damn, this just got a little more complicated. Thanks for the lowdown man.

Do you have issues entering the US now as a result?

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
If anyone is looking for a soft landing in the Phoenix area, I could probably use a roommate or two. And as a bonus, you may have the house to yourselves for a few months, as I may have some forced travel coming up due to visa issues (similar to TheTruth's).

We have a big house with plenty of room for officespace, but it's sort of in the middle of nowhere, which is great if you're coming to do work and less great if you're coming for other things.

Vladb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Feb 2, 2014
Vancouver
If anyone is looking for a soft landing in the Phoenix area, I could probably use a roommate or two. And as a bonus, you may have the house to yourselves for a few months, as I may have some forced travel coming up due to visa issues (similar to TheTruth's).

We have a big house with plenty of room for officespace, but it's sort of in the middle of nowhere, which is great if you're coming to do work and less great if you're coming for other things.

When you say middle of nowhere, does that mean one would need a car to get anywhere?

When you say "we", how many folks do you mean? What's the rent like? I'm definitely considering, depending on how this immigration situation works out (would hate to not be able to come back).

Thanks for the info!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.