The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

site is being re-launched!

A

Anon3587x

I'm glad you brought this up with examples. . . I was literally just talking to somebody who commented that I needed to add some color to the top of the page.

If I was able to create a classic-looking, creative and innovative looking logo that was about 450pixels wide, I'm sure it would do wonders for the site.

I'd love to see what you're working on, goodluck with your fastlane venture as well!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
It's looking a lot better. I'd even go as far to say that you are nearly at that Minimum viable product stage.

It might be time to run some traffic at it and see how many conversions you receive.

A

Anon3587x

I just realized my register form was a little screwed up because I had a stupid space in 'sign up' and the code was set to submit if 'signup' was submitted. . .. tiskkkkk.....

@James - your site looks really clean, maybe I should do all the design and THEN the behind-the-scenes bs too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My problem is that I looked at your site for a min or 2 and I still dont know what you sell and how it works.

Agreed, even as it is now. If people can't figure out what you do in 5 seconds, you'll have an uphill battle.

everybody who hated on the design didn't even register an account and look at the logged in interface

That's because your design didn't compel anyone to look forward. If I'm not attracted to a girl, am I going to make a play to kiss her? Nope, I move on. Expecting people to "hate the design" and then register is counter intuitive to how people use the web. Registering is a function of liking what they see ... when they don't like what the see, or can't understand it in 5 seconds, the back button gets the play.

Yes but my last name is XXXXXX and it is easy to remember. Plus, it makes people think, what the hell is a batad?

This is a terrible way to create a brand. No one cares about your name. People care about what you can do for them, or, what "BatAds" can do for them. Personally, I hate the name because consumers naturally have a negative connotation/reaction to the word "ADS". (People generally have an avoidance towards ads: Think commercials, popups, banners, spam, etc.) -- having "ads" in your name, I believe, is another obstacle. Generally, you want to avoid names that have potential negative implications. BATS? What is that? What do bats (another possibly negative word) have to do with ads? Small business? Bats? You mean the mammal associated with Dracula, evil, and blood sucking? Would you buy the brand of hotdogs named Herpes Hot Dogs? Seriously, I can think of no worse name.

Additionally, your graphics look terrible, blurry, boring fonts -- they like they were done with MS Paint. If you want to attract professionals, you have to look professional. (The bottom half, below the fold, is a great improvement in terms of design)

Bringing Advertisers and Promoters together for mutually beneficial advertisement relationships online and in the real world.

This is your title tag. Seriously. Read it. WTF does it mean? I've read it 20 times and still can't make sense of it. Online and in the real world? What else is there? The fantasy world? What is a "mutually beneficial advertisement relationship"? Am I a promoter? Advertiser? Or both? Isn't advertising inherently suppose to be "mutually beneficial?" Instead of trying to sound corporate and important with such vague, ambiguous gobblygook, try rewriting this to express EXACTLY what you do.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is my take.

Last edited:
A

Anon3587x

This is a terrible way to create a brand. No one cares about your name. Personally, I hate the name because consumers naturally have a negative connotation/reaction to the word "ADS".

I do need to change it, and I'll put a misdirect to the new domain.

If anybody reading this has any ideas for a new name I'm all open. I'm currently brain storming new names and I'll have it changed asap.

Additionally, your graphics look terrible, blurry, boring fonts -- they like they were done with MS Paint. If you want to attract professionals, you have to look professional. (The bottom half, below the fold, is a great improvement in terms of design)

lol, most of them were made with paint. :(
But I do have gimp, I suppose I should start using it more.

This is your title tag. Seriously. Read it. WTF does it mean? I've read it 20 times and still can't make sense of it. Online and in the real world? What else is there? The fantasy world? What is a "mutually beneficial advertisement relationship"? Am I a promoter? Advertiser? Or both? Isn't advertising inherently suppose to be "mutually beneficial?" Instead of trying to sound corporate and important with such vague, ambiguous gobblygook, try rewriting this to express EXACTLY what you do.

It says 'online and in the real world' because some people didn't know if the ads on the site were online or offline, and I wanted to try and make it clear we had both.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is my take.

It's okay, I don't mind blunt so long as I'm also being offered helpful solutions. Thanks MJ

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
I suggest a keyword rich domain, if you want to have a good shot at seo. billboardblast.com isn't taken.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Davidla:

When it comes to explaining what my site does, I run into problems because it is for people who are buying advertising space, and selling advertising space. I try not to make an explanation one sided because I do not want to scare off somebody on the other side of the spectrum.

Through all this, I've learned design and proper descriptions of the site are just as important as the site itself. . . Sheesh . . ....

About the problem of explaining what the site does to both buyers of ads and sellers, take a look at how Flippa.com tackles it.

Seperate explanation and "landing" pages for buyers and sellers.
Gotta focus on something, otherwise everyone might end up confused.

Figure out what channels your customers are going to follow to get to your website. The marketing efforts (online and offline) to get buyers of ad space and sellers of ad space, are likely to be different. If you will be going after keywords like "sell ad space online" and "Rent your billboard" for sellers, they should land on a different page from buyers coming from keywords like: "Buy online ads" etc.

A

Anon3587x

They're many competing sites that are similar.

What I'm starting to think though, is when it comes to advertising people are lazy and want you to do it for them. I'm getting way better conversion rates now that my landing page looks better. . . I'll just see what happens and adjust as I go.

Thanks for bringing that site to my attention.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

Chicago_DSM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Mar 14, 2011
Iowa City / Chicago
I noticed nobody has really touched on one HUGE factor that is seriously affecting your credibility: Your social media pages.

Facebook

Landing Page
Your Facebook needs a MAJOR overhaul. The landing page should present a clear call to action (LIKE the page) with an incentive to do so. OK, you have a Bat holding a banner. Am I going to receive an immediate benefit for liking your page? How about an exclusive offer?

I recommend outsourcing the creative. I applaud you at your effort, but your MS Paint graphic and copy/pasted bat illustration screams unprofessional. Lastly, Facebook has since replaced the Static FBML app with iFrames. Your current FBML app takes you to the Photobucket account your picture is hosted on.

I use this app instead. And so do 55+ million other users ;)
Static HTML: iframe tabs | Facebook

Next, content. What is your purpose behind having a Batads.com page? For SEO? Because everyone else has one? If either of those are your answers I recommend removing the page immediately. A brand's Facebook page should engage, add value, be relevant, communicate with fans, and influence people to purchase products/services without directly selling.

You are in the ONLINE MARKETING industry. Your Facebook page should reflect your knowledge on new media topics, advertising trends or at the least show you know ANYTHING about Marketing. Consider asking questions to encourage interaction. The more people interact with your page = the higher your edge rank = the more eyes will see it. Your wall is cluttered with outgoing SPAM messages by you to other Las Vegas network Facebook pages. Looks pretty sketch.

Twitter

Unless you are re-tweeting thought-provoking posts from notable Marketing gurus/news sources, you should be tweeting special offers or other engaging content. Remember, the voice you use through social media (from the tone/language of the writing to the way you communicate with fans) all contribute to people's perception of your brand. My honest recommendation is to take your twitter down.

Blog

BatAds Advertising Connections

If you have nothing of value to share, don't share at all. Your blog is filled with uneducated (and slightly ignorant) opinions. For instance, in:

Facebook update needs to learn from Myspace’s mistakes.

You discuss why the new changes are annoying and confusing from a personal standpoint, rather than from a functionality standpoint. There were very specific reasons behind an interface update, and in fact it is about to change AGAIN.

And in:

I noticed nobody has really touched on one HUGE factor that is seriously affecting your credibility: Your social media pages.

Facebook

Landing Page
Your Facebook needs a MAJOR overhaul. First, the landing page is not very creative, or influential. The landing page should present a clear/immediate call to action and an incentive to do so. OK, you have a Bat holding a 'Like this' banner, but WHY should I like this page? Am I going to receive an immediate benefit to do so? Exclusive offers?

I recommend outsourcing the creative. I applaud you at your effort, but your MS Paint graphic and copy/pasted bat illustration scream unprofessional. Lastly, Facebook has since replaced the Static FBML app with iFrames. Your current FBML app takes you to the Photobucket account your picture is hosted on.

I use this app instead. And so do 55+ million other users ;)
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=190322544333196

Next, content. What is your purpose behind having a Batads.com page? To make it more searchable? Because everyone else has one? If either of those are your answers I recommend removing the page immediately. A brand's Facebook page should engage, add value, be relevant, communicate with fans, and influence people to purchase products/services without directly selling.

You are in the ONLINE MARKETING industry. Your Facebook page should reflect your knowledge on new media topics, advertising trends or at the least show you know ANYTHING about Marketing. Yours serves no purpose. Consider asking questions to encourage interaction. The more people interact with your page, the higher your edge rank will be, the higher your unique impression counts (the more eyes see it). All you are using it for is to SPAM other Las Vegas network Facebook pages. Looks pretty sketch.

Twitter

Unless you are re-tweeting thought-provoking posts from notable Marketing gurus/news sources, you should be tweeting special offers and. Remember, the voice you use through social media (from the tone/language of the writing to the things you actually say to fans) all contribute to people's perception of your brand. My honest recommendation is to take your twitter down.

Blog

http://batads.com/advertisingblog/

If you have nothing of value to share, don't share at all. Your blog is filled with uneducated (and slightly ignorant) opinions. For instance, in:

You discuss why the new changes are annoying and confusing from a personal standpoint, rather from a functionality standpoint. There were very specific reasons behind an interface update, and in fact it is about to change AGAIN.

In your How To: Advertising Slogans. Well. I don't even know where to start. Full of misinformation and overly general explanations.

Additionally, your wordpress template needs some customization. It is clear you are using a default header and have virtually no widgets or menu bars.

My recommendation is you take down the blog as well. At least for the time being. People WILL click-through to your blog, and I guarantee it will hurt your credibility.

------------------

My honest opinion: I feel that you had the right idea in implementing MJ's business model. However, your lack of knowledge in the media space/buying industry is painfully obvious. Advertiser vs. Promoter? This is where the confusion lies. I still don't understand the difference. A promoter is advertising. An advertiser could be promoting. I recommend doing serious research into the correct terminology for these topics.

I hope you have found this helpful. I didn't mean to insult you. I just hate to see you invest your time and efforts in the wrong areas. Good luck!

- Josh

A

Anon3587x

I was just hoping to get a quick rank with that facebook post and maybe a jet steam of traffic.
I recommend doing serious research into the correct terminology for these topics.

It's true, I'm not a scholar of advertising termonology. I just seen the oppurtunitie and I'm trying to put the system in place.
Advertiser vs. Promoter? This is where the confusion lies. I still don't understand the difference.
The way I look at it, Advertisers want to advertise, and promoters have space to 'promote' for the advertisers. If anyone can word that better, let me know.

The social media pages are there just to create a web presence. I have not been taking them too serious, but I suppose I need to step it up.

Most of the issues I've had so far are due to my tendency of over simplifying everything and trying to launch a site for a new concept.

Thanks for your feedback, I will work on these things.

A

Anon3587x

In my own defense, the site has greatly improved from when I first started this thread. I just keep adjusting as I go.

Komelika

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 25, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Hey, I'm no content expert and I haven't read your entire thread, but I think you have a great idea. You aren't necessarily competing with the "big boys" in my opinion. You have a niche opportunity to market to people that can't necessarily afford high end, costly advertising. It could be the handyman that needs to get his name out there. You build enough customer base and who knows maybe you get bought out and bam, your in the fastlane. Keep at it!

Maybe give some examples on your page for the average costs of advertising through your channels from low to high. People on a shoestring budget might not want to register just to find out of they can or can't afford it, but if they see that tey can within a few seconds then it will entice them to explore further. Good luck!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I think the changes you made are great!!! When I you first launched the page, I had no idea what you were trying to sell. Now I know exactly what it is and the page makes me want to sign up as soon as I get my webpage up. Awesome changes. It's a lot more clearer now and way more professional looking.

My honest opinion: I feel that you had the right idea in implementing MJ's business model. However, your lack of knowledge in the media space/buying industry is painfully obvious.

I do have to agree with this though. You need to learn as much as you can about the online advertising industry. You can't get into something without learning as much as you possibly can about it. My fastlane plan is to create and manufacture new products. I did months of reading and research before even attempting to get started. It's really the only way to go or you will be in way over your head.

Good Luck! Keep it up!

Chicago_DSM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Mar 14, 2011
Iowa City / Chicago
I was just hoping to get a quick rank with that facebook post and maybe a jet steam of traffic.

The social media pages are there just to create a web presence. I have not been taking them too serious, but I suppose I need to step it up.

This shows. If you do not take social media seriously, than how are you supposed to gain the trust of advertisers?

Your social media pages should be an extension of your brand. Right now your lack of enthusiasm (and knowledge) in your content is throwing up RED flags left and right.

Once again, I am impressed with your efforts. I realize you are doing everything possible to drive traffic to your website, but I will restate what I said earlier. If you created social media pages for that only reason, delete them now -OR- hire somebody to run them.

Good luck!

jbuckingham

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 18, 2011
CA
You're making a great effort and accepting the criticism that you've asked for. In that respect, you're very coachable . Keep it up. I might say that I agree with getting yourself some graphics/creative help. Getting a logo made is pretty cheap these days and it will add a perception of professionalism. Also, pay close attention to things like spelling, grammar and punctuation. Have someone else look over your copy for you before you post it.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Your website is good enough, it's simple and easy to use...BUT I really didn't know why I should have tried your service over another service.

After reading your post I learned that you are actually putting people together and not actually doing the advertising. You need to make that very clear because when I saw your site I put you into the online advertising middleman category.

I think your idea can work. Just start getting users and get their feedback on what they like and dislike.

Keep taking the criticism because it will make you and your product stronger. I'm currently going through this right now with my online software product.

Its taken almost 1 year of trial and error but now that I'm actually worrying about clients not so much on the look and functionality my client base has been growing.

I've just been immediately fixing problems as they come up from actual paying clients instead of trying to anticipate problems.

I love this thinking. Thanks.

A

Anon3587x

I read a really thorough SEO book and boy did I realize I needed to make some changes to my site.

If you wouldn't mind skimming my landing page and checking out the SEO work I did, or suggest some better keywords that would be great!

A

Anon3587x

Sites design has been updated again version 5.0.
I'm really happy with how it looks now.

I also added some more functionality in the user face. This hasn't been easy but I'm happy with the progess.

Feedback appreciated.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Are you really featured in CNN, Fox News, Wall Street Journal, etc..?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.