The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shared Portfolio

Anything related to investing, including crypto

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
below is a listing of what holdings my portfolios contain. This is a long term strategic porftolio that is hopefully designed to counteract the US$ demise and to capture the expanding global markets.

We live in an age where we can capitalize on world markets unlike only a decade ago we were not as apt to invest overseas as easily as today. A click of the button and you can buy traded symbols from all over the world including Norway, Brazil, Israel among many others.

Another revelation in recent years is that world economic health was practically entirely dependent upon the USA whereas today that is no longer true since other countries are growing leaps and bounds and as private investors, we are able to participate in that arena. Predictibly, the vast majority of the growth around the world has affected the commodities markets including natural resources, metals and building materials. And oil & ng. Especially oil and NG.

So here, I limit my holdings to no more than 20 at any given time. I can tell you that just a few years ago, I was heavily margined and only held a few securities which was a strategy undertaken to grow my portfolio but now that my philosophy has changed since the portfolio has grown significantly and not to mention that I am managing other family members` monies, I have taken a more conservative approach and my diversity in conjunction with my heavy cash position allows me to sleep at night.

I sell my losers fast - they typically are stopped out between 7-10%. My winners are sold only when the fundamentals change. Several stocks I have bought and when fundamentals changed, I would sell about 75% of the position.

Year to date, I am up 13.265% on the entire portfolio including the cash which translates into approximately 25% YTD. Excluding the cash position, my return on investments is approximately 50% annualized and my goal is 25%. I wont be counting my eggs just yet, since theres another 6 months to go in 2008.... and a lot of news, both good and bad are staring us down...

I have been trading in and out of gold and silver for some moronic reason but ultimately I am very, very bullish on the precious metal sector. I am also very bullish on the oil drilling sector now that oil has been steadily over $100bbl for several months now.

I fell asleep at the wheel when Marine Harvest took its nose dive and that should have been sold early on.

Symbol Gain(%) %of portfolio
  • LGHEF 0.04%
  • MDNNF 18.00% 1.19%
  • MNHVF 49.61% 2.74%
  • AOB -7.80% 1.96%
  • DSSPF -6.59% 2.53%
  • GREXF -6.42% 1.77%
  • AMAT -0.20% 2.33%
  • FUQI 1.40% 2.80%
  • PKI 1.79% 1.66%
  • PSEC 5.05% 0.01%
  • BKC 8.99% 1.81%
  • MATK 15.92% 0.53%
  • FDG 17.14% 4.33%
  • SVMFF 18.59% 2.93%
  • ONAV 49.55% 1.28%
  • MEAOF 51.07% 0.93%
  • SDRLF 90.36% 13.74%
  • GDOCF 151.38% 9.46%
  • AUYAV 4.00% 1.39%
  • CASH 0.00% 46.55%

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I have sold BKC yesterday and added to Golden Ocean Freight (GDOCF)...

GDOCF announced a .55 dividend. 29% yield at current pricing. Need I say more?

i will also be adding to FDG in upcoming week(s)

Do your own DD.

R

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
added even more Golden Ocean (GDOCF) today... it's up 15% on the day after a Norwegian analyst gave a nice rating...

I am catching it on the upswing after taking a beating in the last week, but I'll take it. It's still annualized income better than anything else I have in my portfolio.

Also sold FUQI for a 5% gain. Not interested in the mo-mo plays.

R

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Randallg99, I think it is very cool you are doing this.
You mentioned you sell your losers fast. Do you have this as a rule so there is an automated "Sell" if prices dropped 10%? or you track this and sell "manually"?
Rep++ for posting this information.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Randallg99, I think it is very cool you are doing this.
You mentioned you sell your losers fast. Do you have this as a rule so there is an automated "Sell" if prices dropped 10%? or you track this and sell "manually"?
Rep++ for posting this information.

thanks for the rep and I am glad to do this. Some strategies on this forum are very helpful to those who want to manage their money. Kidgas and Edge have excellent strategies and they obviously work.

my "rule" is simple.... my long term purchases will have a larger risk tolerance. I can withstand up to 15% (if not more) losses which is not all that unusual in this current volatile market. See my recent purchase of GoldenOcean that dropped over 20% since my last additional purchase, but instead of selling it, I added even more knowing that the fundamentals will continue to drive the price upwards (eventually)... and today was a nice shot upwards. It's also easier to absorb some capital losses if you are getting income from the stock such as a few of my largest holdings (GDOCF, FDG, SDRL)

now, companies I bought for any combo of fundamentals, sector rotation, "play money" will all have less tolerance for losses and depending on the market environment the "sell rule" will vary from 5-10%. And this is a rule I stick by without fail. And to partly answer the question, largely traded stocks will get a stop loss order btwn 7-9% once I acquire/fill out the position. More importantly, this stop loss ratchets up as the stock goes up.

that said, one main caveat is some of the holdings are very thinly traded and my holdings can amount to a significant part of the whole days' worth of volume which can unfairly disrupt the value with a block sale.... so a 10% stop loss has to be used with caution and is mental rather than automatic so it can be done a little bit more delicately

at the risk of sounding like typical textbook advice ... there really is no right or wrong answer to this question ... but time and time again has proven that the biggest winners in the markets are the ones who cut their losses early and methodically.

last point - if I have a holding that goes above 15% quickly, I will generally sell about 75% of the entire position to lock in the gain. The remaining 25% will have an adjusted stop loss and will capture any further upside.

A lot of my holdings are in tax deferred accounts and losses are not tax deductible so the tolerance for losses is very very small.... using the above strategy I am up almost 12% YTD which is annualized at 25%. (vs. the S&P, I look like a genius for now, but I lost some sleep along the way and it aint over till the fat lady sings)

R

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
definitely happy with results today. . I am in excellent position to make good buys after this carnage ends... since posting originaly port, I sold AMAT, AOB, FUQI, PKI, BKC, MATK, MEAOF... then added DRYS and TGA

still about 45% cash. Have margin avail in 2 of the accounts.

have an eye for DNR - still doing DD... not sure about pulling trigger in this environment....

by the way, read some very fascinating stuff today about the Sauds committment to producing more oil which prompts some interesting trivia-

how much water is Saud pumping underground daily to push the oil up?

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
update- I bought slugs of FRE on Friday and traded several times... did not intend to hold any over the weekend, but still left in one of the accounts a couple thousand shares that did not get unloaded .... very lucky for me that Paulson and Company saved the day.

any significant strength in financials is perfect selling opportunity and SKF becomes yet the perfect buy.

I think Uncle Sam just ran out of money to save anyone else....

All JMHO

R

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
funny reading that a year ago I said I wouldn't get into the mo-mo plays.... but it's ironic that the money I have made this year has come from intermediate term holds and following very methodical steps in protecting my gains and capturing gains.

observations
  • The ones underlined are my holdings of more than a year.
  • The long term gains were taken and I'm saving these losses for end of year selling.
  • SDRLF is showing a 9% uptick in Oslo right now, so it's about break even (finally)
  • The bold tickers were all bought within the past several months (with exception of DRYS)
  • my largest holdings by far are ANH, CMO, NLY and WAC - this sector is in the sweetest of sweet spots.
  • It's not all that exciting, but the carry trade on yield curve is virtually guaranteed to make gobs of cash in this interest rate curve environment.
  • I make anywhere between zero and several trades per day using triggers and stops so not listed are the multitude of trades I made - both profitable and unprofitable
  • the mistakes I made- I held too long the short term trades, and I also in certain cases made the stop losses too tight. For example, MCD was bought and sold at 5% stop loss only to go up another 15% from where I originally bought it. Had my stop loss been at 7% then I would have not sold and thus captured the gain. I have done this several times.
  • another mistake, I placed several very large trades based upon my convictions instead of following my methodologies and this cost me a lot of money. I could have potentially been up over 100% by now if it weren't for these mistakes
  • Deviating from the plan is costly and doomed to fail
in summary, the momentum of buying stocks on upswings have proven to be much more profitable than holding "long term"

this has been a learning experience since my brain was always wired for "long term" investing

this is a compilation of my trading accounts and it's up 55% YTD

Symbol Gain(%)

• [*]LGHEF --
    [*]MDNNF --
    [*]OCNF -76.41
    [*]GDOCF -68.38
    [*]PSEC -39.54
    [*]GREXF -29.78
    [*]SDRLF -13.04

• THOR -10.68
  • PETS -10.17
  • EBR -2.65
  • DRYS -1.7
  • ADVS -0.38
  • NLY -0.36
  • DX 0.51
  • ANH 6.56
  • CMO 11.89
  • ADM 12.35
  • EBIX 19.93
  • WAC 34.53
  • Symbol
  • MFEBX
  • MMUBX
  • MMUFX
  • MWOBX

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
many of my "momentum" picks have come directly from the Investors' Business Daily "stocks on the move" website.... Of all the tools and screeners I have used over the years, this has been most useful.

Investors.com - Stocks On The Move

I try to keep this page open as it refreshes throughout the trading day .

Those who are looking to trade will find this most useful and will make money from it like I have. (no, I do not work for IBD and receive no compensation from IBD)

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I've mentioned several times throughout the forum that I've followed stocks on the move courtesy of investors.com .... I was happy to open today's top 5 list of stocks on the move and find that I own 3 of the 5 and was stopped out of a 4th and actually considered buying the 5th at one point before.

Stocks being BOUGHT heavily by institutional investors. Click icons for analysis.
Learn More Last Update: 7/27/2009 (Market Close)
Symbol Company Price Price Chg. Price % Chg. Volume % Chg. IBD Tools
NRGY Inergy L P 29.7 0.54 1.85% 83%
AMMD American Med Systms Hldg 16.99 0.52 3.16% 63%
ADM Archer Daniels Midland 31.94 1.55 5.10% 49%
JJSF J & J Snack Foods Corp 43.17 1.33 3.18% 47%
ADVS Advent Software Inc 36 0.58 1.64% 37%

utilizing a strong combination of fundamentals with technicals has been the most revealing road to my success as my portfolios are exponentionally outperforming the major indices.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
here's an update. I am not recommending any buys. I really believe MBS Reits are in the sweetest spot they could possibly be.... I've been trading them but should have held them in my accounts. Recently sold ANH and CMO for handsome profits but should have held. Now I am abour 95% invested.

WAC just announced a secondary and I'll buy enough shares to put my account into margin tomorrow depending on the price.

Several of these are ex-div and do not reflect the cash coming. Regards

Symbol Gain(%) % of port
GDOCF -62.69 2.74%
PSEC -24.96 0.02%
GREXF -20.63 2.94%
NAT -4.46 6.05%
VRX -2.06 4.63%
FSC -0.18 4.48%
OMI 1.51 5.77%
GRRF 2.19 1.80%
EJ 2.54 5.70%
DK 2.66 5.92%
DRYS 3.43 6.10%
MAKO 4.84 6.21%
WNS 6.9 2.78%
HOGS 14.32 3.95%
CIM 16.95 11.49%
CIM 7.77 6.49%
CIM 31.5 4.99% 22.97%
MFA 17.02 0.43%
SDRLF 24.53 4.66%
VNR 24.87 9.08%
VNR 23.89 1.82%
VNR 25.12 7.27% 18.16%
WAC 33.63 7.33%
NLY 39.23 4.55%
BYDDF 61.43 1.57%

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
many of my "momentum" picks have come directly from the Investors' Business Daily "stocks on the move" website.... Of all the tools and screeners I have used over the years, this has been most useful.

Investors.com - Stocks On The Move

I try to keep this page open as it refreshes throughout the trading day .

Those who are looking to trade will find this most useful and will make money from it like I have. (no, I do not work for IBD and receive no compensation from IBD)

IBD rules. I second your recommendation. Thanks for the update and congrats on such impressive gains.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I sold everything on Thursday 12/31/09 except for the following which comprised of almost 25% of my total portfolio:
NLY
SDRLF
VNR

The bottom two stocks listed are great because they're basically free. After I made a large return on the initial investment, I sold off the rest. The best part is that these largest positions all pay very nice dividends and will do so for quite a while.

I thought we were going into a sell off in the beginning of the year. So the rest of the portfolio went out the window.

So, I got agressive with several stocks and bought in rather large positions in the morning as we saw strength and nice volume, especially with Chinese stocks:

UTA
WATG
ZSTN

And if luck is all we need then bam I landed in it big time today.... I almost met my monthly goal in just the very first day of trading in Jan. (ZSTN jumped 10%)

Still about 60% cash, and continue to keep tight stop losses on all holdings no matter what.

I will probably own 100 +/- stocks this year. I'll own a lot less if the first 10 I buy all continue to rise, but we know what happens in this game. Stocks go up and down. I want to own only the ones that go up ;)

The way you make money in this market is letting your winners run and selling losers and selling them FAST. And don't look back. This was very effective for me in 2009.

This strategy is the very foundation for my achieving some of my goals for 2010. The slight modification I am making to my plan for 2010 is that I will pursue momentum trading more often and I will deploy options.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Nice stuff.

I'd like to hear your rationale behind keeping such a large amount in cash.

For someone who seems to make good money in the markets, is it just that there aren't enough opportunities, or is holding cash the same to you as going short, or something I'm missing?

ps: I've done well with one of my Chinese picks as well RINO, would love your thoughts on that one. RINO International Corporation - Google Finance

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Nice stuff.

I'd like to hear your rationale behind keeping such a large amount in cash.

For someone who seems to make good money in the markets, is it just that there aren't enough opportunities, or is holding cash the same to you as going short, or something I'm missing?

ps: I've done well with one of my Chinese picks as well RINO, would love your thoughts on that one. RINO International Corporation - Google Finance

Investors.com - Quotes

IBD rates it highly and yesterday was an institutional buying day only leading it to better things to come (hopefully)

I also at one point traded HEAT which is also a chinese play on industrial infrastructure growth.

China in general is very chic and there's a lot of momentum there. (which is why almost half my stock holdings are chinese companies in the first day of 2010)

Unfortunately for us foreign investors, we are subject to only the info provided. Many times the companies are not properly recording expenses, profits, sales, etc.... and many times company releases for earnings and other news are outdated. The transparency we get in USA/Canada is one aspect we have taken for granted, so we just have to be careful and I keep tight stop losses on my Chinese holdings.

the large amount in cash is designed so I can play higher beta stocks with more risk i.e. UTA. ZSTN, WATG among others that I am considering buying today.

The cash hedges my risk: should a black swan event occur, I will be able to scoop up values. Letting winners run and then having flexibility to find other winners is really my game plan.

My ultimate goal is to have huge returns on every pick, but that's not realistic thus selling losers fast will keep the account liquid until I find homes for it.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
just an intraday update. I bought HEAT earlier today after revisiting it when JonLeeHacker mentioned RINO (THANKS! it's up 5% since my buy earlier today)

I am considering adding a block to my NLY position on any weakness. It appears NLY is being glanced by institutions and masses alike. A nice ride from here to low 20's and collecting dividends along the way is a nice pay day.

Also examining HOGS once again as a position, but waiting.

IOC might be a possible short, but concerned about this momentum trading. It's a parabolic chart and it's due for correction. When? I don't know.

oil reports show a LOT of inventory, so I am surprised that VNR is staying firm.

mortgage demand and housing report the other day still compelling evidence overall economy still in dumper and investing in spreads/carry trades and in places like China has more upside potential.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
overseas took a dump last night.
we'll probably have a soft opening.
but as Globalwealth among others have alluded, there's a lot of potential cash waiting to enter equities.... and this is the biggest disconnect of them all.

many expectations that life long wall streeters base their trading on is historical activity. But things really are different in this market this go around.

we have seen so many disconnects in this market. bonds, fx, treasuries, commodities, unemployment, bankruptcies, municipal defaults, huge looming tax increases etc... and the DOW is at 10,500 and S&P is above 1100. wow.

can someone explain why oil at it's highest inventory levels in history is still trading at 80+/-?

or why the monetizing of US debt has kept gold below 1500? or even 2000?

hey, how about why industrial metals are still trading at lofty levels?

2 of the largest components of the economy are significantly down: housing and auto so how do we justify the market's levels today?

answer: we don't justify it. and we won't fight it.

is this solution...?
do not buy with conviction as I've done for years (and got burned terribly 2 years ago thinking financial sector was going out of business) but instead, buy what's "hot" and keep stop losses tight.

we've only had 3 trading days so far in January and I have already made awesome gains and I am keeping all my holdings at 8% trailing stop losses.

we're all sitting on a table with a cracked leg that's about to give. Protection via puts and stop losses is crucial. apologies for the gloomy rant.... have a nice day :smxF:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
can someone explain why oil at it's highest inventory levels in history is still trading at 80+/-?

or why the monetizing of US debt has kept gold below 1500? or even 2000?

hey, how about why industrial metals are still trading at lofty levels?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that China is skillfully accumulating.

answer: we don't justify it. and we won't fight it.

Agree completely. I've nicknamed my latest entry technique "hockey stick investing" - perfect for Canadians ;)

Look for a chart that has a clear hockey stick pattern - the longer and straighter the better - and buy with a tight stop... has worked well lately.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I aggressively traded about 10 different names this week alone. Sold off some NLY which has been a long time core holding. I had bought and sold ZSTN 4 different times! the volatility is unreal.

after today's unemployment report, I will be nosediving into the MBSReit sector again.... theory is rates will continue to stay low.

Current portfolio, up almost 3% in one week. (wowser!!!) nice way to start the year in this first week of trading for the new year!!! I sold some IOC calls way too early, I thought it was time for the stock to roast, but man there's a lot of momentum there. I left a few grand on the table in just a couple of days trading.

holdings as of close 1/8/2010:

LGHEF 0.00%
MDNNF 0.50%
TYL 6.10%
CGA 4.96%
UTA 10.42%
LIWA 5.09%
WATG 5.16%
HEAT 5.04%
ZSTN 5.79%
NLY 3.44%
SDRLF 5.15%
VNR 11.42%
CASH US 36.93%

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I gave everything back I earned in the first week... and it's these kinds of weeks that makes PeptoBismol a hot seller. Down .74% ytd.

MLPs in all sectors appear to have been the mainstream choice to dump thus my VNR went out of the port. I will gladly pick it back up again in near future as their prospects are tremendous.

I read an article about Chinese economy, and for all investors we really have to be careful. The Chinese gov't is really driving the economy. but the main difference btwn US and Chinese gov't is that Chinese have cash on hand thus the safer investment at this time, but this is a bubble in the making.

I am disappointed I lost money this week, but the stop losses prevented a bad week from being a horrible week.

upcoming only a 4 days for trading. Monday's closed for MLK observance.

Here are holdings this week. The stop losses have been effective, but I should have kept some money in the AMReit sector to offset the volatility.

LGHEF
MDNNF
KHD
CGA
TYL
MFB
NLY
SDRLF

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
oh lordee.

I took a bath this past week. The only saving grace was a handful of IOC June OTM calls that doubled overnight earlier in the week and glad I sold when I did. Otherwise I would have been really underwater for the week.

the last 2 weeks have been incredible. A real wild swing from being up tremendously to being down even bigger... this 4.98% net swing in 9 trading days is very, very nauseating. Many stop losses kicked in and there's a wad of cash in the account ready for deployment at the right time.

I did not use the SPX puts as I had intended on placing a week ago with the thought that the Mass. elections would have spurred a bull market with defeats of a healthcare bill being a popular notion on wall st.

I am missing my goal big time, but the nice thing is I have another 49 weeks to catch up :) The IBD states as one of the rules that many of the gains typically occur in just a short period of time during the year. It's important to be there to capture that time.

I am sticking to my plan of achieving my goals and here are some musings:

The markets have been racing upward for 11 months and that's a very long time, historically speaking for a bull market.

The recent tremendous volume during the past 2 down weeks indicates institutions are exiting the markets.

The IBD confirms this is a market in correction.

The stocks that have gone up the fastest are the ones that will drop the fastest.

It appears that every sector has turned down. This indicates to me that we're really in a bear market and we've just experienced a euphoric yet furious bear market fake.

buy and hold strategy is not a viable plan at this time. This is really becoming a trading market both long and short. Volatility is upon us again.

The stocks that are good values now will become better values soon. (low ball bid partially filled on VNR is perfect example, IMO)

YTD -2.19% (Dow and S&P are -2.1% while Nasdaq is -2.8%)

LGHEF 0.00%
MDNNF 0.05%
KHD 8.25%
VIV 8.83%
VNR 2.48%
NLY 3.48%
SDRLF 4.62%
CASH 71.83%

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Current portfolio stands to be heavily cash and still managed to lose over a 100 basis points. WTF!

LGHEF 0.00%
MDNNF 0.50%
WATG 1.55%
FXI 7.92%
AVT 5.46%
VNR 2.72%
NLY 3.59%
SDRLF 4.71%
CASH 73.55%

You want to see the gem of the day? There actually happens to be a real hole in my head. I violated every rule when investing when I sold the biggest gainer in my portfolio many moons ago.

While compiling tax info, I came across a buy I had in 2008, but sold just a few months later. (Only to continuously buy and sell along the way which is the saving grace but nontheless I left serious gobs of cash on the table)

Description Trans type Open date Adj cost per share
VANGUARD NATURAL RESOURCES (VNR) Sell. 12/23/2008 4.72

We're looking at a lot of pressure on the markets. There are many valid reasons for the downturn. The days have seemed to start strong with decent volume only to have that volume accelerate into weakness. This is a very big tell tale sign that big money is liquidating. IBD has repeatedly determined this is a market in correction. Better safe than sorry and I will not fight the market.

For the week I was down 1.62% (augh, that knot in the stomach hurts)
YTD down 3.77%

Keeping an eye on overall indices is important. Dow and S&P are both down approx 3.5-3.75% YTD while Nasdaq is down over 5% YTD.

Upcoming week has important data being released in regards to personal spending and personal savings. It's my belief and opinion only that we'll see a very discouraging outlook resulting from consumer spending pressure. For the sakes of the economy and most peoples' financial well-being, I hope I am wrong.

I will be rebuilding my MBS portfolio in the upcoming weeks as we approach the next round of dividend announcements.

Looking forward to better days indeed and good luck to us all.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
a mid week update: I waved in some ANH in a big way. The dividend yield is simply astonishing and the company announced a buyback. This is the lowest leveraged MReit and IMHO it's a smart business strategy. With so much government intervention and manipulation, it appears a lower levered company is prudently run. I've owned it in the past and the management is astute as it gets in this business. Very shrewd but do not expect a high flier with this company. It is a conservative money thrower. Do your own DD.

VNR (an MLP btw) is having a very unrealistic run up. At these prices, the yield is at 8.5%+/- so we are now witnessing the yield chasing environment because the risk factor for me to own the stock should remain at 10%+ but price appreciation is driving down the yield.

As the millions of Americans sit with their financial planners to discuss how in 2010 they're gonna get that income they used to enjoy from bonds, the dolts in blue suits with little clue how MLPs and MBS work are gonna whip out 5,000 slides and charts and show how the yields from these companies are going to replace the bonds....

and that among other reasons is why I am shying away from momentum trading for now and waiting for low ball stinker bids to hit in the MReit sector

yesterday was a nice up day, but the gain/loser ratio was terrible as was the volume soft.... it was a good day to sell into strength.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
another midweek special update.

going into the end of this week is proving to be nerve wracking because there are a lot of holes in the data supplied by the gov't.

I won't bore anyone with all of the details, but 1 of the 2 most important data points facing the market now is how the dollar will respond to the european crisis. As the dollar strengthens, we will see more down pressure on equities.

The other big kahuna is the unemployment rate. I personally think we're facing a larger-than-realized crisis. We have a lot of unemployed people. You want to find out for yourself? post an ad on craigslist seeking administrative assistant position that pays $10 per hour. I had med school students, ex-sales reps making 100k+, teachers, etc... many very overqualified people apply.

But I could never use my own experiences to apply to the vast, broad markets though the personal experiences are a good start- but then I saw this:

Bloomberg.com: TV and Radio

time will tell what happens to the market after the gov't data is accurately announced.

yesterday and today I had banner trading days. I cut my losses YTD by half despite maintaining large cash position.

ytd -1.5%, on par with Dow at -1.51%, nasdaq at -3.45% and S&P at -1.6%

bought and sold yesterday and today: ANH and ZSTN

good luck to us all.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I think we're all anxious to find out what your strategy is and which companies you've invested in.... any info would be greatly appreciated.

I second that.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
it's simple really. I look at the big picture. Right now, BRIC means money to me. This is Brazil, Russia, India and China.

You may not have heard about Brazil or Russia, but I am sure you heard about India and maybe China. They are expanding at a very fast rate. Currently, they are undergoing an economic revolution. Once there was a time where China and India had two classes, the poor and the rich. Now, they are moving into having a middle class.

Okay, that's great. What does this mean???

This means that the the poor people that are turning into the middle class can afford more things than they could of before. They can afford cars, electronics etc, but one thing I KNOW for a FACT is that they are going to buy more meat/food. This is huge for the expansion/growth of companies!

Now, India, the most populated country in the world has this brand new middle class that are buying tons more food than they did before simply because they can afford it.

Well what do you need for food??? You need plants/agriculture. Bottom Line.
You all of a sudden have this middle class that's going to eat tons of more meat. In order to do that, farmers need more cattle, in order to raise more cattle the cattle needs food. So you can imagine that the agriculture industries are going to expand very fast during these few years do to the massive demand for more food.

If you want more just ask. I'll try to explain in more detail if you would like.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
If you want more just ask. I'll try to explain in more detail if you would like.

I like your rationale. You are thinking from a macroeconomic perspective and chasing trends. Can you be more specific as to how you are capturing the opportunity?

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Can you be more specific as to what do you mean by "capturing the opportunity" :p

And yes, chasing trends is where it is at. Imagine if you could tell the future you would be rich if you were to invest in the stock market. Chasing trends lets you do that to some degree.

EDIT: I have no idea why I said YTD. It's been a long day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.