The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Secret Society

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Without sounding childish but has anyone here ever started or wanted to start a secret society in their own community?? Maybe you aren't allowed to say LOL :tiphat:

A couple of us are thinking of starting one and sort of wanted advice. OF course I can't really give details on what it would be about.. haha

There is no way I can talk about this without feeling like a child wanting to start a secret clubhouse.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
OK let me lay it out. We have a secret. The secret can be used for the better if we find others to help us. But we want to keep the secret hidden by only those who are part.

We are nervous about recruiting people. So my friend considered forming another secret society based on something else that was more "fun" and then over time try to learn who could keep that secret and then handpick a small few from into the real one.

I like the idea but

a) sounds like a lot of drama to me.
b) I don't have a secret for the 'fun' secret society and don't know how to create a secret if you will.
c) I don't want to waste my time doing stupid crap with some society I formed based on nothing.

The secret I have isn't anything major. It's not like I have the cure to cancer or old age. But it's something that I think is worth protecting and it would be ideal to have a group of people aware of it so when I die it gets passed on down through the generations.

:smxF:

marktech101

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 11, 2008
Durham, NC
I think we can all agree that it is far more lucrative to start a secret society than to join one.

I'm going to assume that you're considering this from a fastlane standpoint (with moneymaking the primary objective in the long run), as you've posted in the General Business Discussion. That said, we must analyze the moral / ethical implications of any secret society, including yours. Are you proposing a cult? It's been shown over and over in history that the people who start cults (L. Ron Hubbard, creator of Scientology; Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of Mormonism, etc.) are highly successful monetarily; however, they aren't always held in the highest regard by non-practitioners of their faith.

I'm just experimenting with ideas here; please argue with me, contest my thoughts, tell me if I've missed the point! I'm here to learn just as much as you are.

--Mark

EDIT: Well, you amended your original statement. Consider this a direct response to post #1, and disregard the second post in relation to reading this one.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
There is no moral or ethical issue here since the society wouldn't be of faith or undergo any illegal activities. There is possibly money to be made but it can easily be done through my business or my friend's business depending on how we went about it and it would be completely legal. The secret is the key to the whole thing. It's more of an effort to protect it and to pass it on.

I originally thought of passing it down to family members and keeping it in the family but decided against it since my friend is not family. Again this is nothing to get worked up over. The secret isn't anything majorly important to most people. It is for some but not for others because of the nature of what it is.

Boy I don't think I am making any sense. Am I? :smx6:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oracle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 25, 2009
Newberg, OR
of course you are not going to start a cult.

plenty of social fraternaties have existed for 200 years and not hurt anyone.

I think thats where you start is to talk to some people who are in social fraternaties.

So, your friend's idea sounds best to me, the fun secret society.

I have considered starting a secret society too, but you will make some people go looney because of the secret nature. Some people can't sleep at night knowing somewhere, someone is having a good time. Also, I think you would need some fairly serious capital and connections to get it going. It might be an idea to spin off an existing order.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Does anybody know anyone who has joined a secret society and credits that joining with a lot of profit or financial gain?

I know some Masons, but they don't seem to be any more successful than anyone else I know...

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

CamInBoise

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 27, 2009
Boise, ID

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I think start up capital would be bonus but I don't think it is necessary in what I am doing. I think the 2 things that will drive this is simply the secret and having connections would be huge.

I personally don't know of anyone in a secret club or society.

I am trying to find a way to not have a secret society but hire people to help make money using it. It probably wouldn't work very well unless I had a lot of money. That way people will get paid and be happy and not care what's on the inside if you will.... :smxF:

I guess I could have a goal to tie this into my fastlane approach.

Oracle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 25, 2009
Newberg, OR
Secrets of the Tomb is a great read abt Skull & Bones.

Nope, I dont personally know any secret society members that got rich via their society.

Getting into skull and bones would be a tall order, but there are always masterminds. What do you all think about that?

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Homer could help-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIXiIL50bw]YouTube - Stonecutters[/ame]

acb123

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 1, 2009
Washington D.C.
We're on a forum to share tips and ideas to help others. What would be the point of having a secret society? To withold tips, ideas and help? I don't know, just a thought.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.